Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Taurus SHO. Radio has started malfunctioning more and more often. It will show the song playing on my phone, but no audio from speakers. When this happens, I cannot toggle to AM/FM/ etc... The buttons on the screen don't respond. Sometimes shutting it off for a few and restarting clears it up. But it seems to be getting worse. No rhyme or reason to when it will happen or when it will clear up. I am (right now) assuming it is the ACM (containing the DVD player). From other Ford forums, this seems to be a common occurrence (F150's, especially).

So, I would like to try swapping out the ACM. I'll check tomorrow if there are any ACM/APIM codes stored (just got back from a 700 mile drive, using a BT speaker for music), but in the meantime, there's two ACM's that are available - DG1Z18C869HA and DG1Z18C869JA. The difference between the two being with and without premium audio. I guess my question right now is how to determine if I have premium audio or not without tearing down the dash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone knows other possible causes of the no audio issue, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
-JBinTN

·
Registered
58 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't the SHOs (and maybe the Limiteds?) have a Sony premium sound system?

It does sound like it's an internal issue in the radio itself considering it's still on but not responding, that ACM could definitely be the culprit. Radio problems are the worst, I had a crappy Dual system in my Ranger that I overheated on a cold day (forgot to turn down the heater) never turned back on after that. Used my cupholder as a "booster" for my phone speakers on the drive home that day, hah.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is, indeed, a Sony radio system. Is that the only qualifier for "premium sound system"? If so, then that would answer my question. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe so, you probably have the 8 or 10 speaker Sony Premium Audio system. It's usually an option on lower end models but I think the SHOs are 100% equiped. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a recall on the APIM (the computer driving the infotainment system) - I had the same issue on my 2013 SHO.

I did the SYNC3 Upgrade linked here - Ford SYNC2 to SYNC3 Upgrade
This fixed the problem and even gained a few features in the process. It's very easy to do (albeit time consuming) - with the hardest part being finding a decent SYNC3 APIM from Car-Part.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hooked up FORScan - no codes present or stored** (radio was working when I got in the car - go figure). Reset ACM. Performed ACM and APIM self tests - no problems found. Gonna roll with it and carry my laptop in car so when it does it again I can hook it up and see what it's doing when it's doing it.

** Doubt they're related, but codes U0423 (IPC), and B2312/B2324 (DS mirror position vert/horz) were present initially. Reset those DTC's and they did not come back.

I'll update as this story unfolds. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Yes, premium sound, since it's Sony. Got module part #'s with FORScan. No audio today. No matter how long the car sat. No codes from any modules. Tried forced module resets on ACM/APIM - no go. Removed fuse 29 as suggested elsewhere - nothing. Tried a different key FOB (also suggested somewhere) - nothing. Picking up a salvage screen (APIM) tomorrow, and ordered a salvage ACM on eBay, so not this weekend but next I'll do the dirty and replace both and see what happens. I've had the car 2 months. Yay, me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Taurus SHO. Radio has started malfunctioning more and more often. It will show the song playing on my phone, but no audio from speakers. When this happens, I cannot toggle to AM/FM/ etc... The buttons on the screen don't respond. Sometimes shutting it off for a few and restarting clears it up. But it seems to be getting worse. No rhyme or reason to when it will happen or when it will clear up. I am (right now) assuming it is the ACM (containing the DVD player). From other Ford forums, this seems to be a common occurrence (F150's, especially).

So, I would like to try swapping out the ACM. I'll check tomorrow if there are any ACM/APIM codes stored (just got back from a 700 mile drive, using a BT speaker for music), but in the meantime, there's two ACM's that are available - DG1Z18C869HA and DG1Z18C869JA. The difference between the two being with and without premium audio. I guess my question right now is how to determine if I have premium audio or not without tearing down the dash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone knows other possible causes of the no audio issue, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
-JBinTN
I have this same problem with my 2013 Ford Taurus Limited. I also have problems with my backup camera.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kind of an update... Still waiting on the ACM and a APIM that has exact match numbers. I have a theory, however. We got our first drenching rain since I've owned the car yesterday. I got in the car to putz around a little more with module programming and it was raining inside! It must have just started, because I was able to get it under control. The sunroof was the source. Driver's side drain was not draining. The track filled, and the water ultimately chose the maplight/sunglass assembly to exit into the interior of the car. It was dripping onto the HVAC control panel. Had I not intervened I could definitely envision the interior leaking getting bad enough to drip water right into the CD slot (which is part of the ACM). I don't know how long that drain had been clogged. When we got the car, the dealer said the sunroof had been found to be leaking, but the sunroof assembly was on backorder. Took delivery of the car after waiting 2 weeks and had them send me the assembly when they got it. It didn't leak until yesterday, so didn't pay it any attention - the new sunroof assy is still in the box in the garage.

So, blew out the drains and verified both can keep up with a steady flow of water. Not sure that's the cause of the problem, but there's a good chance that's it. Looking forward to getting my parts and having audio again!

P.S. - SYNC2 to SYNC3 complete kits are available on Amazon for $699. I'll do that sometime this summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, last update on this issue... Replacement APIM still hasn't arrived (the salvage yard called me yesterday and asked where the module is located in the vehicle!) So, I rolled the dice on it being just the ACM, and it was! The replacement ACM was a part number identical match, so no programming or anything else required. The part number on my particular Taurus was DG1T-19C107-CG, and I paid $85.00 for it, shipping included. Now I have a spare screen, and soon will have a 2nd replacement APIM which I hope I'll never need. Total of 32 7mm screws had to be removed, and basically all the dash panels and console trim had to be either completely removed or halfway taken apart to get to some of those screws. Took about an hour and a half. Happy to have audio back, and looking forward to doing the SYNC3 upgrade in a month or two. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!
-JBinTN
Mine was doing the same thing it was the ACM module! I took the number off of the old acm and found one on eBay fixed the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts