Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

What's your opinion of the Vulcan engine?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like that guy sold you a lemon man, sorry to hear that.

Most taken care of or midly abused Vulcans are complete tanks otherwise. But there's always those cases that you wish you didn't have.
I know. Today.... I was quoted 700-1700$ o well.
It is a very nice one

·
Registered
676 Posts
Everyone has mentioned power, torque, reliability, milage, and the sound. But no-one mentioned something I found out last month.

I thought my Taurus had a blown head gasket (did, but also had cracked head from overheating), so I called around to see who was willing to work on it.

Both of the shops I called asked if I had the Deltec "DOHC" engine or the Vulcan "SOHC" engine. Turns out neither of them wanted to work on the Deltec with it's duel overhead cams and balance shaft. But both shops were more than willing to work on the Vulcan.
Good point.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have had both engines. Both wagons.

There is a noticeable slowness in the Vulcan.

But, after the first week with the Vulcan I didn't notice nor care.

I am not in a hurry anymore. Younger days I was always in a hurry. Passing everyone and buzzing around cars in city. Going to work, night school. Home. Hurry, hurry, hurry.

Interesting as one ages - the need to hurry lessens.

·
Administrator
14,915 Posts
I have had both engines. Both wagons.

There is a noticeable slowness in the Vulcan.

But, after the first week with the Vulcan I didn't notice nor care.

I am not in a hurry anymore. Younger days I was always in a hurry. Passing everyone and buzzing around cars in city. Going to work, night school. Home. Hurry, hurry, hurry.

I have been discovering the same thing. Not sure whether it is because experience has made me a better planner or age has made me just not give a damn. Either way I am a lot more comfortable with the skin I am in. Just wish that skin felt the way it used to.

Old Penn Dutch saying:

"We grow too soon old and too late smart"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Imma go with tec. Have not owned a tec before but my 01 vulcan was beat by minivan taxi... all my friends cars seem faster.. no one will race me. Lol.
Well now I cant :( bad TCC...

Though months ago not sure on models/years I beat 3 civics with "loud" engine with wife and 3 kids in the car...

Also my taurii.. I got the bad apple. Pro: I habe a reason to learn about cars and do something. Con: reliablity, $$$$$$

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sure seems that way to me. I have more responsibility, more pressure, more things of true importance to get done than when I was 25, yet I am far more prone to just taking my time.

Either way I am a lot more comfortable with the skin I am in. Just wish that skin felt the way it used to.
Same here, and I just wish I had less of it too!

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
There are so many Duratec's sitting around that if you blow a head gasket (rare) you just stick a JY motor in.

The Duratec doesn't mind crusing around slowly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Durable, reliable and cost effective to maintain. I have had 3, 2 Bulls and one Ranger, and it is hard to believe the one in the Ranger was the same engine it was so slow and thirsty. On the flip side that truck had 294k miles without an internal engine repair before it was laid open from end to end by a plow truck swinging too wide on the other side if the road.
As for the cars, there may be easier FWD 6 cylinder engines out there to work on, but I haven't seen one.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Durable, reliable and cost effective to maintain. I have had 3, 2 Bulls and one Ranger, and it is hard to believe the one in the Ranger was the same engine it was so slow and thirsty. On the flip side that truck had 294k miles without an internal engine repair before it was laid open from end to end by a plow truck swinging too wide on the other side if the road.
As for the cars, there may be easier FWD 6 cylinder engines out there to work on, but I haven't seen one.
Hear, hear. Probably the most succinct way to put it. I will say that having done so much to maintain my own cars since the 1970s, this Taurus and its drivetrain have made me as comfortable doing my own work as any FWD layout could. Far better than my daughter's Hondas or current VW, and accessibility for a FWD layout compares favorably to anything else I've driven. (Don't even mention Mopar layouts to me, those make me cringe. Really, battery access from beneath the car??)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
^+1, I'm sure we can all agree that while our cars aren't the easiest to work on, even a V8 SHO has a better layout than some other manufacturers designs. Like a Honda element for example, access to the oil filter through the gap between the control arm and the sub frame...LOL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
328 Posts
I decided to do a little test with the Vulcan and put it up against my friend's '96 DeVille with a Northstar V8. To put it nicely, I lost.

:p

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Ugh, someone lock this thread. I'm tired of seeing it.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Yeah, no kidding.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
194 Replies
107 Participants
Ben
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing