Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 02 SEL with the 24V 3.0L just rolled over 1/4 million miles yesterday. Original engine and trans. These are mostly city miles. I got the car a couple of years ago from the widow of a life long friend of mine. He delivered parts for a local parts house in it, as well as a daily driver. this is just proof that if you keep up with the regular scheduled maintenance, a vehicle can last a very long time. Looking into the oil fill hole, the engine is still clean inside. I'm hoping that it will last at lest another 225,000 miles. The car is fully loaded (leather, adj pedals, side air bags, Mach stereo system with cassette and 6 disc CD in the floor shifted console, 6 way power passenger seat as well as a power sunroof and automatic climate control). Not bad for a $400 car.
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG

·
Registered
288 Posts
So, my 02 SEL with the 24V 3.0L just rolled over 1/4 million miles yesterday.
I’m not really familiar with the weather in the Louisville vicinity. How is the car holding up against rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
So, my 02 SEL with the 24V 3.0L just rolled over 1/4 million miles yesterday. Original engine and trans. These are mostly city miles. I got the car a couple of years ago from the widow of a life long friend of mine. He delivered parts for a local parts house in it, as well as a daily driver. this is just proof that if you keep up with the regular scheduled maintenance, a vehicle can last a very long time. Looking into the oil fill hole, the engine is still clean inside. I'm hoping that it will last at lest another 225,000 miles. The car is fully loaded (leather, adj pedals, side air bags, Mach stereo system with cassette and 6 disc CD in the floor shifted console, 6 way power passenger seat as well as a power sunroof and automatic climate control). Not bad for a $400 car. View attachment 215548 View attachment 215548 View attachment 215549 View attachment 215549
Maybe you could use the cluster I have in my shop, start over. In the JY here in the rust belt cars arrive due to rust and parts like this are common. I took this from the car that I got the ABS/TCS module from for my '03. Needed the amber ABS lamp so took the whole thing.
I started in UK in '58 and later to EKU later.
Congrats on your Bull.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not really familiar with the weather in the Louisville vicinity. How is the car holding up against rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has a little rust on the driver side quarter panel on the thin part between the wheel and rear door. Pretty solid everywhere else. Seems to be a common spot on others that I have seen around here before.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,057 Posts
The Tec will go forever.

The transaxle it’s attached to...not so much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, my 02 SEL with the 24V 3.0L just rolled over 1/4 million miles yesterday. Original engine and trans. These are mostly city miles. I got the car a couple of years ago from the widow of a life long friend of mine. He delivered parts for a local parts house in it, as well as a daily driver. this is just proof that if you keep up with the regular scheduled maintenance, a vehicle can last a very long time. Looking into the oil fill hole, the engine is still clean inside. I'm hoping that it will last at lest another 225,000 miles. The car is fully loaded (leather, adj pedals, side air bags, Mach stereo system with cassette and 6 disc CD in the floor shifted console, 6 way power passenger seat as well as a power sunroof and automatic climate control). Not bad for a $400 car.
Hey, congratulations! It looks great outside, as well.

My third-hand 2004 24v is about to reach 200K. I'm putting only 5K on it annually, and my purchase took it out of the rust-bucket region so I have only a couple of rust spots. I'm catching up on overdue ATF changes, however, and just replaced the stock ATF pan with a drain-tapped one to make that easier.

My only complaint is this car has the dark-blue paint problem, and is peeling everywhere like a little kid at the beach.

Best wishes for your forever-Bull!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 2004 Tec is in the shop right now receiving a 51,000 mile replacement. The original engine has almost 308,000 miles on it and was still running pretty good but the low oil pressure light was coming on. We hooked up an external gauge and found it had less than 10 lbs of pressure. I was having trouble sending the car to the JY mostly because I had put new EVERYTHING on it in the past 20,000 miles including transmission and Air Conditioning, power steering pump, tires, brakes, cats and the list goes on. When I found a 51,000 mile engine in a freshly damaged 2005 at a very reputable salvage operation for $275 it was game on! So.....hopefully I will be driving toward 400,000 miles by next week. I've owned the car since 2008. Have always been crazy about it. Crazy would be an accurate word. I must be totally nuts? I also own a nearly new Acura. Its a great car too but there is something about that old Taurus.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It has a little rust on the driver side quarter panel on the thin part between the wheel and rear door. Pretty solid everywhere else. Seems to be a common spot on others that I have seen around here before.
If you have the skills or money, splurge a little and get that fixed. It's well worth it to get rid of sheet metal cancer. If you're doing really low miles, hopefully you don't have to drive it too much on salted roads or have the ability to get it cleaned very soon after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts