Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good procedure to change the Orange coolant in the GenVI bulls?

My GenIV, we simply opened the clamp on the passenger side T-junction (lowest point) and drained it from there. I haven't been under the new bull enough to know if there is a similar T-junction/low point like the GenIV's.

I'm sitting at just over 61k. I think I just read on another post that Ford doesn't recommend changing the coolant till 100K??? That seems a bit extreme, as well as the transmission fluid at 150K.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Honestly, in my Bull I was planning to change it at 60k, max, for the trans fluid. No way in HELL that fluid should go that long. No comment as to coolant, although as a matter of practice we like to flush that as well before too long.

The trans in our 6F35 Escape was starting to have issues at 35 (it was also several years old, which didn't help the wear any). I had it flushed at Quick Lane, all the problems vanished. I doubt the 6F50/55 twins have any better fluid dynamics.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Radiator petcock? Tranny drain plug? If so, you're looking at fluids and a 1/2 hr.
sheila,

Sorry for the confusion. I was primarily looking for recommendations or a procedure to change the engine coolant. I was only mentioning the transmission oil/fluid at ~150k to draw attention to what Ford recommends the transmission oil change procedure to be done at.

By the way, are there transmission oil drain plugs on these newer cars? I know the filters are not replaceable as they are tucked way up in side the transmission.

Edit: grammar purposes

·
Registered
22,637 Posts
^ Dunno. On my '12/'13 Impalas, there's a radiator petcock and an atf drain plug. Literally takes mins. to change both. Like your Ford, there's no atf filter to contend with. It's also inaccessible w/o removing and cracking the tranny case open.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a radiator petcock on the driver side of the radiator. You have to remove the front plastic lip (undertray?) under the bumper cover to get at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts