Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I was reading a lot of contradictory information about brakes including PP.
I invested some time to verify everything with the shop manual and the part ordering system.

Please let me give you an overview for 2013+ models. If there is anything missing or wrong, please correct so we have a complete tread with all information:

Rotor:

For SHO, the rotor is always the same regardless of PP, part number is: DG1Z-1125-C
For non SHO the part number is always: CB5Z-1125-A (the same rotor was used in 2011-2012 SHO)

Pads:
For SHO, the pads are always the same regardless of PP, part number is: DG1Z-2001-F (I read a lot about special pads for the PP but its not the case according to all available data)
For non SHO the part number is: EB5Z-2001-A

Calipers:

For SHO, the calipers are different for PP and non PP models. Funny thing is, that the PP calipers are only costing 36 dollars a piece online and the Caliper Support is the same for both! - interesting upgrade?! numbers for the right side are:
DG1Z-2B120-A WITH PP (121 left)
DG1Z-2B120-E WITHOUT PP (121 left)

Also important:

- Master cylinder and brake booster are the same for ALL 2013 models including PP.
- The brake fluid is always the same for all models including PP DOT 4 LV
- The wheel hub and knuckle is different for SHO and non SHO models. Also the knuckle is different between PP and non PP (I believe because of the stronger axle parts?)

So the question is if the SHO wheel hub if fitting in the non SHO knuckle. If this is the case, a brake upgrade NON SHO -> SHO whould be relatively easy possible. If not there is nearly no way to upgrade.

Let me know if I forgot something and I will add it.

Best
Sascha

·
Registered
835 Posts
Although there is not a easy swap from NON SHO brakes to SHO but there could be a twist. You will have to check and possibly experiment even if it means purchasing both and returning the non used one. Dealer Techs have advised that for the rear ROTORS ONLY The SHO Vented Rotors can be used on a NON SHO rear system. I know theoretically the fronts to more of the braking but if you are considering a rear rotor replacement anyway it might be a good time to consider vented rear rotors to help them last longer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Back to the Brake fluid for a quick minute.....not a specific case but a general reminder.

DOT 4 LV Low Viscosity... A Quick note.......DOT4 is the current version and is BACKWARDS COMPATABLE with DOT3 systems.

This means that DOT4 fluid CAN be used in DOT 3 systems.......

DOT 3 fluid CAN NOT be used in DOT4 Systems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a couple of questions. 1. What is PP? 2. I bought a 2015 Taurus SEL with the 20" machined wheels. Would this vehicle have the same size rotors and pads as a Taurus with the standard 18" wheel package? Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bringing this back up for discussion. This seems a decent brake upgrade for us non-SHO guys.

The Taurus shares its platform with the flex and explorer, and as a result, other vehicles share the same brakes. Sho brakes share the same part number as the "heavy duty" brakes on the flex, as well as the brakes on the PI taurus and explorer. I believe explorer sport brakes are also the same.

Swapping to heavy duty brakes is pretty popular with the flex guys. There are a few links on this. In fact there are prepackaged kits:

Front:
http://www.levittownfordparts.com/mobile/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-front-p-2195.html

Rear:
http://www.levittownfordparts.com/mobile/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-rear-p-2196.html

The flex guys don't report any difference in swapping the different calipers onto their spindles.

So is this a viable means of upgrading to SHO brakes? 13.8" front brakes would be a great upgrade.

Give this a read
http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14690

Still need to check part numbers on the explorer kits. The caliper bracket pn is different than the ones on the flex site. Unsure if they are different here. I want to believe all you need is the bracket.

Coworker has a flex with the 13.8" brakes. I'm going to compare. Would be great if all you need is rotors, pads and the bracket. I'm more interested in doing at least the fronts.

Don't order that explorer kit yet...need to confirm it will work first. I have read of differences between front spindle and hub making a retrofit impossible, but those comments have been made by 10-12SHO guys trying to put the 13+ brakes on. I haven't seen too many 13+ non turbo guys ask about the swap

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is obviously an old thread and I am guessing, based upon the dearth of information I was able to find on The Googles, that the answer is going to be NO, but I figure there's no harm in asking. Was anyone ever successful in doing a change to SHO/Performance/Police brakes on a non-SHO/Performance/Police 2013 Taurus or I guess 2013 through 2015 Taurus? Or, for that matter, the Explorer/Flex mod proposed above. It sounds like it comes down to the attachment of the caliper brackets to the steering knuckle, if I am reading this thread correctly.

I am about to do a complete brake job on the '13 Limited that I inherited from my late brother and now is the time to update if ever....

Thanks in advance for any insight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
sheila
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing