Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 with 3.0, has coil paks and NO cam snycro. It runs fine until 4k then starts cutting out, almost like switching on a Jake Brake on a diesel. It does this in park or under load (in drive foot on brake) and it will not rev over 42k with peddle to the metal.

No codes scan, and I had a scan gauge connected while testing and fuel pressure remained constant.

It is a 1 owner car with 74K, no previous problems. Due to health issues car gets very little use, 100 miles a month at best and only at low speeds.

My son borrowed the car while I was repairing his and noticed the problem while driving on interstate.

Any Ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm assuming it's the 'tec 3.0.

In park/neutral, 4k is your rev limiter to stop the engine from going critical mass.

If you're brake-torquing it to 4k rpm, then you're going to break your transmission.

I know when my vulcan was running lean, it would ping at WOT going up a hill around 4k, and the knock sensor would kick in like a rev limiter. I don't know if 'tecs behave the same.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm assuming it's the 'tec 3.0.

In park/neutral, 4k is your rev limiter to stop the engine from going critical mass.

If you're brake-torquing it to 4k rpm, then you're going to break your transmission.

I know when my vulcan was running lean, it would ping at WOT going up a hill around 4k, and the knock sensor would kick in like a rev limiter. I don't know if 'tecs behave the same.
On the vulcan....what knock sensor? B)

What the hell are you testing with 4k rpm and a foot on the brake? If my son would try this, I would slap him in the face:lol2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If it's a Vulcan and cutting out around 4K rpm IN GEAR DRIVING it might be your Crank position sensor, I have to replace mine because it's cutting out at 4k under acceleration. But if your brake standing it and it's going to 4K then you have more problems than you know. Then again a Tec would do the same thing if the CKP sensor was bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct about rev limiter, I didn't know it had one. Why 4k an old pushrod motor can rev to 5k without gernading?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
You are correct about rev limiter, I didn't know it had one. Why 4k an old pushrod motor can rev to 5k without gernading?
a tweaked vulcan can rev 6,200 rpm in 1st gear an up to 5,900 in 4th

·
Registered
25 Posts
uhh, how the hell did you get it to rev to 4k in gear with your foot on the brake? I didnt know they made 4k stall converters for tauruses...from what it sounds like to me is that your cat or something in the exhaust system is clogged or clogging...Things to check...air filter, trans filter/fluid, cats...all three of em:thumbsdown:. Also...if it was a crank sensor...the car wouldnt run good AT ALL...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Also...if it was a crank sensor...the car wouldnt run good AT ALL...
I STRONGLY Disagree, I monitored my CKP Sensor at lunch today using an advanced scan tool and right at 3750 RPM it goes Whacky, I do infact have a bad CKP sensor but the car runs fine when not floored. The sensor magnet can become weak and when the Tone wheel spins faster there is a potential for it to skip sensing the teeth on the wheel.

I'll be replacing the sensor in 1 week, It doesn't bother me too much because I'm not flooring it everywhere.

B)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen sensors "work" under light throttle too.were you watching your spark advance? enjoy your valves while you still got em, heeeehe

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yes I was watching, it's fine untill the system goes into open loop (Floored) so I just won't floor it untill next week :D ;) and this can also be the reason I'm getting a very slight ping durring acceleration as well as a little tiny idle stumble.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
**UPDATE!!**

Crank Position sensor is replaced, I compared the old sensor to the new one by sticking them to my tool box, the old sensor wouldn't stick and fell off while the new one really stuck on there. This confirms a Weak permanent magnet and therefore the problem :) The engine doesn't do the long crank anymore, no more idle stumble and the car shifts WAY smoother. Also my cutting out at 3700-4000 rpm is GONE !!!!

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Troy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts