Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys; Thanks in advance for your help! I am a new (used) 2017 Limited owner. It has 30k miles on it and it has the original Goodyear 255/45/19 Eagle RS-A tires on it with plenty of tread left. The car rides AWFUL above 65mph... so bad that I would'nt have bought it if I had really done a proper test-drive... which I did not.
The ride is harsh and jittery... kind of like riding on steel rails :huh: Is this normal for these tires? I just had them re-balanced and rotated which helped (very) slightly. Do I need to replace the struts already?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, those tires suck.

Happiest day in my time with my '14 Limited was when i got rid of them and put on some Continentals. Car felt MUCH better on the highway and i wasn't embarrassed to take passengers with me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I dont like the Eagle RSA for that reason. To stiff of a sidewall, not much flex. I also think the traction they provide is bad.

I do recommend the Michelin Defender series. I have them on both my GMC Envoy, and my Mercury Montego. Love the ride, and superb traction.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm a big fan of goodyear assurance ComforTred. You will be amazed at the ride quality difference a tire can make. (sorry to sound like a commercial)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies! The car had 23PSI in the tires when I bought it, that's why I did'nt notice any harshness. I pumped 'em up to 36... then 33... and now I'm at 30PSI :( Guess I'll have to drop into the 20's to get some ride quality back!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dont do that.. Remember the big Firestone recall of years back on the Ford Explorer, it was because the tire pressure was under inflated from the manufacture, and it can cause tires to over heat and blow out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The RSAs are pretty rough. Your typical OEM tire. I don't recall them being horrid other than excessive noise so I replaced mine ~25k with Michelin MX4 and they're really hardly any better. Stiff as a freaking rock and abysmal on anything but dry land. I have to run mine at 30psi (I wouldn't go below that) or the potholes which New England's brilliant roadways are full of, would make driving unbearable. Some friendly mechanic pumped them up to 34psi once during an oil change and it was absolute torture. Heard Contis have a bit more give on the sidewall, which is where I'm heading next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last December I bought a 2013 Limited AWD that had a new set of Cooper CS5 Ultra 255/45 R19 that were really harsh. I usually run tires (including-especially low profile tires) a bit higher than the placard pressure. I backed the Coopers all the way down to 30 psi to see if it helped the ride. It did, but of course at the price of handling and fuel economy. So I dumped them at only 2,000 miles.

The new (came out June 2018) Conti PureContact LS tires made a huge difference in every way. I run the fronts at 38 psi and the backs a couple psi lower since they carry less load. I researched the tire market thoroughly, and in this fairly unusual 19" size, this is only all season tire that looked like a good choice. It also provides decent rim protection and I like the smooth sidewall design with simple inset lettering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh yeah, I had Eagle RS-As as OEM on one of my cars and they were pretty useless. They spun easily on any wet surface. I'm amazed that they are standard issue on police cars...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 13 Taurus with 55,000 miles, at 15,000 miles through out the Goodyear and put Pirelli P7 centurion with 70,000 mile warranty, 19 inch rim. The car is so smooth, vault quite, still gives feed back and handles great and gets a 1 mpg better, These are Grand touring tire and come on cars like pan America, Maserati, Mercedes, Audi. They are for people that want comfort and quite while still driving the switch backs of the alps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Limited, & have put about 12k miles on it while running a set of General AltiMax R43 tires in the 255/45 R19 size. I had the same tire (though in a different size, obviously) on my 2007 Five Hundred, & they were excellent. They're definitely proving their worth on my Taurus as well. I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 20's on my Limited AWD and live in northern Ohio, too much snow!! I put Continental DWS06's on it last year and they are so much better than the Michelin tires that came on the car. Check these out and the reviews are good as well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=545WR9DWS06XL&tab=Sizes
Few weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on replacing the Michelin Primacy (32k miles) with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 (19"). I detested the Michelins, even more so than the RS-As that came with the car. Hard as concrete, absolute crap in snowy slush, even for an A/S tire, that I had absolutely forgone any driving with so much as hint of snow on the ground. Wet traction was questionable at best and driving thru standing water at the edge of the road would rip the steering wheel out of my hands. Decent, I thought, in the dry although braking was a bit substandard for my taste.

The Contis initially gave me a "Oh no! What have I done" moment. I knew from reading various comments that the sidewall on them was soft and many complained that the car floated. So much for the performance side of things. So I thought, let's give it a mild slalom test, nothing too hard, just wiggle a bit at 50 or so on an empty stretch of highway. How bad can it be, really, it's 2019. If you ever wondered what and old American car felt like to drive, yea, that's the feeling. Strange and frankly a bit disconcerting.

However. After driving hundreds of miles down the Interstate + New England's back roads I'm absolutely loving this tire. It's quite incredible especially vs the Michelins. Despite the somewhat "interesting" slalom test the tire performs excellently. Cornering is very sharp and precise, with much less under-steer and no drama at all. In normal driving (it's not a sports car) there's no hint of floatyness. As a matter of fact the first few tight corners I took I had to let off the steering wheel. Drove thru some pretty torrential downpour this past weekend and the deep side-road puddles were no match. Reminded me of old GY Aquatreads which were absolutely fantastic in that respect. They're comfy too. Both were whisper quiet on new tarmac but on typically worn surfaces the Contis are considerably quieter (I only put about 1k miles on them so far so we'll see how things go after 15-20k). The biggest thing for me is the comfort, my car rides so nice again. The Michelins were really hard and every bump in the road would translate to a new trim piece starting to rattle and the usual unpleasant acoustics of hard suspension. They're harder at 30 psi than Contis are at 35. I'm curious about winter, but that's still some months away. From what I've been reading, they may not last too long, but I figure if I get 20-30k miles out of them, I'm good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also have the RSA's on my 17. Cannot wait for them to wear down and replace them with something better. I was thinking of going Michelin but not sure after the previous review.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts