Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I live in Montreal, Canada, where we literally use tons of salt on the roads because of the crappy winter weather here. I was changing the struts on my 2011 Taurus SEL and I noticed that my caliper guide pins have once again corroded and are sticking. I have had this problem before. The last time I used some brake lubricant like this:

Since I need to clean and repair the guide pins again, I'm going to replace both caliper brackets and guide pins, however, this time I'm planning on sealing the little guide pin boots with some RTV sealant like this:

Hopefully this will keep the salt slush out of the pins. What I'm looking for is the best lubricant for salty/slushy roads and extreme weather changes, (it can go from +35c/95f to -35c/-31f here).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

zog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Real question;is when was last time?
I clean and re lube slides every spring and fall when I swap tires around. Replace boots if damaged. Have not had a problem with sticking slides on any of the fleet since I started doing this many years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice @Big_eddy. What do you use for lube? (err, for the car of course! ;)). BTW, you wouldn't happen to know what steel rims will fit on a SEL with 18" rims?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the stuff I have been using for a few years and it works great. It will not swell the rubber boots and is safe to use for caliper pins. It has many other uses also.
I live in northern Minnesota, so I pretty much live in Canada. They use lots of road salt here also and my car's underside shows it, however I have had no problem with my brake pins since I started using this stuff.

Napa 7651346 SIL Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound Tube, 8 oz.
  • high film strength, stays put and water repellent
  • Applications: brake pads, calipers, rubber boots, fan belts, v-belts, weather stripping, trunk seals and bumpers
  • This is a Napa private branding of american grease stick company (ags) sil-glyde sg-8
  • Chemical Working Temperatures: -20 To 500 Deg. F.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi everyone!

I live in Montreal, Canada, where we literally use tons of salt on the roads because of the crappy winter weather here. I was changing the struts on my 2011 Taurus SEL and I noticed that my caliper guide pins have once again corroded and are sticking. I have had this problem before. The last time I used some brake lubricant like this:

Since I need to clean and repair the guide pins again, I'm going to replace both caliper brackets and guide pins, however, this time I'm planning on sealing the little guide pin boots with some RTV sealant like this:

Hopefully this will keep the salt slush out of the pins. What I'm looking for is the best lubricant for salty/slushy roads and extreme weather changes, (it can go from +35c/95f to -35c/-31f here).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

zog
I always do my work at my brother in laws shop. Anytime we pull the calipers, the pins get wire wheeled and then the jar of green permatex brake grease comes out and is applied to the pins and any other sliders. We still have problems with them getting sticky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts