Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody feedback for me what that could be???

2013 Taurus. 119K on it...
Last week I got twice within 20miles the error message “engine coolant overheated” RED error message left display section!
Immediately turned the car off and pulled over. That happened like 5mins after leaving the house. Outside temp 35F.

Checked coolant and actual level and temperature.... was totally fine.
Started the car... all good. Coolant level
Indicator back to normal level No issues at all.
Drove around 15miles down the highway and it happened again...
Error message... noticed the digital indicator jumped from normal to HIGH in a split second which can’t happen!
Engine was rough as well. Seemed to be a precaution so that driver would turn of engine if it’s really overheating ...

Anyway... didn’t even stop on the highway. Shifted to N... turned off engine... turned it back on and it was totally fine..indicator also back to
Normal immediately... drove the last couple of miles without incidents...engine light came on as well but before I had the chance to check on the error code it turned back of

Hasn’t happen for a week now but what could that be??
I remember I added some coolant the night before, and all the sudden this happens the morning after.

Input appreciated. Shop couldn’t find anything suspicious. Car is in great shape

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like either a bad wire to or bad temperature sensor. Be good if you hooked up a OBD2 reader and watch the live temp stats of the temperature.
That would be where I would start

·
Registered
8 Posts
You may see that it is normal and then all of a sudden shoots too a high temperature. Which of course is a false reading.

·
Super Moderator
7,835 Posts
I would start by replacing the ECT. Easy and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a good idea with the ECT. Probably trying that. Loose wiring I’m going to check this weekend. What motcher41 said is exactly the case. I had no chance to read out the error code as the engine light disappears after a couple of hours. Also the temperature jumps immediately up to high (from normal) which can not happen...

Was good the entire last week. Did it today again. I assume it is a loose wire or really the ECT. Fun fact... I turned the car of... turned it back on and everything was back to normal. Lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like a good idea with the ECT. Probably trying that. Loose wiring I’m going to check this weekend. What motcher41 said is exactly the case. I had no chance to read out the error code as the engine light disappears after a couple of hours. Also the temperature jumps immediately up to high (from normal) which can not happen...

Was good the entire last week. Did it today again. I assume it is a loose wire or really the ECT. Fun fact... I turned the car of... turned it back on and everything was back to normal. Lol
CEL will be stored unless you cleared all the codes. That will tell you the culprit. You can get them read at an auto part store, but if DIY type then you shoud bu one for your use. They are more than handy and worth the cost.

Tom in Dallas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx guys....

Does anybody know where that freaking coolant temp sensor is located on a 2013 SEL Taurus engine ??? I googled the **** out of it but nothing really comes up.

Handing the car over to dealership today for regular state inspection they take care of it but I’m curious !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So that’s the official report regarding my issue with the system thinking the coolant temp is to high. It reads like the circuit to the sensor is interrupting... your thoughts ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could be bad wiring or loose ground. You could test the connector with a multimeter, or roll the dice and replace it. I'd investigate the wiring and test it first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be bad wiring or loose ground. You could test the connector with a multimeter, or roll the dice and replace it. I'd investigate the wiring and test it first.
Agreed BUT for that I need to find that good damn thing first. Can anybody tell me where it is located ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
It'd be easier for you to google it and get pics or video. Follow the upper radiator hose to where it goes into the thermostat housing on the intake, should be right on the other side of that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me I googled the crap out of that subject there is no reliable diagrams available car is at the shop now I let them figure it out ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So for everybody who might run into the same issue. Even after changing both coolant sensors the issues still
occurred. Less frequently than before but still happened....

At the end of the day, even tho the sensors would have been my first best guess as well, it was the wiring harness which connected the ETC to the computer, shop said some wires in that harness touched and something was grounded. After fixing that I hope I’m good now... weird fault but issue solved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts