Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
12,157 Posts
Did you have the same size battery last time as well?

This is a slightly bigger and more powerful battery than the specified 36R and the 42 month full replacement warranty is also better than most 36R batteries.

Is it completely secure / doesn't shift if you try to move it left to right or back and forth? I have been wondering if this size secures without modified hold downs.
36R at walmart just shy of $100. I can pick one no more than 2 months old. Cranks fine down to however cold it gets in Upstate NY.
-chart-

· Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 133,500
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
36R at walmart just shy of $100. I can pick one no more than 2 months old. Cranks fine down to however cold it gets in Upstate NY.
-chart-
Can the shop stall a battery NOT to auto mfg specification?

Just looked up online via Ford owner's manual for 2001 Ford 3.0L Vulcan, battery standard 58R & ( optional ) 36R.

I don't think that what the shop replaced yesterday, see my previous comment attached photos .

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
Can the shop stall a battery NOT to auto mfg specification?

Just looked up online via Ford owner's manual for 2001 Ford 3.0L Vulcan, battery standard 58R & ( optional ) 36R.

I don't think that what the shop replaced yesterday, see my previous comment attached photos .
36R does not have many applications so does not have as widespread availability as before.

They gave you a better battery - 24F / 24R - so long as it is secured properly.

• Helpful
Reactions: ice445 and Stephii

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
-chart-
Hopefully, Walmart have it available when it is needed next. Didn't see it at the Walmart closest to my daughter's college. Otherwise dealer is $130. Costco have the best price and 36 month warranty but I've never seen it in any Costco I've visited.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
36R does not have many applications so does not have as widespread availability as before.

They gave you a better battery - 24F / 24R - so long as it is secured properly.
Good to know. But the invoice copy noted " 35PS-30 " for the battery the shop replaced yesterday. Should I disputed this incorrect info ?

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
No, just now checking the invoice copy and I see " 35PS-30 " . No wonder, my ♉ failed smog check yesterday half hour later @ 1:00 pm.
If you did a smog test after a battery change, then it most likely failed because you hadn't competed the drive cycle that lets the Taurus computer verify that all the emissions systems are working properly. Every time the computer is disconnected, it wipes everything and starts from scratch.

• Helpful
Reactions: ice445 and Stephii

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
Good to know. But the invoice copy noted " 35PS-30 " for the battery the shop replaced yesterday. Should I disputed this incorrect info ?
I suppose you might run into a problem if you have to go back to the shop for warranty again. So ideally they would reissue you the invoice so you have proof they changed it in their system. And / or you could make your own note on the invoice and take a picture of the invoice and battery together.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stephii

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you did a smog test after a battery change, then it most likely failed because you hadn't competed the drive cycle that lets the Taurus computer verify that all the emissions systems are working properly. Every time the computer is disconnected, it wipes everything and starts from scratch.
I see, you confirmed what smog shop owner advised me to drive the car for 200 miles and come back for a second test.

I didn't realize that could cause smog check fail, dropped by the smog check place ( only 4 blocks from the auto shop ) in haste just to save gas. I told him about a NEW battery just installed 15 minutes ago.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I suppose you might run into a problem if you have to go back to the shop for warranty again. So ideally they would reissue you the invoice so you have proof they changed it in their system. And / or you could make your own note on the invoice and take a picture of the invoice and battery together.
It might've been careless mistake on Dave's part. I will call and let him know, if he would reissue another invoice copy that has the battery type installed yesterday.

· Registered
12,157 Posts
I see, you confirmed what smog shop owner advised me to drive the car for 200 miles and come back for a second test.

I didn't realize that could cause smog check fail, dropped by the smog check place ( only 4 blocks from the auto shop ) in haste just to save gas. I told him about a NEW battery just installed 15 minutes ago.
Installing a battery will cause the PCM memory to be reset. All except EVAP will reset in normal driving few miles at full warm up temperature.

Fixin EVAP “ready “ in PCM.

Tricky and last one to reset after a battery change.

Engine coolant over 170 F.
Air temp 40 to 100F.
Gas tank 15% to 85% full.
Drive 10 minutes cruise 45-65mph with no hills or sharp turns.
My issues have been getting the outside temperature above 40F and the gas tank in the zone at the same time.
Pic of very low cost reader. I do not use it now, have a better one.
-chart-

Attachments

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

· Registered
12,157 Posts
The old 36R battery @ 650 CCA looked exactly like this one @ O'Reilly .

But, I am NOT 100% certain what CCA on the old one.

CCA is not too important unless you live in a VERY cold climate. If you live where the overnight temp is -24F, then it matters. Been there.
If your battery cables are in poor maintenance then all bets are off.
Average battery the size car maker specs. you are fine.
-chart-

· Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
218 Posts
most important number in the chart is W, for the battery hold down wedge. A little smaller L is fine and CA/CCA ratings also affect reserve capacity / life, so more is better. If a 24 can be clamped with the wedge, grab that. It's the most popular battery size, you'll always find em.

"R" is the location of the battery posts + and -, R = reverse location.
On top post sizes: R = Rear, F = Front, no letter = center: for post location.. Since the cables come in from the sides, post location matters very little.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
UPDATE: 2001 Taurus seat belt function seems back to normal today ( 2 days after new battery installed ), icon ( solid ) immediately comes on the dashboard when I start the car and goes off after 30 seconds then chime blinking seat belt light if I don't buckle up within 20 seconds.

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
most important number in the chart is W, for the battery hold down wedge.
After "H" since you don't want an electrified hood. ;)

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
877 Posts
Installing a battery will cause the PCM memory to be reset. All except EVAP will reset in normal driving few miles at full warm up temperature.

Fixin EVAP “ready “ in PCM.

Tricky and last one to reset after a battery change.

Engine coolant over 170 F.
Air temp 40 to 100F.
Gas tank 15% to 85% full.
Drive 10 minutes cruise 45-65mph with no hills or sharp turns.
My issues have been getting the outside temperature above 40F and the gas tank in the zone at the same time.
Pic of very low cost reader. I do not use it now, have a better one.
-chart-
Today I learned that in California since May 2015, the EVAP monitor does not need to be complete in order to pass the smog test on 2000 and newer gas vehicles.

In fact "The misfire, fuel, and comprehensive component continuous monitors are ignored during an OBD test on "gas" vehicles"

21 - 40 of 40 Posts