Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine stalls intermittently. The first time was at low speed. Since then, it has done it at highway speeds as well, so it's a safety concern.
Each time, I was able to restart the engine and continue on.
The errors displayed on the dash are unrelated to each other. (I'm paraphrasing because they disappear too quickly to record or photograph)
Check Traction Control System.
Oil Pressure Low.
Coolant Too Hot.
And one more I can't remember.
Yeah, I know, it sounds like Apollo 13. The only thing missing is a "Main Bus B Undervolt"
I'm guessing they all show up because the engine quit running.
I have the extended warranty but the dealer can't get me in until next week to read the codes.

Here's my question:
It appears to only do it when the AC is on. Has anyone ever heard of a compressor locking up to the point of stalling an engine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, any pulley seizing can stall the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously? I wouldn't have figured that's the case. I think the engine could drive past the belt tension. It'd slip on the stuck pulley...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me too. Plus, a if pulley or the compressor was locking up, I can't explain why I can start the car right afterwards.
However, I drove around a lot today with the AC off without a problem but with the AC on, I didn't make it out of my development and it failed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How many miles on the car?

Are you subject to the fuel pump control module recall?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only 35K miles.
I haven't received a notification of that recall. I'd have to check.
It finally failed with the AC off.
It didn't completely stall but seemed to cut out momentarily, and showed one of the errors I mentioned above in the dashboard display.
Maybe the extra electrical or mechanical load of having the AC on just makes it fail more often.
I'll have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
351 Posts
It finally failed with the AC off.
It didn't completely stall but seemed to cut out momentarily, and showed one of the errors I mentioned above in the dashboard display.
Maybe the extra electrical or mechanical load of having the AC on just makes it fail more often.
I'll have the dealer check it out.
Please post your results to inform the rest of us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket remote start?

That is what Ford claims is the fault in my steering. In my case everything but the engine shuts off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
The dealer looked at it Thursday. The tech's notes were along the lines of "It's an intermittent problem somewhere in the CAN network and we need authorization for 3 more labor hours". In other words, they weren't going to cover, plus they really had no idea how long it would take to find the suspected wiring/connector problem.
I told the mo-fos what I thought about their extended warranty and I'm now deciding if I want to go get the car or bite the bullet.

Between this problem and my wife's 2014 Focus tranny problems, I am not impressed with Ford and this dealership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Neither am I. Not impressed with Quality, all Ford products from 2006 and up models.

Recalls that don't meet the date of manufacture. 2010 to 2015 model recalls, my car is 2013. But the date made makes my car unqualified for the steering recall. Figure that out.

Beware of parts unknown....even if their own products..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've always been partial to GM. My last car was an '02 Bonneville that I put 400K miles on before retiring it.
This time, we wanted to reward Ford for not taking the Obama Bucks.
Oh well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neither am I. Not impressed with Quality, all Ford products from 2006 and up models.

Recalls that don't meet the date of manufacture. 2010 to 2015 model recalls, my car is 2013. But the date made makes my car unqualified for the steering recall. Figure that out.
I'd find a different dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Boniville SSEI. My favorite. Classic. My last GM was Cadillac CTS. Transmission issues and phantom oil leak was the last straw for me for Chev Cars. Ford was the family favorite, I've had some good luck with ford Star line of vehicles so I've tried their sedan...i liked the look. Lol. I've had no serious issues until it hit 190000km.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having similar issues, for past 2 months struggling with several CAN issues. Now, it pinned to PSCM.
Now I am trying to find a pscm for same model in a part out vehicle to replace mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not saying this is the issue, however a couple months ago (in May) I was going on a pizza run. I pulled into a 7/11 to grab a few things and upon return my 2013 SEL V6 would crank and not start. For a few weeks/months (corona meant way less dirving) some mornings it wouldn't turn over but would crank. Usually this was only a few seconds of cranking then it would start or it would "hesitate" while turning over.

The 7/11 incident was the last straw. She refused to do anything but crank. I pulled fuses, I pulled the battery cables everything. Still wouldn't start. I had it towed home, went out the next day and bought an OBD2 scanner and some spare fuses to investigate further. It wasn't throwing codes, but I figured it was the Fuel Pump Driver Module or whatever. The following day I walked to the local ford dealer, grabbed the part for 92$ and installed it. She fired up first attempt. My car was NOT covered by the recall, only the SHO and Police where I think, but it was the exact same issue.

As an aside, Ford recalled cars with "sync 2" issues but said it was only the Police/SHO units but for whatever reason my VIN was covered. Same with the rear toe links even though they again listed the SHO/Police not my SEL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts