Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 Taurus SEL with the capless gas tank that takes E85 fuel.

The past several times (5+) I've fueled up the pump keeps shutting off as if the tank is full. I can pull the nozzle out and re-start, but it happens again after 0.5-1.5 gallons are put in. I have not had any engine problems, check engine lights or anything else. It's just a pain in the ass to fill up.

It seems obvious that pressure is building up in the tank that is causing the kill switch on the pump to trip. So, I suspect that there is a vent tube that is kinked or clogged, or perhaps the EVAP filter canister itself is clogged. My first thought was to find the vent pipe and blow air through it, then replace the canister if that doesn't work.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any dirt or damage around the fuel inlet that I can see.

What I would like is
  • Advice or other ideas from anyone who has had a similar problem. If you think I'm misdiagnosing the problem, please chime in.
  • A diagram of the EVAP/Fuel line system for my model. I looked under the, but couldn't immediately tell what tube does what. So I didn't want to mess with it until I did some studying. (YouTube hasn't come through for me on this one.)
Thanks!
Bart

PS. I accidentally posted this in the older model forum. Sorry for the repost

·
Registered
97 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on my 2008 at QT. I happened to always pull to the same pump and it worked on my Suburban and Mercury Villager just fine. I switched lanes to a different pump and that solved the problem for me. I have had it happen a couple of times at other pumps in other places. Don't know if this helps, but moving to a different pump worked for me.
David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A similar thing happened to me on my 2008 at QT. I happened to always pull to the same pump and it worked on my Suburban and Mercury Villager just fine. I switched lanes to a different pump and that solved the problem for me. I have had it happen a couple of times at other pumps in other places. Don't know if this helps, but moving to a different pump worked for me.
David
It's done it for me at several pumps at different stations, so I'm pretty sure it's the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts