Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone getting my milage on the factory Goodyear Eagle RS-A? I have 40K on my '14 and the tires are right the wear bars. This car has had mostly highway driving on it, with multiple trips from Fargo, ND to Minneapolis and a couple of trips out to the west coast.

I am looking to replace them with General Altimax RT43 tires. Has anyone else run these? The online reviews seem decent and was one of the few sets I can get for under $1000.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got 75K out of my rears, and maybe 40K out of the fronts. Rears wore badly, and cupped/featured. The noise level is driving me nuts and I can't wait to get them off the car. This is the 3rd vehicle I've purchased with these tires as OEM equipment and I think they are terrible.

Pricing for 255/45/19's has come down recently. I remember searching last year and finding few options and pricing at around $300+ a tire. Now they've come down to the $180-250 level. I'm probably going with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tire for my next set before winter hits.

The Generals are rated pretty good for about $100 less a tire. I should really consider them before I make my decision. (8.4 vs 8.7)

·
Registered
2013 SEL
399 Posts
You drove 40K with the stock tires in MN and SD? You must have a death wish. I went through one winter with the Michelins before I decided I wanted to live.

I now have 60K on the Continental PureContact's and they're OK (way better than the stock tires). Will need to replace them in the next 20K. The General's you mention look like a good alternative for a few bucks less. I've had General before and can't complain for the price. For a bit more, the Goodyear Assurance Comfotread are very good tires. Had those on my Mercury and they are excellent general purpose tires.

I'm sure others will have their own recommendations. They're also right.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree the stock RS-As are horrible. I?ve been through three sets on my 2012/2013 tauruses. Noisy, caused shutter/vibration, dry rot like crazy... Recently, the set on my Taurus developed cracks in the sidewalls! I finally asked Goodyear to honor their warranty because they still had 6/32nds. I didn?t want a direct prorated replacement. No way was I putting up with another set of these horrible tires. I chose 245/45/19 (don?t make 255/45/19) Goodyear RS-A2s. I?ve ridden on them around two months and despite their name, they are very different than regular RS-As. Better ride, lower noise. Way lower price too. ~$140/each. I can?t say if they?ll continue to perform well, but I hope so. If you can afford Pirelli, go for it! I?m not sure I?ll get Goodyear?s after this set unless they really do well...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've driven about 4k miles on these tires. lol The previous owner put on the rest with highway trips. My last car that I had when I was in college (1998 Pontiac Bonneville) had 65k miles on a 55k tire. This last winter brought on a few traction challenges, but overall still provided plenty of grip on the snow and ice. That car had Firestone on it. Wanted to get something from them but it appears they do not make a tire for the 19" wheel option on the Taurus.

You drove 40K with the stock tires in MN and SD? You must have a death wish. I went through one winter with the Michelins before I decided I wanted to live.

I now have 60K on the Continental PureContact's and they're OK (way better than the stock tires). Will need to replace them in the next 20K. The General's you mention look like a good alternative for a few bucks less. I've had General before and can't complain for the price. For a bit more, the Goodyear Assurance Comfotread are very good tires. Had those on my Mercury and they are excellent general purpose tires.

I'm sure others will have their own recommendations. They're also right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree the regular RS-A are terrible. I'm disappointed they only hit 40K miles. I am not sure how much the previous owner replaced them, but he seemed to stay on top of the other maintenance pretty well, so I cannot imagine that he skipped this. I ended up going with the General RT-43. Was a tough decision between these and the Pirelli, but the final decision came down to the cost. Paid $995 for the Generals. My Ford dealer had to order them in from Kansas, as his warehouse in Sioux Falls did not have them in stock. This added an additional $80 bucks, and would have been the same situation as the Pirelli. Dirty buggers. Hoping they cut me a little better deal when I bring the pickup in to get tires in a month or two.

I agree the stock RS-As are horrible. I?ve been through three sets on my 2012/2013 tauruses. Noisy, caused shutter/vibration, dry rot like crazy... Recently, the set on my Taurus developed cracks in the sidewalls! I finally asked Goodyear to honor their warranty because they still had 6/32nds. I didn?t want a direct prorated replacement. No way was I putting up with another set of these horrible tires. I chose 245/45/19 (don?t make 255/45/19) Goodyear RS-A2s. I?ve ridden on them around two months and despite their name, they are very different than regular RS-As. Better ride, lower noise. Way lower price too. ~$140/each. I can?t say if they?ll continue to perform well, but I hope so. If you can afford Pirelli, go for it! I?m not sure I?ll get Goodyear?s after this set unless they really do well...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ended up going with the General RT-43. Was a tough decision between these and the Pirelli, but the final decision came down to the cost. Paid $995 for the Generals. My Ford dealer had to order them in from Kansas, as his warehouse in Sioux Falls did not have them in stock. This added an additional $80 bucks, and would have been the same situation as the Pirelli.
You could have got the Generals from TireRack.com for $573 + shipping

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=545VR9AMRT43XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Taurus&autoModClar=Limited

·
Registered
144 Posts
i went with BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S in 245-50-19...just slightly taller, they look great, are the quietest set of tires I've ever owned, have superior wet capability and handle better than the stock tires by a wide margin.

I cant speak to winter performance because we get very little snow in this part of VA, but I did get the set for around $500 shipped before install. I like them so much I put another set on my Chrysler 200.

Wear will remain to be seen since they have only been on a couple months but they were highly rated by Tire Rack testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked into it. The bill would have been slightly less. I paid $676 for the tires and another 80 for shipping. When you buy through them they discount the installation. So maybe would have saved up to 50 bucks. Final bill turned out to be just over a thousand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the tires put on. So far they are much quieter and a smother ride. A little disappointed with the shop. Seems like they did an oil change before they touched my wheels. Not sure if this is a first world problem, or if I am just that picky with my vehicles. Have to head back to the dealership for some additional paperwork and might mention this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
First world problem really. I'm always having to clean and retorque my wheels after getting new tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looked into it. The bill would have been slightly less. I paid $676 for the tires and another 80 for shipping. When you buy through them they discount the installation. So maybe would have saved up to 50 bucks. Final bill turned out to be just over a thousand.

$676 + 80 = 756...how did you get to $1000?

For future reference, WalMart would have installed all 4 tires for $80 with lifetime balance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Interesting thread, had no idea 19" tires were priced higher than 20" when I bought the car, although I don't know if that would have made me not buy her.

Bought tires in 2015 and choked when I saw those prices. Went with HANKOOK VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 because the reviews were very good, but I am not all that pleased with them. I rotate every 10k and tread wear hasn't been bad but noise and hard ride kill it for me. I know the tire size has little side wall so very little give and wisconsin roads are bad but I cringe at the smallest of pot holes/cracks in the road.

For winter tires I bought BLIZZAK WS80 - SIZE: 235/60R17 on new rims from TR. Only .1" difference in height and a great great tire in the snow. I contemplated buying 19" snow tires that would fit the stock rims but for an additional $100 I could buy tires with more sidewall and new rims.

Happy with the Blizzaks, not so much with the Ventus.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Interesting thread, had no idea 19" tires were priced higher than 20" when I bought the car,

I've often kept an eye out on the local CL classifieds to see if anyone is selling any OEM 20's for the Taurus. I figure I could buy the 20's, and if I had to buy 2 sets of tires, would save money in the long run vs putting tires on the 19's.

19" wheels is such an odd size, but the one benefit is the widest factory rubber on any Taurus, and having 255-width rubber on each corner does make the car grip incredibly well if you corner hard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got 50k out of my Goodyears, had 2 sets of them, rotated them every 5k though. They were down to the wear indicators both times. Finally switched to the Pirellis and now have 10k on them. So far so good. Rides smooth and quiet. We will see how long these last. They were about the same price as the Goodyears, just under a grand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well you know, the 756 only gets you the tires. It didn't install them.

$85 for the mount and balance. Another $90 for the alignment, $8 for new valves, and $16 for a disposal fee.

The question with buying tires at WalMart, do you really want them working on your vehicles. I sure don't, and plus it would have been way out of my way to have it done there.

$676 + 80 = 756...how did you get to $1000?

For future reference, WalMart would have installed all 4 tires for $80 with lifetime balance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've looked as well. Almost bought some that came off a '15 or '16 SHO. The guy wanted $1500 for the set. I've also looked online for the chrome and black and silver set of 20's. Can get the Chrome set for around 800-1000 and the black/silver for around the 1500 figure. All would be new take off's from the dealer.

I've often kept an eye out on the local CL classifieds to see if anyone is selling any OEM 20's for the Taurus. I figure I could buy the 20's, and if I had to buy 2 sets of tires, would save money in the long run vs putting tires on the 19's.

19" wheels is such an odd size, but the one benefit is the widest factory rubber on any Taurus, and having 255-width rubber on each corner does make the car grip incredibly well if you corner hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my originals replaced at 82k and put on some Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. The front's were very low tread (nearly bald) and the rears still had quite a bit left. I'm happy with the OEM tires and getting over 80k on them..I think I'm one of the lucky few however, as this isn't normally the case.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts