Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have the code p0131 that causes a CEL every now and then. Code says it's the bank 1 sensor 1. I have been unable to find somewhere that says exactly which location this is. Is this in the front by the radiator or behind the engine between the engine and firewall? If someone can please provide this answer it would be much appreciated. I don't want to accidentally take out the front sensor and find out I need to replace the one by the firewall.

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
The latter. B1S1 is the upstream (pre-cat) o2 sensor with the green elec. plug between the eng. and firewall. The downstream (post-cat) o2 sensors have blue elec. plugs. Remember, bank #1 on any vehicle is where #1 cylinder/plug is located. Bank #1= firewall (rear). Bank #2= radiator (front) on these cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The latter. B1S1 is the upstream (pre-cat) o2 sensor with the green elec. plug between the eng. and firewall. The downstream (post-cat) o2 sensors have blue elec. plugs. Remember, bank #1 on any vehicle is where #1 cylinder/plug is located. Bank #1= firewall (rear). Bank #2= radiator (front) on these cars.
Alright thank you for saving me the time of accidentally replacing the wrong one.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Before replacing it, I would check the electrical connector and harness for damage, corrosion etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before replacing it, I would check the electrical connector and harness for damage, corrosion etc.
I got it replaced, had to take the tired off to get a good access to it. The sensor looked bad. Putting in the new one cleared the code. Will hopefully have an improvement on my mpg but waiting till I drive around more to see.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Sensors are wear items. They get lazy before the PCM sets a code. I prefer to replace both when one is weak. They are good for 100K but get lazy after that. Bank 2 is easy. I prefer to cut the wires off and use a regular deep wall socket to remove as they can be quite tight. New one needs a small amount of anti-seize.
-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts