Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and salutations!

Rear rotors and pads were replaced 2 months ago.
I noticed a hum coming from the right, rear side of my bull. I jacked up the car and the tire does not spin freely. I removed the tire and then the caliper. The inside pad was very difficult to slide out. I had to pry it loose. I cleaned the clips and put some brake grease on them but the pads still don't seem to float as freely as they should.
There is lots of pad left (no uneven wear) and the rotor looks fine.
Can I file/grind the brake pad ears to remedy this situation?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kekaye56, they certainly do not! I'll get to grinding.

Sheila, the pins are perfect.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Daughter had '05 Buick. Bought used GM dealer with 15K. OE rotors scored so they replaced the rotors and pads before the sale. Son-inlaw calls and said fronts running hot. I went to his house and jacked up a front and had it put in "N". I could not turn the wheel. Took the wheel off and the caliper came off easily. I had to pry the pads out with a big screw driver and hammer. It was at night and they needed the vehicle for a trip next day. He called car parts and they had pads in stock, went and got them. I looked at the old ones and they were poorly punched and the steel had "hang nails" along the edges. New pads from Autozone, same thing. I filed the haing nails off and they slid in with a finger push. Car repair guy I told this to, said not uncommon, he would inspect new ones before or install. Then he noted the rears running hot. So took it back to the dealer and they found bad rear wheel bearings. Clunky loose. New hubs and fixed that issue.
Guide pins effect the outboard only.
-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daughter had '05 Buick. Bought used GM dealer with 15K. OE rotors scored so they replaced the rotors and pads before the sale. Son-inlaw calls and said fronts running hot. I went to his house and jacked up a front and had it put in "N". I could not turn the wheel. Took the wheel off and the caliper came off easily. I had to pry the pads out with a big screw driver and hammer. It was at night and they needed the vehicle for a trip next day. He called car parts and they had pads in stock, went and got them. I looked at the old ones and they were poorly punched and the steel had "hang nails" along the edges. New pads from Autozone, same thing. I filed the haing nails off and they slid in with a finger push. Car repair guy I told this to, said not uncommon, he would inspect new ones before or install. Then he noted the rears running hot. So took it back to the dealer and they found bad rear wheel bearings. Clunky loose. New hubs and fixed that issue.
Guide pins effect the outboard only.
-chart-
The rear bearings were shot at 15K miles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hand filed the ears on the brake pads and all is right with world! (The world of my Taurus brakes, that is.);)

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Vehicle Buick Terraza. Rear bearings were loose, not worn. Poor quality out of the factory. Vehicle was factory buy back, had new engine. Clearly the OE brakes were faulty as it would not score up the rotors in 15K. Maybe the engine fail and brake issues related. Dealer also replaced one front hub twice in few days after purchase. Any one think Ford is better: new Lin Cont. in shop during warranty 19 times. I got the list.
-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any one think Ford is better: new Lin Cont. in shop during warranty 19 times. I got the list.
-chart-
O, I'm sure that no one here, on a website completely based on a specific vehicle, produced by Ford, thinks that Ford is better...

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Factory makes enough but dealer shops make at least half of my issues. The Terraza front hub was lack of ABS signal that turned to be the wire mis routed. I picture this. Shop tells the tec, change the front hub. Tec notices it is not plugged in, but changes the hub anyway. Dealer did that twice before the factory told them what to do. Lin dealer changed the rack & pinion twice and the PS pump before I asked them about the belt. That was the issue. Slipping belt. Lin the steering shaft just below the wheel, bearing fell apart, two times. Key stuck in ignition two times. Key pad replaced an shop messed up the door lock and had a re-do.
With 3 '03 Bulls, there is no warranty, just me. If I make a mistake, it is my secret.
-chart-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts