Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the story:
2k taurus FFV
clogged heater core every winter; reverse flush and have great heat all winter

heater pipes rot out; replace

heater core clogged nearly solid; replaced

gauge running above half way; installed 160* stat and gauge is all over the place

i think the radiator is mostly clogged up

what you think?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You're going to have to replace the entire cooling system and flush the block out. It's a common Vulcan problem. The 160 deg thermostat is only going to compound your problems.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're going to have to replace the entire cooling system and flush the block out. It's a common Vulcan problem. The 160 deg thermostat is only going to compound your problems.
so,
i replaced the heater pipes, heater core, water pump, rubber hoses and soon the radiator

this should be it?

i also had the heads cut last year when the gaskets disappeared; all the coolant ports looked brown but clear....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Make sure to use store bought 50/50 premixed coolant for refill. Diluting your own with tap water can cause rust problems all over again down the road.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure to use store bought 50/50 premixed coolant for refill. Diluting your own with tap water can cause rust problems all over again down the road.
right.
i've also been using an additive i got from the dealer that allegedly prevents this from happening as bad

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it pings less now and the gauge runs closer to where it was when i bought the car

i think it might be time to flush it out with some muriatic acid

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if youre gonna flush the system you need to pull the freeze out plugs to get the hose water completely out. use the premix its easier. why would you want to use rain water and what for?? look at it this way. spending a couple dollars more to resolve the problem ( premixed ) will save your cooling system and engine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rainwater can be good so long as it doesn't have leaves or bugs in it.
sweet

i should use the water from my dehumidifier first

next time i spend some quality time with the car, i will be pulling the block drain or drains depending on if the transaxle is in the way

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you want to mix it yourself, use distilled water.
Tap water has calcium in it ("hard water" - more or less, depending of area). Even the rain water can be acidic (also dependig of the area).

Personally, I pay extra and use the 50/50 mix...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts