Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!! 2013 Taurus 3.5 with 67,000 miles. Driving down the road car started running poorly and CEL came on. I pulled two codes stating a misfire on cylinder 3 and 6 (strange it happened 2 at once) replaced all plugs and coils, when doing so I found that coil on the 5 cy was smoked (melted and cracked). I put one of my old (still good) coils in the 5 cy and it smoked it again. I decided to check and see how many bolts are going to each cylinder. I checked 4 and 6 and they were both below 1 volt, number 5 was around 13 volts. I couldn’t check the rear of the engine since they are covered. Anyone have any idea what would all of the sudden cause this? Or anyone know how many volts should be going to each coil?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take off your upper intake manifold, replace gasket, so you can access the back three cylinders with deep wheel socket. Change all 6 plugs and coils (Motorcraft), start with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 SEL
394 Posts
Take off your upper intake manifold, replace gasket, so you can access the back three cylinders with deep wheel socket. Change all 6 plugs and coils (Motorcraft), start with that.
I'm not enough of a motorhead to speak intelligently, but isn't that a lot easier said than done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the best deal you will find for the coils. The plugs and gasket wont fit, but for that price, who cares. You can buy the rest of the parts locally.
Kit - Ford (BA5Z-12259-A) | TascaParts.com
The hardest part of the job for me was figuring out how to unlock the coil connectors. For those, all you need to do is wedge a small flathead behind the red tab and twist. The red tab should click and slide back towards the wires. Do not try to pry them up. You will break them. It's not a difficult job at all. Very basic tools are all that's needed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That kit is a good deal. Here’s a video to help you do the tune up yourself:

If you’re uncomfortable doing this after watching the video, the other option is to go to the dealership and have them do all this, but I wouldn’t be surprised between parts and labor, if it exceeds $1,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts