Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, in the end it did involve cussing!
The belt fit fine, but in this car's case it did slightly rub on the compressor pulley.

I ended up removing 3 of the compressor bolts. The upper left, and the 2 lower ones. Loosened the upper right bolt so the compressor dropped at an angle which moved the pulley away from the belt. Cinched that remaining bolt back up so it won't rattle.
The cussing was directed at the near impossible to reach upper left bolt which could only be turned an 1/8" at a time. :banghead:
I also used an 820k6 belt which was sized correctly, but had to do the same thing you did with the compressor bolts. How long did it take you to turn those bolts? It only took me a mere 2 hours for 3 bolts and another 15 minutes to make sure I had everything the way I wanted it. So, yeah, no time at all... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I recently did this job (thanks to this site!) and am wondering if this is anything to worry about. I knew it would be close to rubbing on the A/C Pulley, but there was no real way for me to see it without driving it. I assume that it will no longer rub since it already made grooves on the belt. I just want to make sure it's safe to drive like this. This is an 82" 6 rib belt. I plan on driving this car for another 1-2 years maximum.

You can see in the pictures that it was just barely rubbing...Also note the thickness of the belt.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
I'm going to post this since I don't see it anywhere else on this topic:

Note: image is not to scale and pulley placement is conceptual.

If the belt is rubbing still, I suggest removing the A/C pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to post this since I don't see it anywhere else on this topic:

Note: image is not to scale and pulley placement is conceptual.

If the belt is rubbing still, I suggest removing the A/C pulley.
Yes, this is the routing diagram that I followed when I changed the belt. I have checked the belt regularly to see if the grooves have gotten any deeper. They haven't yet. I am just not sure if this weakens the belt, or makes it risky to drive.

·
Registered
341 Posts
A/C OUT !

I too might like to do something similar on my 2000 Taurus.

[ I'll read through thread more carefully now ]

Remove A/C compressor completely, and put shorter belt - if it is easy enough to do, without any complications.

Rest of A/C system in car has already been gutted and removed.
A/C plumbing and little tanks and hoses and A/C Rad in front of Engine RAD is all OUT (!) [ by me ].

Long story why ... but that's what I did.

A/C has not worked in long time / I have no intention of fixing it or spending money on it. Wanted it OUT completely, to simplify, clear room in the engine compartment, get rid of some dead weight / does not get so hot here (Canada) very often anyway ... don't need A/C all that much in this car anyway/car is older with lots of miles ... but I wanna keep it and keep it going - still running pretty well and kept in good repair etc. etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too might like to do something similar on my 2000 Taurus.

[ I'll read through thread more carefully now ]

Remove A/C compressor completely, and put shorter belt - if it is easy enough to do, without any complications.

Rest of A/C system in car has already been gutted and removed.
A/C plumbing and little tanks and hoses and A/C Rad in front of Engine RAD is all OUT (!) [ by me ].

Long story why ... but that's what I did.

A/C has not worked in long time / I have no intention of fixing it or spending money on it. Wanted it OUT completely, to simplify, clear room in the engine compartment, get rid of some dead weight / does not get so hot here (Canada) very often anyway ... don't need A/C all that much in this car anyway/car is older with lots of miles ... but I wanna keep it and keep it going - still running pretty well and kept in good repair etc. etc.
This is exactly my feeling. I don't plan on fixing the A/C. I just want to get another year or 2 out of the car. It runs well otherwise. I'm not sure if I am going to have to do anything about the clearance issue I am having or not. Like I said, the belt rubbed at one point and put grooves in the belt, but I am not sure if this is a problem or not. Anyone else have experience with this?

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
If you've got grooves in the belt, best to replace it.

If my AC failed you can bet I'd be moving ASAP to fix it... :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
So this is where I am at...I want to just remove the A/C Compressor completely since I just can't get it to work with the shorter belt. Is this doable without a lot of work involved?

·
Registered
22,439 Posts
I assume you tried an 82" belt? There are some compressor removal tutorials somewhere on the forum. May try the search feature up top. There's also a nice 1AAUTO video showing Vulcan compressor removal and bypass pulley installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume you tried an 82" belt? There are some compressor removal tutorials somewhere on the forum. May try the search feature up top. There's also a nice 1AAUTO video showing Vulcan compressor removal and bypass pulley installation.
Yes, I got the 820K6 from AZ. The belt just barely rubs on the A/C pulley, so I have to do something to avoid buying a 3rd belt. Whether it's taking the compressor totally out of the car, or bolting it back up in a way so it doesn't rub. Right now, all 4 compressor bolts are out..it's just attached to the A/C line on the right hand side until I figure something out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After removing all of the compressor bolts, I was able to re-position it at a slight angle so the belt would clear the A/C pulley. I secured it with the top-right bolt and it's as solid as it needs to be. I wasn't too fond of disconnecting the A/C line into the compressor since I am not sure what kind of pressure it's still holding. All is good now! The car will get me through my last year of grad school :lol2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So either I missed something, I'm an idiot (or maybe both) or someone who worked on my car before me was...

Long story short - the clutch and compressor on my wife's '98 3.0 Vulcan locked up. I went to do this bypass to get her on the road again, and discovered that the belt on the engine was already an 82" belt... What the hell??I know I had a hell of a time getting it back on when I replaced the water pump a few months ago, but 4"??? (Autozone.com says I need an 86" belt normally). I didn't end up trying the bypass route as we kinda got to a stopping point for the night, but its first thing on the agenda tomorrow morning.

Thoughts or suggestions??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update in case it helps any one else... Turn out my original belt wasn't an 82", it was the 86"... me and my dad evidently suck at judging the similarity in belt size. I tried the 82" on, and while it fit, it just barely engaged the tensioner. We we did some measuring, went back and I was given the option of a belt 1", 1.5" or 2" short. Decided based on our measuring I wanted the 1.5. Got home and discovered I was wrong - too short. So we ended up with an 81" belt that fit well and engaged the tensioner enough I wasn't afraid it would slip once it stretched out a bit. Did end up having to use a handful of washers to get the A/C compressor out of the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, heres my deal. After reading this thread Im still confused.
I have a 1990 Ford Taurus. 3.0L V6
My ac compressor has seized and is smelling bad but belt has not (yet) snapped.
Was told by parts guys that I cannot simply use a shorter belt to bypass my ac compressor. I can get a bypass pulley and new belt for $80 but will take 3 days for them to get, for some dumb reason.
My dad thinks we should go to the scrap yard and get a new ac compressor unit and install that.
My concern, that doing it his way will be way harder and take longer than installing a bypass pulley. Any thoughts? I need my car up and running before Monday so Im stressing big time. We dont really know what we're doing either. Going to pick up a mechanics manual perhaps will help? Was hoping to get some diagrams on how to do this... suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes there is a U in the SN. Why would parts guys tell me bs about needing a bypass pulley. Ok so what I should do is take off the old belt and buy a short one.. There were so many different sizes given on here not sure which length I need

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
The parts guy may not have looked it up and just thought Tec. There seems to be some variation in what I have read on sizes as well. Perhaps there is a difference with years. I would just get all three and return the 2 that you don't need. Rockauto.com shows 67.5 or 67.75 w/out A/C. Check it out.

41 - 60 of 131 Posts
About this Discussion
130 Replies
66 Participants
Lgbpop
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing