Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm brand new here as I've just recently inherited my Taurus from my ex after a breakup. Here's my issue that began last night:

Vehicle - 2012 Taurus SEL w/ 3.5L 4V Cyclone @180,003mi
When braking and coming to a stop, the oil pressure RTT warning indicator comes on and makes an audible chime. This goes away after a few moments, and after pulling away. I'm assuming the timing is simply due to engine RPMs dropping to idle as I come to a stop? If that assumption is wrong please correct me. This happened twice on my way to dinner last night. After cooling down I checked the oil and it was below the fill point on the dipstick. I added 1.5 qt of 5W30 hoping the heavier weight oil would help a bit. Driving home roughly 4.5 miles the indicator came on roughly 3 times. This am, it occurred again - and more frequently as I drove. I babied it home watching the temp gauge carefully. I'm certain that the oil hasn't been changed in a LONG time - she wasn't very responsible about her cars in the past and I'm sure nothing changed with this one.

Step one is a full oil and filter change with a clean quart flush through. Assuming that would just be a band-aid on a larger problem, my plan is to grab a gauge and check actual oil pressure first - hoping that it's just the pressure switch. I can't seem to find a resource anywhere for locating the switch on my specific model year. I'm new to the Taurus and don't know the gens well enough to know which other years would be the same so I thought it'd be much safer to come to you all for advice. If there's anything I'm missing or other items I can check on my own, or stories of issues you've faced and fixed please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed. Here's how it went:

Drained oil, changed filter, flushed, changed filter again, refilled. No change. Warning was displayed after a few min of warming up and came on only when at idle or approaching idle while coming to a stop. It came up more and more often as the engine continued to heat up. No increase in actual engine temp - according to the in-dash gauge at least - was evident. Picked up a low oil pressure switch for $11 at an awesome local auto parts store and chatted for a while with the staff about the issue. Got a quote from a reputable repair shop in the neighborhood for $137 to replace the switch. That included a $25 charge for a new switch as they refused to work with customer supplied parts :/ . I Decided to take care of it myself!

I found the switch located on the front of the engine, passenger side, approx. half-way down the block. If you formed a triangle out of the alternator, AC compressor, and left edge of the fwd exhaust manifold the sensor sits in the center of the triangle. Removal and installation was a breeze with a 3/8" drive socket and 6" Extension. Started, warmed up, went for a drive and voila! No illuminated indicators or warnings of any type! (likely for the first time in years!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts