Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2013 SEL just died

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Smitty79 
#1 ·
I went to go pickup a pizza today and wanted to make another stop first. I started my 2013 SEL and it had the tiniest of stutter which I dismissed as having the car sit with minimal driving. I drove to the mail box, shut it off and turned it on perfectly fine. Drove to stop #2, shut it off, went inside maybe 6 minutes and when I tried to start it refused. It cranks for 5-10 seconds then auto stops cranking. I let it sit, turned it to run and could not here fuel pump whine, but did hear some mechanical noise from the dash. Tried to start it again and same crank no start.

I let it sit, turned it to run then off then run again. I started it and this time it sounded like it wanted to catch but then just back to cranking. I ended up calling a tow truck to haul it home. It sounds like it may be the fuel pump driver module from my research. I am going to pull fuses tomorrow and order the module, hopefully it isnt the fuel pump gone. Anything else I should check while doing this? Anybody else experience a similar issue? About 84k miles, full tank of gas, replaced the battery 8 months ago roughly.

#2 ·
Use a scan tool to look for any FPDM related codes. FPDM failure is common enough that I carry a used, known good spare in the trunk of my 05 SEL Premium Tec at all times. At least with the 05, FPDM is very easy to access.

#4 ·
I had similar issues in my 13 SEL and it turned out to be the MAF. You may want to swap that out (Dorman was ~$75 AutoZone). You say you have a full tank of gas, so it could also be your purge valve. This is a super simple, easy to access, couple minute job and about $30 at AutoZone or Advance. If I were you, I’d change both of those (5 min each), and see if she runs. If not, you’ve replaced two parts that are a good idea to change at your mileage anyway, and you’ll rule out those. If you’re financially conservative, try one at a time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
It was the fuel pump driver module. 94$ at ford, online was basically the same oem or aftermarket. 5 minute swap and she fired up first shot. Monday I am calling ford and getting any outstanding recall work done.

Bit of a piss off with covid because the ford store is on modified hours. I work with car dealerships so I actually know the margins on most parts, or I can get the info and honestly this was worth it to grab it from the dealership. Thankfully a quick, cheap fix.

#8 ·
Canada. 35$, plus shipping so 45-50, with exchange puts me in the 70$ range plus wait time of a week plus.

The extra couple bucks was worth it. Tomorrow its getting the rear toe links/control arms swapped under recall. Unfortunately I didnt know about the Sync extended warranty recall and missed it (jan 31st) which would have been super nice since sync is dead in my taurus.

#9 ·
So the SEL is affected by the rear toe link recall? I thought that was just the Interceptor/Police and SHO trims?

Regarding the sync recall, are you talking about the Accessory Protocol Interface Module(APIM) extended coverage? I didn’t realize that had an end date..?

#10 ·
So the SEL is affected by the rear toe link recall? I thought that was just the Interceptor/Police and SHO trims?

Regarding the sync recall, are you talking about the Accessory Protocol Interface Module(APIM) extended coverage? I didn’t realize that had an end date..?

I thought soo too on the rear toe link, but my vin is covered by it? Mine is a 2013 SEL so I ignored it. The sync thing was an APIM extended warranty ending January 31st, 2020. I am going to get the toe links replaced (free) then raise holy hell about the Sync issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.