Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

one of my fellow 3.0 v6 vulcan probe owners finally took his turbo 3.0 probe (the first of its kind) to the dyno after few months of installing the turbo and got the following numbers:

Well my first time at the dyno and this is what the 3.0l turbo made.
252.5 @5000
[email protected]

here is what happened during this run according to him.

15psi with 91 octane with stock advance. I had major problems with running rich. The motech wideband o2 he had to measure a/f ratio only goes down to 10.3 to 1 where i was, way below that where the motor was studdering from the plugs being wet. I want an a/f of around 11.5-12.0 and this is where i was.
rpm a/f kpa
2350 11.5 123.3
2419 11.0 126.83
2545 10.3 134.66
2500-5000 rpm the car showed lower than 10.3 a/f ratio.

everything below this completely went off the graph. I start making boost around 2300 rpm so this car is extremely rich right off the start and chocking on the top end.

His screen name in probetalk.com is turboed jimmy and is the only guy that we know of to turbo a 3.0 vulcan v6 powered probe.

BTW he IS running on stock internals but as you can see hes been having a hard time tunning this setup

might be getting the video of this run on the net soon for everyone to enjoy

J

·
0 Posts
Very cool! B) I hope it all works out!

Now that's what mad vulcan powah is all about! :D

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Couldn't he stuff on a bigger turbo and leave the tuning alone? That way, he'd get more air to lean it out a little. Just keep cramming more boost into the engine until the injectors can't keep up. :thumb:

:grin2: j/k

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by Probe_Racer@May 2 2004, 11:20 PM

Well my first time at the dyno and this is what the 3.0l turbo made.
252.5 @5000
[email protected]

BTW he IS running on stock internals but as you can see hes been having a hard time tunning this setup

Mad vulcan powah right there. 100+hp boost at the wheels with stock vulcan internals.

Is that on a sho tranny?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Negative, that is on a stock 3.0 Probe MTX.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Damn, I sound like I'm a rep for the company, but I've said ti before, and I've said it again- Electromotive TEC III ECU. Total engine control-- he can lean that sucker out real easy and tune on the fly with this puppy. Almost sounds like cost isn't an issue with him, so maybe he can afford the 2.5k pricetag, but I must say, it works wonders for the SR20 I play with. It's just awesome.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by pin@May 3 2004, 10:20 PM
So is the probe mtx like the sho mtx or like the tempo mtx?

How much torque do you think it will take to tear out 3rd gear with a vulcan??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris+May 6 2004, 08:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Patrick Norris @ May 6 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pin@May 3 2004, 10:20 PM

How much torque do you think it will take to tear out 3rd gear with a vulcan?? [/b][/quote]
:blink: I don't know the answer to either of those questions. To the best of my knowledge it's a Mazda transaxle that has a unique bellhousing to bolt onto the Vulcan. What's with the second question? I've never heard of anyone with a 1st-gen Probe destroying 3rd gear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by pin+May 6 2004, 10:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pin @ May 6 2004, 10:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Patrick [email protected] 6 2004, 08:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-pin
@May 3 2004, 10:20 PM

How much torque do you think it will take to tear out 3rd gear with a vulcan??
:blink: I don't know the answer to either of those questions. To the best of my knowledge it's a Mazda transaxle that has a unique bellhousing to bolt onto the Vulcan. What's with the second question? I've never heard of anyone with a 1st-gen Probe destroying 3rd gear. [/b][/quote]
I think the sho mtx is also a mazda unit.

I said it because the s/c and turbo shos that make over 400 ft/lbs of torque are always tearing apart the transmissions. Specifically 3rd gear because it is a very narrow gear and the torque tears the teeth right off.

Since the probe mtx likely isn't built up like the sho mtx then with a stock tranny and a properly tuned turbo vulcan eventually would suffer the same fate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts