Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I deceided to go out and test drive this 99 Taurus SE i saw when going to walmart. The people are so nice around here...very leanient (sp)...didnt care about my license, he just said if you dont come back we'll take your honda. Anyways...heres what i thought...

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130021&toggle=fullsize&filename=99%20TaurusSE%20001.jpg' alt='' width='1024' height='768' class='attach' />[/url]
1999 Ford Taurus SE--Vulcan, Coloumn Shift, Armrest/console, Power Driver Seat, ABS (Front Disc/rear drum).

I have to say after driving that I was very impressed. Nice smooth ride. It was more like a highway cruiser. Looser steering, easy gas/brake pedal. Odd looking control layout, but I liked it. What could be better than having a knob for controling the volume. I made a semi-goofy video so ya'll can see this gem...
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130037]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130037[/url]

Not too many places around the dealer to give it WOT...lots of neighborhoods. So I waited at a light started my turn to the right and some idiot at the gas station pulls out in front of me...i thought PERFECT...so i gave it a good punch...
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130038]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130038[/url]

Overall I was very impressed with this car...handles just the way I liked it. ABS worked just fine. The SES light was on, but I've been told by a member that its nothing to really worry about. Engine made a weird thing when I started it, but it ran fine. They wanted $5500. Im not planning to buy anything till my bday in September but I wanna test drive a wide range of Taurui and Sables so I can deceide if I like them enough.
Funny side note: Dealer didnt have enough air so they told me to go up to the Firestone dealer and get them to give me some air. I pulled up to 2nd bay and the shifter didnt wanna move into park. So i drove i poped it in N and used the parking brake. I left and tried later down the road when i was turning around to put it in P and it worked, weird.

[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130023&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130023&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='1024' height='768' class='attach' />[/url]
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130024&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130024&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='1024' height='768' class='attach' />[/url]
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130026&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130026&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='1024' height='768' class='attach' />[/url]
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130036&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=130036&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='2048' height='1536' class='attach' />[/url]

Cliffnotes: 1999 Ford Taurus SE Vulcan...nice car. SES light on...nice performance. Great at cruising, wish I coulda bought it but I can't.

?'s about the 99
-------------------
1. Can you change out teh shifter to the gen 2 look?
2. Did any gen 3 have Fogs?
3. Is the 99 any better than the 98? Ive read a few things were removed but is it worth it?
4. Where are the wipers? Sry...i looked next to the ignition and there was no stalk?
5. Stupid questions but wheres teh 2 on the shifter area? it goes P R N (OD) D 1?

Thanks folks for reading that story :P Im out to drive a 94 and a 99 Sable on Thurs.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jun 22 2004, 06:03 PM
he just said if you dont come back we'll take your honda.
Like that's a threat :lol:

Looks slow :eek:

<----- member title yet again ;) :lol2:

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space+Jun 22 2004, 03:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n2_space @ Jun 22 2004, 03:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nick986@Jun 22 2004, 06:03 PM

<----- member title yet again ;) :lol2: [/b][/quote]
:roflmao: You aren't going to give up on that, are you??!? :lol:

1) To change to console shift you will need the console and route the cable to it. There is probably a bit more involved that what I mentioned.
2) No
3) Its up to you. Go find a 99 with rear disc brakes and you are set.
4) Its on the milf switch
5) No 2 for you!!!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thats overpriced for sure. My 2000 SES Duratec which had about 80% of the available options blubooked for $6200 and it had 75k on it. You could find a 50-60k nicely equipped G4 Vulcan for about that much.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I agree. Its a little high priced, I would offer $4500 since that is what those go for usually (in Michigan at least). Keep looking, there are lots of GEN3s around. Get exactly what you want.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if they take the Honda im not gona complain...mom might be angry though..heheh.

Agreed, that price is Way to high. Plus there were a lota little things like it was filled with dirt all over the trunk and such. Preety low millage...

Im actually having a hard time down here on the Coast of South Carolina finding many Taurus/Sables. Id expect to see more but alas no. Tomorrow or thursday im test driving a 99 Sable and a 94 Sable. Ill just keep looking till i find what I want. I wanna find a g4 too.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I bought my no-rust, 59K SHO for $4500, and that has the $1100 Quaife ASB installed. Keep looking, make sure you know what you're looking for. The market's huge, don't be afraid to drive a little to get what you really want!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Back in January of 2003, I bought my 2000 well optioned SE Taurus for only $4,700 with 65,000 miles on the odometer.

BTW- it looks like that gen3 vulcan actually has a gen4 speedo, since it goes up to 120 MPH.

Y

·
0 Posts
TrueBlue, thats for sure, I bought my sel with 23000 miles on it, just 2 or 3 months ago for a great price! I drove from western PA to Clio Michigan to buy mine!

X

·
0 Posts
Holy crap, I can't believe how much you guys paid for your cars. I thought I did bad when I got $3300 for my 96, but I guess I did alright.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jun 22 2004, 10:50 PM
Holy crap, I can't believe how much you guys paid for your cars. I thought I did bad when I got $3300 for my 96, but I guess I did alright.
And that explains the lemon like qualities.... :lol:

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Hey,

Some of the things mentioned in this post.

No "2" selector unless you had an SHO in 1999...and then even some of those only had "(D)D1."

ALL 99's have a 120MPH speedometer EXCEPT SHO (which had 150.)

ALL gen 3's from 1996-1999 could have the 120 speedo. Only the Vulcan got the 110, Duratec got 120, SHO got 150.

The wipers are on the turn signal stalk. It's a knob you twist.

By switching the shifter to the gen 2 style, do you mean floor shifter? If so, gen3's had that available. It looked similer to the attached picture. (except it's from my gen 4) It's possible but requires some work.

So did this Vulcan feel more powerful than the gen 2?

EDIT: Some things that I forgot to mention. You asked about the differences between 99 and 98. A lot was taken out in 99. Rear disc was REALLY rare. Only some early 99's got it, it was standard on the SHO however. The gauges are different in 98, orange needles and it counts by 10's instead of 20's. No silver gauge surround in 98. The shifter is interior colored in 96-98, black in 99-up. Door handles and the surround are black in 99, interior colored in 96-98. There are no foot well lights in 99, some 99's dont even have a glove box light. Just little things basically.

-Kyle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK ...few notes..
--Can't believe I missed the wipers...well its like all other Fords ok.

--When I mean is...Can you put a gen 2 coloumn shift shifter in a gen 3 Coloumn shift. ? I dont like the look of the gen 3 coloumn shift, looks kinda cheap.

And video 2 makes me wanna keep that car ;) That engine sounds great, but i didnt know a vulcan maxed out @ 5500RPM. The power was definatly there...I finally got to feel mAd VuLcAn PoWa (sp, lol), and its a great feeling compared to the VTEC feelin in the Accord.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I suppose you probably could put the colum shifter in. They are in the same place. I think they unscrew but I'm not sure.

I LOVE the way my Vulcan sounds. It sounds awesome. I did some intake work so it's even better than stock. The Vulcan redlines kinda low. The Duratec is 1,000 RPM higher...you should test drive a Duratec if you can find it. That thing pulls SO hard from around 3k up it's awesome. And at redline it screams. Sometimes you can feel the tires just clawing for grip even at high RPM in first gear. It's cool!!!

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OHHHHH! I like the sound of that duratec. Ill keep my eyes peeled...i think the 99 Sable im lookin at Today or tomorrow has the duratec...ill find out. Thanks for ur help ya'll.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know I loved my 96 Sable and prefered the look of that generation over the Taurus. I just liked the tailights in the Sable of that generation over the comprable Taurus. It's probably just me and my poor memory and I will probably be corrected but it seems that my 03 Taurus is faster than my 96 was although both were 3.0 Vulcans. I have come to the conclusion after buying a number of cars with little things wrong with them over my life and then trying to fix the little things in order to save money on the initial car purchase that I am not going to do that anymore, so I wouldn't have bought the car you test drove especially at the price they wanted. Did that with a 77 Cutla** Supreme and it turned out to be a money pit. Be careful, buy something that runs great and has NO little problems and I wouldn't spend more than $4500 for something of that age. Good luck, can't wait to see pics when you get it.

Robert

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jun 22 2004, 11:08 PM
OK ...few notes..
--Can't believe I missed the wipers...well its like all other Fords ok.

--When I mean is...Can you put a gen 2 coloumn shift shifter in a gen 3 Coloumn shift. ? I dont like the look of the gen 3 coloumn shift, looks kinda cheap.

And video 2 makes me wanna keep that car ;) That engine sounds great, but i didnt know a vulcan maxed out @ 5500RPM. The power was definatly there...I finally got to feel mAd VuLcAn PoWa (sp, lol), and its a great feeling compared to the VTEC feelin in the Accord.
The vulcan typically does max out at 5500rpm on the 1-2 up shift but if you flog it enough in a short enough period of time it could and might hit 6000rpm man was it screaming at that point, another 600rpm and the motor probably would have toasted itself. I was sitting in my father's 98 SE vulcan which has the column shift, abs, 6 pass flip center console, etc, kind of wierdly optioned but it was a fleet car for the first 20,000 miles of its career. B)

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT+Jun 22 2004, 07:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XLSuruaT @ Jun 22 2004, 07:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 03:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nick986
@Jun 22 2004, 06:03 PM

<----- member title yet again ;) :lol2:
:roflmao: You aren't going to give up on that, are you??!? :lol:

1) To change to console shift you will need the console and route the cable to it. There is probably a bit more involved that what I mentioned.
2) No
3) Its up to you. Go find a 99 with rear disc brakes and you are set.
4) Its on the milf switch
5) No 2 for you!!! [/b][/quote]
Nope :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jun 22 2004, 10:59 PM
EDIT: Some things that I forgot to mention. You asked about the differences between 99 and 98. A lot was taken out in 99. Rear disc was REALLY rare. Only some early 99's got it, it was standard on the SHO however. The gauges are different in 98, orange needles and it counts by 10's instead of 20's. No silver gauge surround in 98. The shifter is interior colored in 96-98, black in 99-up. Door handles and the surround are black in 99, interior colored in 96-98. There are no foot well lights in 99, some 99's dont even have a glove box light. Just little things basically.

-Kyle
On my 98' Sable GS, the floor shifter is colored black. I can't believe that Ford stood for so many inconsistencies in these models. Some people say there were this, that, and the other thing, and other people say no. Nothing seemed to have been standard across the board for all Duratecs or all Vulcans...I wish Ford wasn't so wierd...

JR

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
It is the COLUMN shifter that is interior colored 96-98. NOT the floor shifter. Those have always been black.

The info I gave you in the above post is the facts. trust me.

-Kyle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts