Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit of research looking for some winter tires for my SHO. (Here in Minnesota it is a real must 9 months out of the year after all.) Anyway, couldn't find a lot of good specs so after pulling the trigger I figured I'd share the results and a few photos for others who might be on the market.

I had to drop down to an 18" wheel to get a good price on snow tires. Went with a set of Michelin X-ice Xi2 235/55R-18 tires mounted on 18x8 Focal F16 wheels. Centering rings were provided by the vendor.

They look good though obviously not as aggressive as the 20s.

Enjoy,
James

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm curious how the AWD on the SHO will handle our tough MN snows. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking to do the same thing.... I wanna switch to 18s with the Michelin Ice. I had the Michelin Ice on my 2010 Fusion Sport and loved them, car never skipped a beat on snow or ice, but I'm unsure if they'll work with the PP on my 14 SHO? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
17" Kumho I'zen RV Snow and Ice

Just thought I'd share the snows that I have on my 2010 SHO. 17" Kumho I'zen RV snow and ice-235/60/17. No fancy rims just steel wheels.

Handles really well and a must in Canadian winters. 1st year I had my SHO was running the stock Michelin Primacy IV. A bit slippery in the winter even with the AWD. So I spent about $1100 taxes in for steel wheels, tires, installed and balanced.

Last winter we had a snow storm...35 cm. Cars and trucks were getting stuck everywhere. I was able to drive down unplowed sides streets, stop for cars spinning their tires trying to get unstuck and then start again without any problem whatsoever! Snow tires and the SHO AWD was amazing. My neighbours shoveling out stuck cars on my street couldn't figure out how I could stop and start with so much snow.

Worth the cost. BTW, the 17'' were even a better price than the 18".

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I'm surprised at how small the 18" wheels look in the wheelwell. If you're running 18's most of the year, you should really consider the H&R springs to reduce the height of the car just a bit. BTW, the wheels do look great on the car!

·
Registered
32 Posts
We are using 18" Blizzaks on new alloy explorer rims that I bought from the local dealer. They work amazing. The stock 19" Goodyear RSA's were downright scary in the snow!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blizzak DM-V1

Just wanted to put a shoutout on here for the Blizzak DM-V1. I went with some 18" Enkei wheels w/ Blizzak DM-V1's from the main tire retailer that will come up for winter tire searches :) I would have gone steel wheels but I couldn't easily find whether they'd fit.

So far it's night and day for winter handling. Granted, I'm coming from the Michelin F1 Supercar summer tires that came with my 2013 SHO w/ Performance Package, but it's still great to have winter traction. Summer tires in the snow is no f'ing joke - basically ice skating before the plows/salt comes through. The slightest amount of brake pressure would activate ABS. Winter tires make this car fun to drive in the snow and closer to what you'd expect from an AWD sedan.

Incidentally, I'm getting used to the plush ride from the 18s compared to the 20s ;)

Overall I love my 2013 SHO, it's a large car with legitimate power that gets a lot of looks...

Pics for the wheels/tires forthcoming....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to put a shoutout on here for the Blizzak DM-V1. I went with some 18" Enkei wheels w/ Blizzak DM-V1's from the main tire retailer that will come up for winter tire searches :) I would have gone steel wheels but I couldn't easily find whether they'd fit.

So far it's night and day for winter handling. Granted, I'm coming from the Michelin F1 Supercar summer tires that came with my 2013 SHO w/ Performance Package, but it's still great to have winter traction. Summer tires in the snow is no f'ing joke - basically ice skating before the plows/salt comes through. The slightest amount of brake pressure would activate ABS. Winter tires make this car fun to drive in the snow and closer to what you'd expect from an AWD sedan.

Incidentally, I'm getting used to the plush ride from the 18s compared to the 20s ;)

Overall I love my 2013 SHO, it's a large car with legitimate power that gets a lot of looks...

Pics for the wheels/tires forthcoming....
I too went with the DM-V1's on new 18's from Tirerack... had them shipped direct to Midas. Anyway, went yesterday and had them put on. Midas told me they couldn't reset the TPMS cuz their reset tool won't work on a 14 Taurus, so not only am I riding round with the speedo telling me I'm going faster than I actually am (which I expected), but now I'm dealing with the message pop up everytime I start up. Is taking it to my local dealer my only option? or is there a reset tool that will work with my 14?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I'm very partial to Bridgestone tires, I had Dueler Revo's on my F-150 and they worked amazingly in all conditions except deep mud. I would love to replace my Michelin's on the SHO with Bridgestones but they don't make anything that fit the 245/65R/20's....

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Woah what your SHO has 245/65 tires?! Those are giant! The new 20" are 245/45R20 and 19" are 255/45R19. Mistype or do you just have extra large tires?

I'm using my factory 18" wheels in the winter (going to put snow tires on them next winter but my all seasons have too much life left) and 19" 2013 SHO wheels for the summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.