Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you believe would be the first part to wear out on the front end of a 2017 Taurus? I have 66K miles on it and it has developed a cluck, on what sounds like the right front.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slow driving on bumpy roads, especially when turning. I jacked up the front end and the only movement I can find is the upper strut mounts seem to be moving an excessive (my opinion) amount. I find it hard to believe that those parts would be wore out this soon. The up and down motion is about 1/4", but I have not found any tolerances for that item.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
450 Posts
When does it happen? Driving? Turning? Breaking? Acceleration? Could be wheel bearings is my first guess though.
Wouldn't wheel bearings produce a drone while turning one way or the other at speed? Not sure you'd get a clunk (but I've been wrong many times).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wouldn't wheel bearings produce a drone while turning one way or the other at speed? Not sure you'd get a clunk (but I've been wrong many times).
No you're right, I don't know what I was thinking.

Any slight movement of metal would cause that clunk so it could be the strut mounts if they are loose. Really odd it would be happening so quickly though, I have over 130k on mine and have had no suspension or brake issues. I mean my engine kicked the bucket but that's different.

Just to be clear the car is bone stock, right? Have you had any work at all done on the wheels or front end recently?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check the endlinks?
Yes, they were tight and would not twist.
No you're right, I don't know what I was thinking.

Any slight movement of metal would cause that clunk so it could be the strut mounts if they are loose. Really odd it would be happening so quickly though, I have over 130k on mine and have had no suspension or brake issues. I mean my engine kicked the bucket but that's different.

Just to be clear the car is bone stock, right? Have you had any work at all done on the wheels or front end recently?
No. no mods or repairs that I know of. I bought it used w 33K on the clock. It was a car rental in the beginning but has electric steering and drives perfect. Tires are wearing like normal, I did replace the brake pads early, don't like the noise of semi-metallic, so I installed ceramics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had some clunks coming from a mis-seated coil in the front strut.

Take off a tire and lift the side you think the noise is coming from - then pull and twist the coil and see if it makes any noise.

Otherwise you're likely looking at a control arm (bushing or ball joint - doesnt matter, replace whole thing) or sway bar bushing - Sits on top of the subframe, just below the steering rack.

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
159 Posts
Sway bar end links would be most common, easiest and cheapest to check/replace. If the clunk continues same as before, my next candidate would be the control arm.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Take off a tire and lift the side you think the noise is coming from - then pull and twist the coil and see if it makes any noise.

Otherwise you're likely looking at a control arm (bushing or ball joint - doesnt matter, replace whole thing) or sway bar bushing - Sits on top of the subframe, just below the steering rack.
I had a mis-seated coil on the rear when I bought this car. It was causing the car to behave very odd going over bumps. Once I fixed it and did the third front end alignment, it drove perfect. It has been fine up until just recently, it is starting to clunk. My first guess was end links, but they are tight. Ball joints are also tight. The only movement I can find is at the top of the struts, roughly 1/4" of up and down when I lift on the wheel. I just am not sure if that is OK or excessive.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had a similar problem. The subframe bolts were very loose.

You will need to check and tighten with the load on the wheels.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

OK thanks, that is not something I have checked or thought of but it would fit the symptoms. Any idea what the torque values are, I have never messed with those bolts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK thanks, that is not something I have checked or thought of but it would fit the symptoms. Any idea what the torque values are, I have never messed with those bolts?
Orange Loctite and Full torque on a 1/2 inch drive should do the trick :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
DescriptionNmlb-ftlb-in
Lower arm forward bolt185136
Lower arm rearward nuts9973
Lower ball joint nut200148
Stabilizer bar bracket bolts5541
Stabilizer bar link nuts150111
Steering gear nuts and bolts Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS)165122
Steering gear nuts and bolts Hydraulic Power Assist Steering (HPAS)11786
Strut rod nut13398
Strut-to-wheel knuckle nut175129
Strut upper mount nuts6346
Subframe bracket bolts5541
Subframe forward bolts200148
Subframe rearward bolts EPAS150111
Subframe rearward bolts HPAS175130
Tie-rod end nut150111
Wheel bearing and wheel hub bolts
Wheel hub nut
Wheel speed sensor bolt15133

Reactions: brn and kekaye56

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had major clunks when driving slow in bumpy parking lots, major clunks. It was coming from the rear of the car not the front though. It was the rear struts that went bad. Another symptom was it would get really loose in the rear like it almost wanted to spin me out when driving at speed and hitting a bump or slush in the winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Moved, twisted my sway bar links, no play. Noise was coming from there. REPLACED THEM ANYWAY, noise went away!! Hallelujah!!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks again for the advice but unfortunately all four bolts were tight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does the clunking sound any different when you are applying the brakes? I had a pretty badly clunking brake caliper on my 07 Ford Focus. The clunking went away when going over rough roads while braking. The Taurus probably has a different style caliper, but the Focus one had rubber bushings, which is a bit strange to me. I serviced it with new bushings and hardware, and it helped, but the pads themselves still sometimes clunk around a bit.
Also, if the clunk goes away under braking, it may be related to something else, like tie rods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts