Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have tryed getting them to kick on some one told me to put the ac max on and the fans will come on if that is right they did not come on next thing i am thinking the 40A relay do they just short out or stop working? if it is not the relay what else could it be

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
ok i have tryed getting them to kick on some one told me to put the ac max on and the fans will come on if that is right they did not come on next thing i am thinking the 40A relay do they just short out or stop working? if it is not the relay what else could it be
Did you try swapping it for another in the box to see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Yes, they should come on with the a/c. They should also come on if you temporarily unplug the ect (eng. coolant temp.) sensor. Thats the 2-wire gray plastic-based one for the pcm (eng. computer). The 1 wire brown plastic-based one is the sending unit for the dash. Location of fan relays, fuses, etc. should be listed in the owners manual. Iirc, ect sensor on a tec is screwed in below and to the left of the throttle body. On a vulcan, ect sensor should be near the thermostat alongside the brown sending unit. If you remove either, wrap threads with teflon tape or a dab of thread sealant upon reinstallation. Might check fan wiring, connections, etc. too.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
As stated in your first post, the hi and lo fan relay is location #9 underhood in the power distribution box. Its an orange clear 40 amp maxi fuse easily checked by sight. Another lo speed fan relay is in location #31 underhood. Its a black covered relay. Switch it with another like one in the box for testing purposes. If its the culprit and you dont have a spare, pick n pull would be your cheapest option as theyre quite pricey at the parts store ($15-20) although it looks like you have a parts car you can snag one from for testing and/or replacement.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, they should come on with the a/c. They should also come on if you temporarily unplug the ect (eng. coolant temp.) sensor. Thats the 2-wire gray plastic-based one for the pcm (eng. computer). The 1 wire brown plastic-based one is the sending unit for the dash. Location of fan relays, fuses, etc. should be listed in the owners manual. Iirc, ect sensor on a tec is screwed in below and to the left of the throttle body. On a vulcan, ect sensor should be near the thermostat alongside the brown sending unit. If you remove either, wrap threads with teflon tape or a dab of thread sealant upon reinstallation. Might check fan wiring, connections, etc. too.
any chance can i get a picture of this

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
relays are fine ran the car till it warmed up then i poped open the hood and waited but nothing (fans) turned on ac still nothing what else can i try wiring is good too

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Went outside and peeked at my 99 tec with a flashlight. The gray ect sensor is screwed in directly below the throttle body. Look between the tranny dipstick and air hose down low.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what is the part called so i can get a new one
so the orange one is what and the gray one is what ?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
1+^ for names

How did you determine that they were bad?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i checked the relay's they are fine i turned on the ac max and the fans did not come on did i miss some thing? should i try to unplug the GRAY connector and see if the fan will come on

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i unplugged the gray connector started the car and the left fan started the right one did not i tried the orange connector started car no fans started

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Hydetherat, theres also an unmarked, unidentified black plastic rectangular taped relay box between the battery and left front fender containing 4-5 relays. Two of them are the wiper park relay and the wiper hi-lo relay. Could possibly be another fan relay in there? If youre desperate, you might switch them all out with the ones from your parts car for sh*ts and giggles.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Unplugging brown (orange) sensor wont affect the fans as its merely a sender for the dash. Unplug the gray sensor for the test. You may have a bad fan motor(s). Shoot 12 volts to them and see if they spin.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts