Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just heard Ford did another revision to the 3.5 coolant pump in 2016 to make it even less prone to premature failure.
Anyone know if that includes the replacement parts? Just had my water pump replaced at 88K. Would like to believe I'll never have to worry about it again.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I just heard Ford did another revision to the 3.5 coolant pump in 2016 to make it even less prone to premature failure.
Strengthened/improved impeller, AFAIK.

·
Registered
92 Posts
coming back to you , brn ,I think Rock Auto has a P/N for the newest pump. A 2013 was supposed to have the more "robust" pump, or was Ford just BSing us? Was yours leaking? Caught in time before it destroyed the engine. My bro had one total out his 2008 Edge. No sounds or sights of impending total doom, @135~K mi.

·
Registered
92 Posts
AFAIK there is a class action suit vs Ford for this sh**ty designed & worse possible placement of this pump, that fails & destroys the engine now more than realized. If I find the link again , will post. On the www net , just punch in "Ford 3.5 catastrophic water pump failure" , there is more than one link on the issue, several. Seems to me the problem is not so isolated as some think , & at low mileages that are shocking too.

From the info I got , it seems Mazda designed the Cyclone series engines , & Ford tech on YouTube , MAKULOCO, responded & confirmed that. He said Mazda blamed Ford for putting what they said was a low quality coolant pump in. He stated , though , why then was Mazda putting the same CP/WP as Ford, in their vehicles equipped with the same engines series? Passing the buck?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Class Action Suit Filed

You are correct taucor0315

Just spreading the word that a Class action was filed. They already called me and interviewed me about what happened with my Taurus. Additional reports (especially those who had it repaired by Ford and/or had the engine blow) will just help strengthen their case.

This defect was solved in the newer gen 3.5's, so there was no reason Ford couldn't recall the old water pumps.

Links:

https://www.ktmc.com/ford-lincoln-water-pump-engine-failure

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kessler-topaz-meltzer--check-llp-announces-a-consumer-class-action-filed-against-ford-for-defective-water-pumps-300697193.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
coming back to you , brn ,I think Rock Auto has a P/N for the newest pump. A 2013 was supposed to have the more "robust" pump, or was Ford just BSing us? Was yours leaking? Caught in time before it destroyed the engine. My bro had one total out his 2008 Edge. No sounds or sights of impending total doom, @135~K mi.
It is on a 2013 (built in early 2012) and it was a light leak. The temp got hot (car yelled at me) and I shut the car down right away. I let it cool down and limped it home, watching the temp the whole way (shut it off once one the way home). Poured some water in once I got home and didn't have a temperature issue until I was able to get it into the dealer. Had them change the chain while they were in there.

I suspect my caution prevented any damage.

I am a little curious about the hours applied to the work. People claim this is a 12 hour job for a Ford technician. I assumed, they'd have my car for two days. From the time I approved the work until they called me to say it was done, was six hours. Maybe he/she was just that good!

Btw: This was the one and only time I've ever purchased an extended warranty. It's also the only time an extended warranty would have paid for itself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is on a 2013 (built in early 2012) and it was a light leak. The temp got hot (car yelled at me) and I shut the car down right away. I let it cool down and limped it home, watching the temp the whole way (shut it off once one the way home). Poured some water in once I got home and didn't have a temperature issue until I was able to get it into the dealer. Had them change the chain while they were in there.

I suspect my caution prevented any damage.

I am a little curious about the hours applied to the work. People claim this is a 12 hour job for a Ford technician. I assumed, they'd have my car for two days. From the time I approved the work until they called me to say it was done, was six hours. Maybe he/she was just that good!

Btw: This was the one and only time I've ever purchased an extended warranty. It's also the only time an extended warranty would have paid for itself.
Glad to hear that your engine didn't blow brn, like so many do , with this problem. 88K is far too soon for even a pump that is external to go. You'd think Ford & Mazda would make sure this WP could last at least 100K, being in the goofy location they put in? I assume you saw coolant coming out of the "weep hole", during the problem? Secondly , I heard this job pays 12 hrs. labor too. My guess for the rapid job was they either started the job before your OK , or a couple of techs/mechanics worked on it? BTW I think you had the so called newer , more "robust" pump as Ford states it?

Because of poor service at 5 Star Ford , & this catastrophic WP failure, I don't think I will ever buy another Ford. When I owned my '09 Impala, there was always a Chevy service rep monitoring the Impala forum. I guess Ford doesn't give a crap if they make a blunder like this stupidly placed WP. & obviously they don't give a crap about owner loyalty? Never heard from a Ford rep monitoring this forum?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are correct taucor0315

Just spreading the word that a Class action was filed. They already called me and interviewed me about what happened with my Taurus. Additional reports (especially those who had it repaired by Ford and/or had the engine blow) will just help strengthen their case.

This defect was solved in the newer gen 3.5's, so there was no reason Ford couldn't recall the old water pumps.

Links:

https://www.ktmc.com/ford-lincoln-water-pump-engine-failure

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kessler-topaz-meltzer--check-llp-announces-a-consumer-class-action-filed-against-ford-for-defective-water-pumps-300697193.html
Thanks for the post Minter66, I knew I saw the link, but forgot where. Yes, to your suggestion , if people have this problem , especially at unacceptably low mileage, they should enter this C/A lawsuit, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Glad to hear that your engine didn't blow brn, like so many do , with this problem. 88K is far too soon for even a pump that is external to go. You'd think Ford & Mazda would make sure this WP could last at least 100K, being in the goofy location they put in? I assume you saw coolant coming out of the "weep hole", during the problem? Secondly , I heard this job pays 12 hrs. labor too. My guess for the rapid job was they either started the job before your OK , or a couple of techs/mechanics worked on it? BTW I think you had the so called newer , more "robust" pump as Ford states it?

Because of poor service at 5 Star Ford , & this catastrophic WP failure, I don't think I will ever buy another Ford. When I owned my '09 Impala, there was always a Chevy service rep monitoring the Impala forum. I guess Ford doesn't give a crap if they make a blunder like this stupidly placed WP. & obviously they don't give a crap about owner loyalty? Never heard from a Ford rep monitoring this forum?
If you're frustrated with Ford, I wouldn't begin to try and persuade you to stick with them. For me, Ford vehicles have always treated me well. When they do have problems, I get plenty of warning. This time was similar. The leak was a gradual one. Pouring water in there allowed me to continue for a few more days without an issue. The dealer treated me very well. Overall, a positive experience.

Am I disappointed that the water pump had issues at 88K? You bet. Though I'm glad it happened before my warranty ran out. Am I disappointed that it's a pain to work on? Yes. However, I'm also glad that the water pump is the only real issue with this motor. It's great otherwise. Every brand, every model, has some kind of issue.

Now I need to buy some tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK brn ,very good. I had a multitude of vehicles , only Fords, Mercs , & GM products, from 1965 on. A wife had an early Nissan, an 83 , & it was a heap of crap. The old lady had a 07 Toyota Camry , no problems , but very lo mi. when traded , it was very ho hum, in every category. Worked on them all . if its not out of warranty , I do all the work, even the major stuff like replacing engines.

Fords were always pretty good until the mid eighties,had a lot of them ,( all good except a 1967 Mustang I6 I had was a POS , rust bucket , terrible engine) IMHO, from a stand point of working on them, parts costs, & design. I went to GM after the Fierro came out, sold the very ho hum 86 EXP to get it. The 4cyl Fiero was bad, very bad,lots of issues, most fixed by GM under extended warranty they gave , unlike ford on the 3.5 WP issue, & GM owned up to. I also had a 88 Formula V6 that car was GREAT. 175K mi. when sold, no major problems, original WP too! But I took care of that car ,like it was a new born baby, as I do all of my vehicles. I do things 99% of car owners don't dream of doing , both in way sooner than average intervals of maintenance , the best of everything, ie. synthetic oils, & fluids , brake fluid changes & Trans fluid changes every 2 years or so , etc. & aftermarket proven products to increase the longevity & function of a vehicle, often added.

What made me switch to GM was the , Mazda in Fords badging , Probe I had. It had lots of major issues, at faaaar to low mileage to be even close to normal W&T . Both engine & trans problems on that 94 Probe. So in 98 it was GM ever since, until I took a gamble on this Taurus. The Corvette, Camaros, & Impala were pretty good to me no major issues. Just my experience, it seemed Chevy dealers took care of me better than Ford. Had a radio problem 4 days before warranty ran out on this Taurus , & the dealer argued with me till the cows came home, about how they couldn't honor the warranty , because THEY couldn't get to my problem until after 2 days after my warranty ran out. They said technically it would be a day or 2 out of warranty, so they would charge me for this premature problem. Ford Customer service never got back to me after I reported this issue. BS. Yes, just me no more Fords!

·
Registered
144 Posts
It saddens me knowing this is an issue with these cars. I had no idea until this morning when I googled what I need to look out for at 100k. I am at 92k now, and am deathly scared of what could come. Now because I bought this car used, is there a way to tell if the pump has been changed at all? Either the previous owner got rid of the car in fear of what could happen or some other reason. Either way I might end up spending the money and replacing it before I end up without a vehicle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How long have you owned the car and do you have any records of service?
I have only had the cart for a few months. I was actually able to get in touch with the previous owner on Facebook as I found his iPhone name still in the sync system when I was adding my phone. He did not mention to me that he replaced the water pump or chain. He only got rid of it because he wanted to get something different. All highway miles if that means anything. Not looking forward to this project.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Changing the coolant on the recommended schedule helps. But it's not every car. You only hear about the ones that break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No engine failure, but this happened to me. 115k on the dash. Funny enough, I found this issue here browsing the forum MONTHS ago and was trying to figure out if it would be good to trade in the car at the time.
My advice: trade it in, or replace the pump NOW if you are near 100k!

·
Registered
9 Posts
my 2013 SEL with 180000 kms , has small spots on driveway. I actually thought the problem was the oil drain plug that may have become stripped. Turned out to be Water Pump 8 hrs Labour :(( now purrs like the BULL that it is. really do still like this car very much.

Fortunately had an extended warranty 3rd party and they covered all the cost, I paid for new belts and thermostat. kind of silly to not replace all while this was already apart. The shop ( charged no labour for belt replacement or thermostat) as they already had the old ones off.
Roty:)
2013 SEL Taurus

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bad design having it internal. Mine was replaced at 82,000 miles. $2200. I saw yesterday that a class action law suit has been filed against Ford over the water pump issue. It would be a nice surprise if they issued a recall in response and i got reimbursed for some of my cost.
2013 Taurus (166,000 miles) has had a ton more issues than that of my 2007 Explorer (235,000 miles), and my wives 2005 Freestar (200,000 miles)
Now rear passenger side door lock is having issues and door wont open from inside or outside. Unless you pull up on lock at the same time i hit the unlock button.
Radio /cd randomly doesn't work after start. Have to remove key, get out of car and wait 10 sec then restart. then sometimes it will work again.
Ready to be rid of it and get something else.

As I am almost another 82,000 miles since the replacement, will it happen again? anyone know? Ill sell now rather than spend another $2200.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Should I be concerned that I got my water pump repaired at 84,000 miles and now I am at 164,000?
Might it go again after 80,000 +/-, or does Ford repair make life longer?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Buddy has 200K miles on his 2010. Has never touched the water pump
That was the "old" style WP too. Maybe frequent changing of the old Yellow Ford coolant helped? From what I understand the WP pump was upgraded in 2012. From what I have read here it was again upgraded in 2016?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts