Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Limited and would like information on upgrading the brakes. The brakes on this vehicle are atrocious, I feel as though i need to throw out an anchor to stop. I have 12,000 miles since May 2017 and they have not improved. I had the dealer check them and was informed that they meet specifications.

I would like opinions on viable upgrades. I have looked at the Powerstop Z23 front and rear upgrade K5584. Some of the vendors on the Powerstop website claim they will fit some claim they will not.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I second that. The brakes on my '14 Limited are pretty damn good. Usually in a panic stop situation I find myself looking in the rear-view and easing off the brakes to avoid getting rear-ended.

I have the Calipers to do the 14" brake upgrade up front...but honestly don't know if i'll even go through with it because my brakes work so well as-is.

OP, with your brakes not working so well, I'd investigate some sort of mechanical issue. I wouldn't trust the dealer to be honest. My previous car was an Infiniti I purchases new, and the brakes started to suck around 30K miles. I brought it in and they said "everything normal". So I took it upon myself to investigate and found one of the my rear calipers had seized slide pins causing only one side of the rotor to make contact with the pad. I replaced that caliper myself, and the brakes were MUCh better.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
My 13's brakes work great. I did install z23 pads all the way around a year or so ago. They were fine, even with the old pads.

·
Midwest Chapter Mod
1,152 Posts
If money's no issue, you could go full stupid like I did, and get the massive big brake upgrade from Wilwood.

4 Piston calipers, and 15" rotors and titanium heat shields at each corner.

Stops this big 'ol pig of car on a dime, each time, every time.

Contact Mr. Todd Cook, owner of TCE Performance located in AZ.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with bpd, if money isn't a problem for you then go Wilwood. However, I'm also working on a brake project and here's what I'm about to do:

- K5584 Powerstop Rotors (I can confirm these will fit your SEL)
- Carbon Ceramic Pads
- Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Powerstop Calipers (The red "performance" versions are just a paint difference, I'm serious)
- VHT Grey and Gold Brake Caliper Paint and Clear Coat (Going for a graphite gold color on the calipers)

I admit the braking is a little unnerving at times, however it works for me until I'm at a meet racing.

You can upgrade to the SHO brakes which are just a slightly larger brake rotor size, however I don't believe it's just a swap of the rotors. You might have to switch out the front and rear steering knuckles to accommodate the larger brake rotors (I can't confirm this but I assume this would be required)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input.

I have had the brakes checked by a reputable independent brake shop and was informed that the brakes are working properly and meet specifications.

I have contacted Powerstop, no offense AdmiralSparklez, I wanted additional verification prior to purchase.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thank you for the input.

I have had the brakes checked by a reputable independent brake shop and was informed that the brakes are working properly and meet specifications.

I have contacted Powerstop, no offense AdmiralSparklez, I wanted additional verification prior to purchase.

That's no problem! Hopefully everything works out in the end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I continued my research on Powerstop brakes, my observation is that the risk vs. reward is not that promising. People have reported that the calipers warp, others have reported that there was not a vast improvement. Other reports indicated that it was a great investment to the stopping of their vehicle. Without the capability of comparison testing I concluded that the potential upgrade may not exist. I plan to investigate other options, perhaps different brake pad compositions.

I have owned numerous vehicles in my life and find the Taurus to be one of the best, not including the stopping power. The interior is of high quality, plenty of room, trunk space is massive and fuel economy is excellent. I average 23 - 25 combined driving and 32 on a recent trip, all highway and 4 MPH above speed limit to avoid a ticket.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I continued my research on Powerstop brakes, my observation is that the risk vs. reward is not that promising. People have reported that the calipers warp, others have reported that there was not a vast improvement. Other reports indicated that it was a great investment to the stopping of their vehicle. Without the capability of comparison testing I concluded that the potential upgrade may not exist. I plan to investigate other options, perhaps different brake pad compositions.

I have owned numerous vehicles in my life and find the Taurus to be one of the best, not including the stopping power. The interior is of high quality, plenty of room, trunk space is massive and fuel economy is excellent. I average 23 - 25 combined driving and 32 on a recent trip, all highway and 4 MPH above speed limit to avoid a ticket.

Are you sure there isn't a mechanical issue contributing? Perhaps brake fluid should be flushed or there's an issue with a caliper?

My '14 has the same brake system as you and I'm overly impressed with the performance of the system. Whenever I brake hard, my eyes are glued to the rear view as I've had to let off to avoid getting rear ended. I also have a mustang with a performance brake system and the Taurus really impresses me for being 1500 lb more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts

I have a 2013, and the brakes for that size of car are pretty damn adequate. I threw carbon ceramic pads on mine when the original pads died. They aren't supercar standard, but your car weighs like 2.5 tons.
If your brakes are ****, you have a different problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do not anticipate nor expect that a vehicle weighing 4,317 lbs to have braking capacity of a Ford GT or a Corvette, I believe that a reasonable and valid expectation above 'pretty damn adequate' should not be out of the norm for a vehicle at this price point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Personally, I love my new brakes. Pads, rotors, calipers, and steel lines. It's not a night and day difference, however I do have a more firm brake pedal and a very noticeable decrease in required distance to come to a stop. I'm still adjusting to how much I need to press the pedal because I'm so used to the old brakes.

At the end of the day, I'm sure we're all aware we simply won't achieve the same braking power as a Gallardo or a 488, or even a Genesis Coupe. The calipers being 2 and 1 piston simply aren't enough for anything past street use to handle the weight of this car. I can testify my current new brakes are great in drag racing, but I wouldn't feel they are enough for a track. If you want a serious upgrade, Wilwood is the only company I know of that has a kit for our cars at the incredibly *attractive* price of around $2,500.

I've come to terms with the aftermarket support for our cars and how limited it unfortunately is. Most think of a Mustang, an Evo, a 350z, or even something like an S55 before a Taurus. I really do hope the day arrives soon where the market expands much more in terms of upgrades and parts for the underrated car this is. But with the cancellation of the Taurus yet again (and every...other...sedan...), that day may be far from this point.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do not anticipate nor expect that a vehicle weighing 4,317 lbs to have braking capacity of a Ford GT or a Corvette, I believe that a reasonable and valid expectation above 'pretty damn adequate' should not be out of the norm for a vehicle at this price point.
Frankly I'm beginning to think that our cars' (not just the Bulls, I have this issue with all the cars I've had) brakes are calibrated to a stereotypical "American Driver". Maybe I'm just skewed by driving cars in Europe all the time, but let me tell you, our brakes compared to those over there are unbelievably s****. The Modeo, 5er or E-class is not much lighter than the Taurus but those things there brake with some serious bite. Every time I go there I have to adjust because if I was using the brakes the same way I do here, the rear passengers would be on the dash at every intersection. I had to make some panic stops in my Taurus few times, and the car does stop but far from confidently, and yet according to every mechanic: "yup, all works fine". Sigh.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Frankly I'm beginning to think that our cars' (not just the Bulls, I have this issue with all the cars I've had) brakes are calibrated to a stereotypical "American Driver". Maybe I'm just skewed by driving cars in Europe all the time, but let me tell you, our brakes compared to those over there are unbelievably s****. The Modeo, 5er or E-class is not much lighter than the Taurus but those things there brake with some serious bite. Every time I go there I have to adjust because if I was using the brakes the same way I do here, the rear passengers would be on the dash at every intersection. I had to make some panic stops in my Taurus few times, and the car does stop but far from confidently, and yet according to every mechanic: "yup, all works fine". Sigh.

Oh Lord, don't say that. The dark figure in me is awakening and is about to figure out how to do a brake swap from a Euro Ford to the Taurus and I don't need another project right now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I disagree entirely.
Ford brakes are some of the best on any passenger car, and always have been.
My '15 Toro has 48k miles now and the brakes remain great.
Try driving a Corolla once and then you'll know what crappy brakes feel like.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Oh Lord, don't say that. The dark figure in me is awakening and is about to figure out how to do a brake swap from a Euro Ford to the Taurus and I don't need another project right now.
No need to change the brakes. A lot of that pedal feel and responsiveness is due to the master cylinder/booster relationship. Smaller bore MC's coupled with larger boosters tend to give you that shorter stroke with much more response that you tend to find on many german vehicles.

When I was swapping brake systems onto my Mustang, I did test out a few different size bore MC's to try and dial in the brakes to be closer in feel to the above. Of course, the major difference is with the Mustang, there are 6 different master cylinders diameters to work with, 3 different boosters plus hydroboost that will bolt in and work so you have options. Not so much with the Taurus.

I believe the 2013 MC was an upgrade in itself over the 2010-2012 owners can do on their cars if they wanted. Something about the knee-point curve on the rear brakes brought the pressure up on the rears giving more brake response . However, the assumed downside is more rear pad wear, as I can attest to by needing my 3rd set of pads/rotors out back while still on my 2nd up front.

I actually like my Taurus brakes a lot. Quite responsive and powerful and I always find myself overbraking in a panic stop and having to let off to give the guy behind me some room to avoid hitting me. I'm quite confident with them and drive that car like I would with my Mustang.

I'd still like to do the 14" upgrade...but I think i'm due an SHO in a year or less so no point now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No need to change the brakes. A lot of that pedal feel and responsiveness is due to the master cylinder/booster relationship. Smaller bore MC's coupled with larger boosters tend to give you that shorter stroke with much more response that you tend to find on many german vehicles.

When I was swapping brake systems onto my Mustang, I did test out a few different size bore MC's to try and dial in the brakes to be closer in feel to the above. Of course, the major difference is with the Mustang, there are 6 different master cylinders diameters to work with, 3 different boosters plus hydroboost that will bolt in and work so you have options. Not so much with the Taurus.

I believe the 2013 MC was an upgrade in itself over the 2010-2012 owners can do on their cars if they wanted. Something about the knee-point curve on the rear brakes brought the pressure up on the rears giving more brake response . However, the assumed downside is more rear pad wear, as I can attest to by needing my 3rd set of pads/rotors out back while still on my 2nd up front.

I actually like my Taurus brakes a lot. Quite responsive and powerful and I always find myself overbraking in a panic stop and having to let off to give the guy behind me some room to avoid hitting me. I'm quite confident with them and drive that car like I would with my Mustang.

I'd still like to do the 14" upgrade...but I think i'm due an SHO in a year or less so no point now.

I'm not vastly knowledgeable with more advanced brake parts, but I'm now wondering if it's possible to switch the master cylinder or booster out from the Taurus to one like the Mondeo.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not vastly knowledgeable with more advanced brake parts, but I'm now wondering if it's possible to switch the master cylinder or booster out from the Taurus to one like the Mondeo.
Unknown. It would require some research. Being the vehicle is an entirely different platform, highly unlikely due to geometry changes in the relationship between booster location, pedal geometry and the entire brake system sizing.

Your best bet is to look at other vehicles using the same platform as the Taurus. Explorer, Flex, MKT, etc. However, after briefly looking through some parts setups, they are really all the same with both the normal and heavy duty brakes using the same MC/Booster after 2013.

I don't see this being possible on the Taurus unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
Mustang5L5
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing