Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Throttle Valve or Modulator
To shift properly, the automatic transmission has to know how hard the engine is working. There are two different ways that this is done. Some cars have a simple cable linkage connected to a throttle valve in the transmission. The further the gas pedal is pressed, the more pressure is put on the throttle valve. Other cars use a vacuum modulator to apply pressure to the throttle valve. The modulator senses the manifold pressure, which drops when the engine is under a greater load."
This if from howstuffworks.com. Im curious if any of you have any thoughts on this? Do tauruses use the Throttle Valve or Vacuum Modulator? If they use a Vacuum Modulator which senses manifold pressure to actuate the transmission wouldnt a forced induction application, which would often eliminate manifold vacuum states, confuse the ATX? I know DMX has forced induction and he hasnt even really done any mods to his ATX...Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The TV cable was only on some Gen 2s. I believe the regular AXOD uses TV cable, whereas the AXOD-E(AX4S) and AX4N do not. Not really sure though...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is a 95 gl and it has OD...I wish i could fint out exactly what the code is for the tranny, but i havent been able to...

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Lazarus@Jan 21 2004, 03:52 PM
mine is a 95 gl and it has OD...I wish i could fint out exactly what the code is for the tranny, but i havent been able to...
Go to the home page and use the VIN # lookup. All our ATXs have OD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the vin decoder isn't working and it hasnt for a while i dont think, anyway if anyone does know what it means mine is: 1FALP52U8SA183477

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone must have butted up against this before!...What ive read suggests even slightly altering the intake characteristics would affect the amount of vacuum in the manifold and thereby affect the transmission sensor...

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Lazarus@Jan 21 2004, 08:46 PM
Someone must have butted up against this before!...What ive read suggests even slightly altering the intake characteristics would affect the amount of vacuum in the manifold and thereby affect the transmission sensor...
No need to worry. Taurus transmissions have always been controlled by a TV cable, or electronically. They never had a vacuum modulator.

If they had though, there are adjustable vacuum regulators made that will work on an application like this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, thanks Bob!
I would imagine the regulators for the vacuum modulated transmissions must be a real pain to set properly...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts