Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must praise my Vulcan!
I averaged 28mpg between two visits to gas station (80% interstate). Not only that, within that time period I have beaten two eclipses ( GS) badly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
425 Posts
I went on a 335 mile trip to Los Angeles and I averaged 27.5 mpg, but on a daily average I get about 22 mpg
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
I was getting 22 in my Vulcan in mixed city/highway. I switched to syncthetic oil and put some fuel treatment in and it bumped up to 26!!

-Kyle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
28? Very nice, mine got just about that with 98% highway driving the other week onna trip. But I just finished a tank off the other day, 16.5mpg. I've a heavy foot, but I don't think its all my driving. Still reading up on what could cause it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,922 Posts
This is odd. I usually get 17 MPG driving aroud town. And I fill up once a month. Well, one weekend in the last month, I went drag racing. Now I know that would ruin gas mileage, but I was suprised to see that I got 19 MPG when I filled up the other day.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,578 Posts
My commute is between Philly and Malvern, PA, so I sit in pretty crappy traffic most days. I typically average about 23.5 mpg in mixed highway/city driving. When I'm just on the highway, I've gotten as good as 26.

Deltar, are you sure you got 32 mpg? I think that's almost impossible...maybe...

JR
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
I got 34 MPG in a Duratec on a trip to Las Vegas. Havent been able to get close to that yet with a Vulcan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I read something about some gas stations shortchanging customers on gas, sometimes as much as almost a gallon on a 20-gallon fillup. That'd definitely affected our percieved gas milage, because if we are told we just filled up with 20 gallons after driving 400 miles, that'd be 20mpg, but if we were actually given 19 gallons, it'd be 21. Or, if you fill up every time like me, I'm getting less gas that I am told I got, which reduces the number of miles I went on that gas, which reduces my milage. Can knock it either way, and I've no way of telling which local stations(if any, mind you) shortchange like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
500 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 4 2004, 06:17 AM
I sit in pretty crappy traffic most days. I typically average about 23.5 mpg in mixed highway/city driving. When I'm just on the highway, I've gotten as good as 26.
:withstupid: in the sedan. I don't know what my wife gets in the wagon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Weird. My wife filled the tank, which took 37 litres. So if that's true, then the fuel guage was lying by 20% or so. Adjusting the calculation accordingly, gives me about 18.5 mpg or 11.5L/100km around the city. Much better, though my calculations are very rough estimates. Maybe the fuel guage is dodgy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Originally posted by Nomadic_Dragon@Jun 4 2004, 10:24 AM
I read something about some gas stations shortchanging customers on gas, sometimes as much as almost a gallon on a 20-gallon fillup. That'd definitely affected our percieved gas milage, because if we are told we just filled up with 20 gallons after driving 400 miles, that'd be 20mpg, but if we were actually given 19 gallons, it'd be 21. Or, if you fill up every time like me, I'm getting less gas that I am told I got, which reduces the number of miles I went on that gas, which reduces my milage. Can knock it either way, and I've no way of telling which local stations(if any, mind you) shortchange like that.
Stop pumping at one gallon and compare the price to the board. Gas stations are heavily regulated on the accuracy of the pump and could get into major trouble if they purposefully shorted you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
If a pump in most states is caught being 'miscalibrated', its shut off until its fixed. Supposedly.

Comparing the price at 1ga at the pump to what the sign says won't help much, I don't think. Its not the price at the pump being changed, its the amount of gas the pump thinks as one gallon. Stop the pump at 1ga, it'll say $2.009, the sign with say the same thing, but they'll only be 95% ofa gallon in there. Thats IF they're cheating you, if they're smart they'll only have a few pumps doing it, and switch it up. A report from a Californian gas inspector said its very easy for owners to change amount pumped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm afraid that gas station mechanism that measures full fuel tank, and stops when it thinks fuel tank is full - is not always accurate. My gauge went from full to 3/4ths faster than it does usually. Whewn you drive a lot, your gauge can "dance" a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
I wish my gas guage even worked. :lol2: Sometimes I start the car and it's empty, while sometimes it's full.

Even so, I have gotten 33 MPG on the highway before thanks to the miracle that is MOBIL 1!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
821 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Jun 4 2004, 10:48 PM
I wish my gas guage even worked. :lol2: Sometimes I start the car and it's empty, while sometimes it's full.

Even so, I have gotten 33 MPG on the highway before thanks to the miracle that is MOBIL 1!
I used to have a 85 Bronco who's sending unit in the gas tank stopped working so it always showed empty. Since it was lifted 6" i would just go around to the back and "thump" the tank with my finger to see how full it really was. That method only failed me once and that was only because i forgot to check it before i ran out of gas. I eventually fixed it but the tank tumping in the mean time was some ******* ingenuity at work :lol2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
198 Posts
I've been averaging 28-30 mpg on relatively short trips--2000 with FFV.
 
G

·
On the way to ROTB, I averaged 28.7 MPG with the SHO. Not bad, considering we were cruising at about 80 the whole time!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top