Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to completely reset the SYNC system back to factory defaults?
In the last week or so my phone will not pair up with the SYNC and my portable MP3 player that is connected to the line input will not work. Ive tried everything I can think of including following the instruction on the car manual to the letter. Nothing works.

When I press the phone button it does nothing. When I press the AUX button to use the MP3 player the screen pops up for a second and disappears, or it stays on but line input doesn't show and no audio passes. The audio cable is good.

Any suggestions. This is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have Sync 2? It would be the Red/Green/Yellow/Blue corners. I know the APIMs have a recall on them for various failures.

If it's that - you have two solutions:
If it's in warranty, then you can get the APIM replaced and it should work.
If it's not, then I would do a SYNC 3 upgrade and pull a Sync3 module from a 2017+ Taurus and swap it all out.

There's a post on here somewhere about the whole process of the SYNC 2->SYNC 3 upgrade. Mine cost about $200 total, but I got my APIM pretty cheap from a wrecker.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm uncertain what SYNC it has. Whatever a 2016 SE comes with. Where can I look to see the colored corners you mention? What does APIM stand for? The car is out of warranty and I have not been notified of any recalls for this car as of yet. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
244 Posts
An SE...you probably have the 4.2" display with base SYNC. You should really know what SYNC system you have. There is a menu selection to perform a master reset. I would suggest looking through a PDF of the owner's manual. Use the PDF search function. After doing a reset, you may want to disconnect the battery for a minute as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it has the small display. I'm a very casual user of the SYNC so forgive my ignorance in not knowing much about it. I will try your suggestion jmr061 and see what happens. I do have the hard copy of the owners manual but most of the information in there regarding the SYNC system is for the SEL and higher trim models with the larger display.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I googled 2016 Ford Taurus Owner's Manual and downloaded a PDF copy right from Ford and did a keyword search of "master reset" and found it under your base SYNC system info in the manual. Total time involved...1 minute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts