Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 mercury sable and I was wondering if anyone has done any performance upgrades to the 3.0 duratec engine? Like intake, heads, cams? Or a tune? Any ideas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Twin turbos or nothing. :D

Ever do any research on Noble/Roission? They use 3.0L Duratecs for those cars, after much probing, some people managed to get some detailed info out of the engine supplier. Aside from some performance fasteners, pistons and specialized gaskets, the Duratec is stock. It uses stock cams, stock head castings (With no work done to them), stock crank and rods. IIRC they use a pair of T25 turbos and have been known to crank out upwards of 455 BHP in a production form (There was a Youtube video of a modified one on an engine dyno hitting over 900 BHP).

Besides that, there are some parts available for them. Mondeo ST220 valve springs can be purchased from BAT Inc, they are the strongest factory valve spring for a Duratec. Cam swaps from an SVT Contour or Ford Escape or Mazda6, all three have different cam profiles on intake and exhaust. The Mazda6 cam had variable valve timing on the intake cam, so it cannot be used and it was not a simple design either. The 2009+ Escapes featured a mechanical "ratcheting" variable valve timing mechanism on the intake cam and could possibly be retrofitted to work. As for aftermarket cams, I only know of one supplier, CAT Cams out of Belgium. Nautilus Performance sells a few trinkets, of particular interest is their lower intake manifold which on the cylinder head side has oval ports and on the intake manifold side has split ports. That allows you to use oval port heads with split port intakes (Split port intakes like the SVT Contour intake or the 2000/2001 aluminum "semi-split-port", this one featured large main runners that just ended in a split-port flange. Very easy to port.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I see Headers for the Duratec on the Nautilus page, will those fit?
Will they bolt on? Absolutely. Will they fit with the existing y-pipe? Not a chance.

I mentioned this to someone else awhile back, buy the headers by themselves if you can and have an exhaust shop fabricate a y-pipe for you.

Also see if you can track down Jesse Kinger, he used to own PnPHeads.com (Now a dead site), and he specialized in Duratec head porting. He posted the flow data before and after and it was pretty impressive for just porting and polishing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Would upgrading to the Mondeo valve springs be worth the cost?
With stock cams, the main and rod bearings will give out before you reach the point of valve float.

I wouldn't invest in those valve springs until you got a radical cam upgrade from Cat Cams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts