Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my limited Taurus with digital display for climate control, no matter which air output I select, floor, defrost or combo's, the air always blows out the front vents only. The hot and cold work fine. I was not able to locate any fuses to check for actuators so I assume that are vacuum controlled? Looking for some guidance on things to check. Thanks

·
Registered
22,684 Posts
Iirc, you should have 4 elec. controlled actuators. Lh temp, rh temp, recirc and mode (vent). All should be behind the glovebox except the lh temp which is between the steering wheel and radio. Sounds as if your mode (vent) actuator is not working properly. Same exact problem happened to my '16 Chevy Impala. If at all similar, I was able to reboot/recalibrate/reset the mode actuator by pulling a red 10 amp fuse underhood and reinserting it. Upon turning the ignition to the on/run position, I could hear the actuators whirring/resetting behind the dash relearning their stopping points. Afterwards, all was back to normal. The red 10 amp fuse I pulled was marked "Display" which controls the hvac module. May research to see if you have a similar fuse underhood. From what I've read, the reboot only works for the mode actuator, not the 2 temps and recirc actuators. A couple of members on the Impala forum have successfully performed the reboot by simply disconnecting/reconnecting the battery negative (ground) cable. I didn't try that procedure since the fuse pull worked. Worst case scenario, your mode actuator has failed and needs replaced. Fwiw, on the Impala, the 2 temp and recirc actuators are all the same part#. Only the mode (vent) actuator is a different part#. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sheila - I looked high and low behind the glove box and only found two actuators, the rh temp and the recirc. I also searched the internet extensively and found little to no information as to where the vent/mode actuator is located. Almost as if Ford removed any information so that consumers are forced to use a service provider. I did call Ford and they want to charge me $500 to replace the actuator. If I can find it, have access to it, remove it and replace it, don't need the help of an overpriced Ford dealers service department. The days of this stuff happening should not be. I recall having issues with HVAC air flow in cars from the 70's and 80's. My Taurus has only 60K miles. I also saw a YouTube post of these Ford actuators notoriously failing cause of a poor redesign. My next sedan probably won't be a Ford.

·
Registered
22,684 Posts
Did you try the neg. battery disconnect? Did you look for an hvac fuse underhood? Like Chevy, it may labeled something else. On my Impala, with the glovebox open and door hanging down, the rh temp is accessible and located on the middle left side. The recirc actuator is top right of the opening obscured behind a large elec. harness. The lh temp is behind the dash between the steering wheel and radio accessible by removing a lower panel (2-3 plastic pushpins). Iirc, the mode (vent) actuator sits above or below the rh temp actuator. May have to completely remove the glovebox (pushpins and small screws). I had to change both temp actuators on the Impala. Lh was a major pita! Rh took 5 min. with the glovebox door swung down. I feel your pain. Chevy service depts. quoted me $3-900 to swap out the lh temp, lol! They said the entire dash had to be removed. I got both temp actuators for $15/ea. on Amazon and swapped them myself. The mode (vent) just needed reset with the fuse pull. Everything's been fine since early last fall. And yes, plastic gears with plastic teeth are destined to fail. Hobby Lobby brass/metal gears would be a better choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I tried the neg battery reset and no change. From what I could gather on line, although not specific to Taurus but other Ford models, the mode actuator is probably more on the drivers side, right and above of the gas pedal. Plan to look there today. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts