Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out the easiest method to drain bad gas from 2015 taurus 3.5L v6. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is the first issue I've had with my taurus. No check engine light just pumped bad gas from a citgo and made it home but wont crank without starter fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or if anyone has a link to this same issue from another forum that would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have access to compressed air, you can syphon the fuel by running a hose into the fuel tank, then use a blow nozzle at the open end to create enough 'pull' to draw out fuel, once you get the fuel to the end of the hose the syphon process will start.
Of course, the end of the hose must be lower than the low point of the fuel tank.
Or, if you have a very long hose, push almost all of it into the tank, wait for it to fill with fuel in the tank, then plug the end and pull enough of it out until it's below the level of the fuel tank, then unplug it and the syphon should start.

You sure your fuel pump didn't just quit? Mine did that once at a gas station.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, my pump should still be good (fingers crossed), the store was at fault. They have had bags on their pumps since the incident. My car was able 2 drive off I'm guessing because I never turned the engine off when refueling, the other customers pumping had to get their vehicles towed off the lot since they wouldn't crank back up. I do not have access 2 compressed air but I do have a cheap siphon hand pump I haven't tried 2 use yet. I tried topping the rest of the tank off with 100 grade fuel and diluting the bad but still no luck cranking up without starter fluid and even still it wont stay cranked. So now I have a full fuel tank 2 drain :/ no check engine light tho, the car only has 55k miles on it. I was hoping to be able 2 tackle this job myself without having to tow it then pay a shop 300 bucks to drain the bad gas... will try again tmrw when daylight arrives. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can also use the fuel pump to pump out the fuel, but that of course means running it all through the fuel filter. Perhaps others here have some advice about that....

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
In the past I have drained gas by disconnecting the under car fuel filter outlet and clamping a 1/4" ID hose on the outlet bung going to gas cans, another cars tank, etc, and then hot wiring the fuel pump to pump out the gas. Keep in mind the newest car we have is an 06.

Not 100% sure on the G5/G6 but I believe there is no accessible fuel filter. I seem to recall that the fuel filter is integral with the fuel pump assy in the tank with the fuel line running directly to the fuel rails. .

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
You can run the fuel pump by removing the relay and using a jumper. I did this on one of my other cars before I donated it to drain the almost full tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 4 the input, I actually just gave up and had it towed 2 the shop and have already gotten it back. They said it looked and smelled like gas but was nothing more than just bad fuel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts