Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say unique because my housing looks like this:

Bicycle part Gas Cylinder Auto part Nickel

I borrowed this photo from the forum to show the style of housing that is in my 2003 Taurus With the 3.0 Duratec engine. My main assembly is good but I just need the short flange that bolts onto it. Problem is a couple parts stores as well as a local Ford dealership shows a totally different housing. I have been to Rock Auto in a range of years around 2003 and have not been able to find a direct replacement either.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ice445. I’ll keep an eye on my local junkyards for availability. None available at the moment.

In my investigation it appears Ford had issues with their plastic parts in the cooling system across a few models. I came across a Explorer post mentioning a service kit that included several pieces to update/upgrade the cooling system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a junkyard I went to today had about 2 dozen Taurus’ a few Escapes a Mazda MPV and a couple Mazda M6’s. Only about a quarter of the Taurus’ had the Duratec engines and none of them had a Thermostat housing like mine.

I ended up taking this one from the Mazda MPV. It’s got the same shape as mine but it doesn’t have the coolant sensor. I’m thinking I can add it be drilling and taping or adding a coolant sensor at another spot on the engine.

One thing I noticed about my Taurus is that the coolant line transverses across the engine bay to the passenger side. Most of them at the junkyard attached to the radiator on the drivers side.

I must have a very unique and rare Taurus. I should auction it off on EBay!
Bicycle part Automotive design Automotive exterior Household appliance accessory Bumper

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
So a junkyard I went to today had about 2 dozen Taurus’ a few Escapes a Mazda MPV and a couple Mazda M6’s. Only about a quarter of the Taurus’ had the Duratec engines and none of them had a Thermostat housing like mine.

I ended up taking this one from the Mazda MPV. It’s got the same shape as mine but it doesn’t have the coolant sensor. I’m thinking I can add it be drilling and taping or adding a coolant sensor at another spot on the engine.

One thing I noticed about my Taurus is that the coolant line transverses across the engine bay to the passenger side. Most of them at the junkyard attached to the radiator on the drivers side.

I must have a very unique and rare Taurus. I should auction it off on EBay! View attachment 219351
I have '03 Sable and '03 Taurus both DOHC. The wiring is different, the A/C plumbing is different. Did not know until I put a belt on the Taurus and it was super cramped around the Alt pulley. Sable had free open to the frame.
Best of luck.
-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts