Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch to higher mileage oil. I bought castrol synthetic blend 5w-30, instead of 5w-20 like a doofus, because I googled it at the store. I know the 3.5l turbo and 2.0l take 5w-30, but my taurus says 5w-20.

I bought 10l of the stuff, so 1.8 oil changes worth roughly. I very much doubt I can exchange it and selling it privately will be a pain. Is my engine going to catastrophically fail if I use this for 2 oil changes? It is summer so I would realistically get back onto 5w-20 in the fall (next oil change).

·
Registered
373 Posts
No expert here but think the trend towards lower viscosity oils had been largely by the effort to increase the MPG for the fleet aggregate. Agree with Sheila, you will be fine.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
^^^^^ Agree 100%
I run have run Mobil 1 5W30 is the 05 SEL Premium Tec, 95 GL Vulcan, 06 SE Vulcan, and the daughters 13 Limited for years with zero issues. Run 5W30 dino oil in the wifes 06 SE as it has enough body rot that it probably only has a few years of life left it it before it heads to the JY.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,056 Posts
VCT generally doesn’t like oil viscosity changes, FWIW. As to whether two changes worth will cause any major damage, that’s another matter.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,056 Posts
Talked a bit with someone else, your 2013 should be okay. Early VCT was a lot more picky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went ahead and put 5w30 in. Apparently Mr Lube is a terrible terrible company to get oil changes because I needed a breaker bar leveraged against my ratchet to get the drain plug to budge even the slightest. Back to 20lb (ish). Meanwhile I easily spun off the cheap filter they put on.

I am going to get a new fill plug. I also noticed that my transmission had a fair amount of oily residue on it. Fun times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts