Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(apologies if this is already posted somewhere on here and has been answered already..I am new to the post)

I have a 2000 Ford Tarus 3.0 liter (FFV) with 90k and the engine died on me. I will replace the enging, but would *LOVE* to find a DOHC 24v engine to put in instead. There is a boneyard near me that has one from a 2003 with about 30k on it. I imagine I will have to replace the computer, but does anyone know how easy / difficult it would be to undertake? Details? Thanx in advance!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
i better get to this before someone else yell at you for it

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

now with that out of the way, there are a few threads on this already. AFAIK it hasn't been done yet, but between the cost of the engine and the labor (not to mention depreciation of out cars), it would be easier and cheaper to buy a 2000 taurus with a duratec.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Welcome to the club!....Search the engine and drivetrin forum. Unless your buying the whole car from jhe junk yard...dont bother. Its MUCH easier cheaper and quicker to have the whole car.

Your new, so ill help ya out! :p

COMPLETE engine
All accesories (A/C, Alt, PS Pump, ETC)
Computer
Engine Wire Harness
Coolant tank
All associated PS, cooling, vacuum hoses, etc.
maybe tranny...not sure is bell housing is the same (either way your gonna want the newer on with the reputation these have)
Motor mounts and brackets
ETC.

Also, the fuel tank is diffrent as there are diffrent/additional evap emmisions stuff on the ffv fuel tank as well as there is an "octane plug" or fuel type sensor that will no longer be used. Not sure if that will cause an issue or not considering the wiring is on the body and not the engine.

Alot to replace. Thats the reason for needing the whole car, just drop the old subframe.engine.tranny and then bolt up the new one as well as change a few minor things and BAM done!

There are a few things tyou can do to boost your engine performance, especially the duratec. Search for "baby sho"

Brad

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:( awww.... youre gonna ditch the awesomely awesome ffv?!??

I understand your need for power. Its gonna cost a heck of a lot, get ev-er-y-thing from the other car. you may run into problems with the 2000-->20003 swap. few things were different on the 2000 tec's vs. the 03 tecs like the coil on plug ignition. If you can get it all to work well, it will be a really nice swap. Take pix's if you go through with it. B)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think it would be well worth it if you get a good price on the engine and accessories,
A 2003 Duratec sel with about 30,000 miles will run you 14,000 at a dealer and your car being worth around 7000 (if it's running)
So if You can get it done for less than the middle road Your in good shape,

Hope that was a little more helpfull than everyone else saying no right awy,
what the hell is with all this negativity lately anyway, if this site makes you that mad dont come back, you were that same new person here asking the same "Dumb Questions" before, if you don't have anything nice to say dont say it at all.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ok question... why did the engine die at such a young "age" ? 90k Miles?! Definitely not the norm for these engines to croak.....

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Sep 27 2004, 09:00 PM
:(  awww.... youre gonna ditch the awesomely awesome ffv?!?? 

I understand your need for power.  Its gonna cost a heck of a lot, get ev-er-y-thing from the other car.  you may run into problems with the 2000-->20003 swap.  few things were different on the 2000 tec's vs. the 03 tecs like the coil on plug ignition.  If you can get it all to work well, it will be a really nice swap.  Take pix's if you go through with it.  B)

how it that an issue? :blink: neither car has coil on plug, and even if one did and the other did not, then when the swap occures, you are going to replace the harness and ecu with the one off the newer duratec, so everythings good! :)

EDIT: hes not going from tec to tec, he wans to go from FFV vulcan to duratec.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by glaurick@Sep 27 2004, 09:12 PM
I think it would be well worth it if you get a good price on the engine and accessories,
A 2003 Duratec sel with about 30,000 miles will run you 14,000 at a dealer and your car being worth around 7000 (if it's running)
So if You can get it done for less than the middle road Your in good shape,

Hope that was a little more helpfull than everyone else saying no right awy,
what the hell is with all this negativity lately anyway, if this site makes you that mad dont come back, you were that same new person here asking the same "Dumb Questions" before, if you don't have anything nice to say dont say it at all.
Excuse me? Lay off the crack pipe! :unsure:

Id like to see one example of negitivity, let alone anyone saying "no you can do it"

Every response in this thread has been nothing but helpful! (except for yours...)

Lay off the negitivity yourself please!

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01@Sep 27 2004, 09:43 PM
Ok question... why did the engine die at such a young "age" ? 90k Miles?! Definitely not the norm for these engines to croak.....
wondering the same thing myself!

G

·
Originally posted by Baby SHO+Sep 27 2004, 08:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baby SHO @ Sep 27 2004, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xmann01@Sep 27 2004, 09:43 PM
wondering the same thing myself! [/b][/quote]
You shouldn't be surprised Brad. You witnessed the demise of my Vulcan during ROTB'03. That was at 78k miles.

In my case, the head gasket blew. It was due to insufficient cooling because of the lack of a bypass tube for the heater core, and the brown coolant issue the early G3's suffer from. The deck surface of the block was corroded, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get a head gasket to seal properly.

Disgusted and dismayed, and basically pissed off because I still had a year of payments left, I replaced the engine with a 126k mile one from a 96 wreck. This one had the bypass kit installed originally, and to this day is still in the car and running fine. We've even had it on a road course (Gingerman in May), and had absolutely no problems with it.

imreut, what was the cause of failure of your engine?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO+Sep 27 2004, 08:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baby SHO @ Sep 27 2004, 08:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Taurussetypes@Sep 27 2004, 09:00 PM
:(  awww.... youre gonna ditch the awesomely awesome ffv?!?? 

I understand your need for power.  Its gonna cost a heck of a lot, get ev-er-y-thing from the other car.  you may run into problems with the 2000-->20003 swap.  few things were different on the 2000 tec's vs. the 03 tecs like the coil on plug ignition.  If you can get it all to work well, it will be a really nice swap.  Take pix's if you go through with it.  B)

how it that an issue? :blink: neither car has coil on plug, and even if one did and the other did not, then when the swap occures, you are going to replace the harness and ecu with the one off the newer duratec, so everythings good! :)

EDIT: hes not going from tec to tec, he wans to go from FFV vulcan to duratec. [/b][/quote]
yeah, just realized that after i checked over it.

Terribly sorry. *takes $.02 back*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for all the responses (even the negative ones I guess :) ) I went on a trip to see a friend in Indiana (15 hour ride one way as I live in Mass). Coming through PA on the way home, the oil light started to come on. I checked the oil, but it was full. Tried to find a service station in the middle of the stix and oil light was coming on solid (no luck, had to drive for another hour). Found a place that could tell me nothing and wanted to charge me a fortune. There was another place close by, so attempted to chance it and drive a little further. Finally found a place that did some diagnostics and told me I had extremely low oil pressure (0 -5 psi). I am thinking the oil pump went at some point in my journey(?). Just guessing as I haven't looked at it myself. I grabbed a rental and came home. I am having it towed back on Thursday. The engine could still be OK and an oil pump might fix my problem, but I don't have gobs of time to work on it and don't wan't to chance that it has some internal problems as a result, so I am just going to do a swap and be done with it.

G

·
Originally posted by imreut@Sep 28 2004, 09:34 AM
Thanx for all the responses (even the negative ones I guess :) ) I went on a trip to see a friend in Indiana (15 hour ride one way as I live in Mass). Coming through PA on the way home, the oil light started to come on. I checked the oil, but it was full. Tried to find a service station in the middle of the stix and oil light was coming on solid (no luck, had to drive for another hour). Found a place that could tell me nothing and wanted to charge me a fortune. There was another place close by, so attempted to chance it and drive a little further. Finally found a place that did some diagnostics and told me I had extremely low oil pressure (0 -5 psi). I am thinking the oil pump went at some point in my journey(?). Just guessing as I haven't looked at it myself. I grabbed a rental and came home. I am having it towed back on Thursday. The engine could still be OK and an oil pump might fix my problem, but I don't have gobs of time to work on it and don't wan't to chance that it has some internal problems as a result, so I am just going to do a swap and be done with it.
Don't have it towed to MA. Have it towed to my shop in RI. I'm a part time side business, so I don't have to get the labor rates most shops do. I can guarantee we'll have it up and running for most likely half of what you'll pay anywhere else.

Call me, seriously, I'd like to help you out. My cell is 401 954 3694, leave a message if I don't answer. Most of the guys (and gal) on the site can vouch for the quality of my work. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"even if it still ran, i would not bother with that engine, d just chuck it out..."
It does still run. I agree. It isn't worth the time. It may go on ebay for parts or something.

"Don't have it towed to MA. Have it towed to my shop in RI. I'm a part time side business, so I don't have to get the labor rates most shops do. I can guarantee we'll have it up and running for most likely half of what you'll pay anywhere else."

Thanks for the offer. The guy I rented the car from in PA is the same guy towing my car back to MA for me. He owns a rent a wreck franchise. He is going to drop off my car and pick up his at the same time, so he has to come here. Tempting offer tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts