Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.0 ohv engine and when I changed spark plugs, my "friend" pulled the wires off the coil pack while I was reaching around the engine for spark plug #1!!! He said he remembers where they went but the var is running rough. It sounds like it is barely misfiring every couple seconds. this is how they are hooked up now;

fire wall
radiator

Is this correct?

Any Help is appreciated,

shomanship

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Welcome to TCCA.

I believe you have 4 & 6 reversed at the coil pack. It should be

If you're replacing the plugs & wires, be sure to use the specified double platinum plugs & a good wire set like Motorcraft, as the waste spark ignition system works this system TWICE as hard, so the components need to be designed to stand up to the extra work load, or you'll soon be back in there.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
The physical arrangement of the cylinders is this:

fire wall
radiator

the arrangement of the wires is usually *on* the coil pack, I found mine under a bunch of grime.
On mine, it reads like this:

firewall
5 1
6 2
4 3
radiator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (900Trophy @ May 14 2009, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725070
The physical arrangement of the cylinders is this:

fire wall
radiator

the arrangement of the wires is usually *on* the coil pack, I found mine under a bunch of grime.
On mine, it reads like this:

firewall
5 1
6 2
4 3
radiator[/b]
Thanks everyone. I did have 4 and 6 backwards. I have since printed out a pic from Auto Zone. It would appear to me I have 1 and 3 backwards also. I still have a slight hesitation. Here are the pics from auto zone and my current configuration:
AUTOZONE
firewall
123 piston config
firewall
4 3 coil pack postion
6 2
5 1

MY CONFIGURATION
firewall
123 piston config

coil pack is in front not on side

I AM TRYING TO UPLOAD A PHOTO OR LINK FOR THE4 AUTO ZONE PIC.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinf...900c152802380ae

TRY THIS LINK???

THANKS AGAIN

shomanship

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Look in your Haynes repair manual & it should have a pictorial of your coil pack.

On the waste spark ignition system coil, cyl's 1&5-2&6-3&4 are paired together such that when one of the pairs plug is being fired on it's power stroke, the other cyl's plug is being fired on it's exhaust stroke (waste spark)

Seeing as how we only have 3 coils in the coil pack, to provide spark to 6 plugs, one bank of plugs get a positive polarity spark, which eminates from the center electrode to the ground lug, while the other banks plug on the other end of the same coil, gets a reverse polarity (negitive going) spark, that eminates from it's ground lug, to the center electrode, thus the need for using double platinum plugs in our waste spark ignition system.

If we choose single platinum plugs, the ground lug in the negative going bank will erode fast & we'll soon have a miss problem, from excessive spark gap.
Using double platium plugs, we don't have to worry about which plugs to put in what cyl bank, just check the gap & go!!!!

Plug wires not designed for the extra work load of the waste spark system, aren't likely to last long either.

On the hesitation, maybe a clogged air filter, or diry MAF sensor, causing it to be slow to respond to air flow change, when you open the throttle.

If you decide to clean it, remove it & use a non residual spray recipe especially formulated for cleaning MAF sensors, like CRC MAF Sensor Spray Cleaner & don't touch the wire grid, or allow it to get dirty on installing.

More thoughts for pondering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts