Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2019 I bought a 2014 Ford Taurus FWD SEL, great on gas mileage and was getting around 21-24 city miles, took it on a road trip last summer and got 27 MPG on that trip. I took a mini road trip a month later and my car broke down in the mountains, towed it to an auto repair shop and the intake manifold gasket blew. Replaced the intake manifold gasket for around 1k. Since then my MPG and MTE have drastically fluctuated and the gas gauge has also fluctuated as well. When I took my first road trip last year I topped off my gas and MTE read 425 MTE, got 27 MPG on that trip. Now when I top off my MTE will show around 300-315 MTE, MPG would be around 17-19 MPG city miles. I took the car to a Ford Service center in town and was told I needed a new fuel pump, forked out $1300 for a new fuel pump. When I picked up my car from the Ford Service center I went directly to the gas station, topped off and MTE read 274 and my fuel gauge showed 3/4 of a tank full even though I just topped off. I drove the car for a few days to see if something would need to kick in but the problem got worse. Two days after topping off my MTE gauge showed 16MPG, only drove 50 miles and my gas gauge was a little over half of a tank.

Could there be a link with my MTE, MPG and gas gauge fluctuation due to replacing the intake manifold gasket? I have my mind stuck on that link because the problems I am having started after the intake manifold gasket was replaced.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
Calculate the mileage by hand. Don’t rely on the computer, which has never been all that accurate. The DTE figure is a guesstimate, as is the average fuel economy.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Last time I filled up I did calculate it by hand, the #'s were only 1 off, 19MPG by hand vs 18 from the computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts