Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 interceptor, 3.7, AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2014 interceptor off of a cop auction site, it has 168k Miles already and I want to know if I should be checking in on certain things more than others.
This is my first Taurus and I’m just trying to keep the car healthy ya know.
Thank you
(Just learned this sit existed and I’m baffled by the amazing stuff on here, Love It)

·
Registered
2019 Taurus Limited FWD, 2005 Five Hundred SEL FWD (Sold my Panther to get a Bull)
10 Posts
Tequila, I saved this website when I was researching my ‘19 3.5 288 hp Bull:

The engines are the same except the bore or stroke making the displacement difference. They’re in Mazda CX-9’s to limos and your interceptor. Only 3 major issue areas and two are related. Basically check your oil filler cap for foaming residue. If it’s clean and the rest of their list is clear of those issues you’ve got a very reliable friend to carry you around for 300K miles easily. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
53 Posts
As Sheila alluded to above, these engines have an internal water pump driven by the timing chain. Inside the water pump, there are two seals. The idea is that one seal will start leaking before the other, and when this happens the moisture comes out through a weep hole behind the alternator, so that you have a visual indicator that it's time to replace the pump. You need to watch for small coolant drips and/or small amounts of steam coming from this weep hole, and change the water pump immediately if you see anything from the weep hole. However, there's a huge design oversight in this visual indicator strategy. If the pump leaks from the shaft bearing, that leaked coolant is dumped straight down into your oil pan and your engine will be almost instantly destroyed. There is a class action lawsuit over this issue. Drivers will get a notification that their engine is overheating and within a mile the engine is destroyed. So, if you see your engine temperature above normal, immediately pull over and shut off the engine, and check for signs of coolant in the oil. According to the lawsuit, Ford claims the water pump is good for the "useful life of the engine," which Ford defines as 150K miles. Some of these engines run for 200K+ miles with no issues. Others are destroyed by this water pump design flaw in as few as 35K miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I forgot to mention this in my previous post. Because of the dangerous water pump design, I purchased an aftermarket warranty through CarShield. Before purchasing the coverage, I spoke in detail with them about the water pump issue, the class-action lawsuit, etc.. They are aware of the water pump design issue, and will cover any damage caused by it, including replacing the engine if necessary. As a side note, they also cover other repairs -- basically anything for which you might need to take your car to a mechanic. I'm paying $69.99/mo. for the warranty, which removed a lot of stress/worry I had over the water pump nonsense (which I didn't know about until shortly after I purchased the car). Here's a tip for purchasing the warranty. When you call them, just conduct yourself as if you're an average consumer inquiring about what all would be covered on your car. Then, ask what the cost would be. When they give you the cost, tell them that's more than you want to pay, and thank them for their time. In about a week they'll call you back and offer you a lower price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another common issue on the AWD Taurus is the PTU. There are a lot of PTU failures when you don't change the PTU fluid religiously. Many mechanics recommend changing the PTU fluid 5K miles sooner than the manufacturer recommends (which, if memory serves me correctly, is every 30K miles).

·
Registered
2014 Ford Taurus SEL
18 Posts
I forgot to mention this in my previous post. Because of the dangerous water pump design, I purchased an aftermarket warranty through CarShield. Before purchasing the coverage, I spoke in detail with them about the water pump issue, the class-action lawsuit, etc.. They are aware of the water pump design issue, and will cover any damage caused by it, including replacing the engine if necessary. As a side note, they also cover other repairs -- basically anything for which you might need to take your car to a mechanic. I'm paying $69.99/mo. for the warranty, which removed a lot of stress/worry I had over the water pump nonsense (which I didn't know about until shortly after I purchased the car). Here's a tip for purchasing the warranty. When you call them, just conduct yourself as if you're an average consumer inquiring about what all would be covered on your car. Then, ask what the cost would be. When they give you the cost, tell them that's more than you want to pay, and thank them for their time. In about a week they'll call you back and offer you a lower price.
Yes I agree, I also have a warranty through car protection plus via the car lot I purchased my car from

·
Registered
2014 Ford Taurus SEL
18 Posts
Another common issue on the AWD Taurus is the PTU. There are a lot of PTU failures when you don't change the PTU fluid religiously. Many mechanics recommend changing the PTU fluid 5K miles sooner than the manufacturer recommends (which, if memory serves me correctly, is every 30K miles).
I'm so sorry but what does PTU mean?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the interceptor club buddy!

First thing I did was change all the fluids to newest standards, check your coolant and get the newest revision color(yellow not GOLD). Also put on a new degass bottle cap, that one is about to dribble and loose coolant slowly on you.
Transmission fluid I would do a pan drain and fill like two or three times with short intervals. (I use mobile one synthetic LV HP blue label)
PTU drain and refill, if you have the same PTU as me then should have a vent tube on right side of engine to the left of battery. Get a double sided barb and a longer tube and you can use this vent for a fill tube. Makes it much easier, just preheat fluid before pouring. (have had great success with redline oils)
New spark plugs (ngk ruthenium) and upstream 02 sensors(both, oem ford) if you wanna go the "gusto".

Make sure you download FORSCAN and get a good adaptor (wired prefered), turn on that remote start and get a new 5 button key fob with it! Also enable that AWD gauge in the cluster

1 - 14 of 14 Posts