Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Taurus since 12/28/10 (3 week 325 miles on it) According to the computer I'm gettin 10 miles a gallon on average in city and 14-15 on the highway. Salesman has driven with me and says I'm not rough on the car and drive normally. But I'm gettin horrible gas mileage.
Is anyone else out there having the same issues?
If not approximately what does your computer say you are getting gas mileage city/hwy? I just need to compare to prove that there may be a problem with the car.
Thanks.
P.S. Also does anyone seem to feel their car rides really rough? I did test drive it but apparently not enough as with this car you can feel every bump in the road. Just thought it should ride better than that.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I've had my Taurus since 12/28/10 (3 week 325 miles on it) According to the computer I'm gettin 10 miles a gallon on average in city and 14-15 on the highway. Salesman has driven with me and says I'm not rough on the car and drive normally. But I'm gettin horrible gas mileage.
Is anyone else out there having the same issues?
If not approximately what does your computer say you are getting gas mileage city/hwy? I just need to compare to prove that there may be a problem with the car.
Thanks.
P.S. Also does anyone seem to feel their car rides really rough? I did test drive it but apparently not enough as with this car you can feel every bump in the road. Just thought it should ride better than that.
Maybe a problem. ummm bring it in to the dealer you bought the car from and get your service advisor to explain why computer reads 10 mpg. is cel on?
you have a bumper to bumper warranty take advantage of it. i had a 2010 SHO and she rode fine.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree, defects happen, there are lots of parts in a car, and if one of them happens to not work 100% correctly, it can cause a lot of problems. Make this the dealerships problem. As far as rough ride, the new Taurus does have a sporty feel to it, smooth ride is a relative term. I have not ridden in a new Taurus, but I know several people that have them, and they tell me the ride is smooth.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You need to wait for the engine to break in before taking the mpgs in account. Avoid idling the engine for longer than 3 min during break in, and don't use cruise control yet. My first tank of gas in my new Accent gave me 28 mpgs, the second tank gave me 31mpg, all city driving, same rts and traffic patterns. I should get even better mpgs once I have over 1,000 miles, and your new Taurus should as well. Don't reset the mpg reading unless your driving at least 60 miles at a steady hwy speed, or else the reading will not be accurite. If you reset it, and spend 45 min sitting in traffic, the reading will be very low.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Forgot to mention, did you check the air in the tires? When I bought mine, the tire pressure warning light was on, and the tires were 5lbs low, probably from cold weather and sitting on the lot. Of course the dealer took care of those before I signed the papers, they even filled the tires up with nitrogen for me at no charge. Everything is tight on a new car, so compaired to your old car, this car probably rides as firm as a Corvette.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just as a point of reference, have you computed you you MPG the old fashioned way of paper and pencil or manually with a calulator? It may be just a computer issue. I'm getting anywhere from 17 locally to 20-21 on the road with a 2010 SHO per the computer. Manually, it about 2-4 mpg higher. As for the ride, the roads in the northeast don't exactly bring comfort to my rear no matter what I'm driving. Just completed two trips out on Long Island from Delaware in a Navigator and and Edge. Neither provided any ride comfort on those roads!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took my car in for service today. As far as the service tech and customer service, very nice people. But I'm not too sure about what they stated they found. They said that the computer said it was getting 28 mpg. Even though my car reading was 16.2. They put about 50 miles on the car testing it out. The sales man even did the calculations by a calculator and came up with the same mileage as what the car is showing, not 28 mpg.
As far as the rough ride they said they drove mine and then drove another one just like mine and they rode the same. I told them that my manager has a 2006 Taurus and she said her's rides smoother than mine. And we had company over the weekend and I rode in the back seat of a Dodge Durango and it rode nicer than my Taurus!
I just don't get it. But I guess I'm stuck with it since I bought it. I have bought about 8 cars in my life and this is the first one that I have ever been unhappy with.
I'm going to keep a log when I fill the tank up in tomorrow then we will see what it is saying I'm getting and if my computer (and log) don't say more than 16.2 with 70% hwy driving then it is going back to the shop.
Oh well thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Go into another dealer and drive another Taurus SEL like yours yourself and see about the harsh ride/poor mpg reading. When you get into the other Taurus, reset the mpg readout, and remember what the number is after the test drive. Then reset the mpg readout in your car, and drive the exact same route as the test drive, see what happens. This way, you can see for yourself if there's anything different about your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More info and thank you all for your help.

Thanks Austex that's a great idea.
I did what the other's suggested. I filled my gas tank up. We are 2 miles from a highway. I reset the tripometer as well as the mpg calculation. We drove 116 miles on the highway with the cruise control so we know it isn't our driving. The highway is virtually flat. We we got 20.6 mpg. Better than before but still not near what it should be. I guess I will do some more trips on the highway like that and see if it gets any better. I also will try your suggestion Austex.
I will say short of those two things. I really like the car it is nice and has a lot of creature comforts even though I didn't buy any other upgrades except leather seats and what that package has.
Thanks for everyone's time and help with this. It has really helped. I just want what I paid for and if it really doesn't get the mpg it is suppose to (I know the figures are at absolute optimum driving but it should be within 2-3 miles close to what they suggest)then it will cost me a lot more to own. And something isn't right either and should be corrected by Ford. Also if the ride really is worse than others then they should do something about that as well. All I have to go on it two other people I know that own older Taurus and said their's ride much smoother than mine and then the ride in the Durango that was so much smoother than my Taurus.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
As far as the rough ride they said they drove mine and then drove another one just like mine and they rode the same. I told them that my manager has a 2006 Taurus and she said her's rides smoother than mine. And we had company over the weekend and I rode in the back seat of a Dodge Durango and it rode nicer than my Taurus!
I just don't get it. But I guess I'm stuck with it since I bought it. I have bought about 8 cars in my life and this is the first one that I have ever been unhappy with.
It's important to remember that any 5 year old car will have a softer suspension than when it rolled off the line. The struts in that 06 Taurus are probably much less firm than when it was new. How old is the Durango? I'm not saying that you're incorrect about the ride, I've never driven in the new Taurus so I don't know.

Thanks Austex that's a great idea.
I did what the other's suggested. I filled my gas tank up. We are 2 miles from a highway. I reset the tripometer as well as the mpg calculation. We drove 116 miles on the highway with the cruise control so we know it isn't our driving. The highway is virtually flat. We we got 20.6 mpg. Better than before but still not near what it should be. I guess I will do some more trips on the highway like that and see if it gets any better. I also will try your suggestion Austex.
Is the car AWD or FWD?

AWD MPG ratings:

17 City
25 Hwy
20 Combined

FWD MPG ratings:

18 City
28 Hwy
22 Combined

I will say short of those two things. I really like the car it is nice and has a lot of creature comforts even though I didn't buy any other upgrades except leather seats and what that package has.
Thanks for everyone's time and help with this. It has really helped. I just want what I paid for and if it really doesn't get the mpg it is suppose to (I know the figures are at absolute optimum driving but it should be within 2-3 miles close to what they suggest)then it will cost me a lot more to own. And something isn't right either and should be corrected by Ford. Also if the ride really is worse than others then they should do something about that as well. All I have to go on it two other people I know that own older Taurus and said their's ride much smoother than mine and then the ride in the Durango that was so much smoother than my Taurus.
The old Taurus was based off a design from 1986. The newer unibody is probably much firmer than the old ones. People prefer sporty suspensions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer your questions

It is an FWD. I knew AWD would ride rougher and less gas mileage than the FWD.
I may just need to wait for the suspension to "break in" yet I know it's not going to make a major difference. I figured the 2006 would not have as nice a ride as the 2011 but I don't know so I will take your word on that. But the other person's Taurus is a 2010 SEL and it rides nicer. The Durango is a 2006 as well and a 4 X 4. Dodge Durango's are not known for a nice ride so I was surprised when I rode in the back and it rode much nicer than my Taurus.
But as I said I am going to try another SEL to see how it compares. The other thing is I'm going to wait as you guys suggest to see if it gets better with time.
This is a great forum. I really appreciate all the responses and help you guys have given.
Nancy

·
Registered
121 Posts
How many miles are on the car? You do know during the break in period your gas mileage wont be as good and then will go up over time as the rings seat and the engine is broke in

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It is an FWD. I knew AWD would ride rougher and less gas mileage than the FWD.
I may just need to wait for the suspension to "break in" yet I know it's not going to make a major difference. I figured the 2006 would not have as nice a ride as the 2011 but I don't know so I will take your word on that. But the other person's Taurus is a 2010 SEL and it rides nicer. The Durango is a 2006 as well and a 4 X 4. Dodge Durango's are not known for a nice ride so I was surprised when I rode in the back and it rode much nicer than my Taurus.
But as I said I am going to try another SEL to see how it compares. The other thing is I'm going to wait as you guys suggest to see if it gets better with time.
This is a great forum. I really appreciate all the responses and help you guys have given.
Nancy
The reason why people find trucks and truck like SUVs to be less comfy is more to do with the bobbling and jarring feeling over roads. If you go over a wavy road in the Durango, you'll notice it start to bobble, where the Taurus wouldn't so much. That's generally because of the solid rear axle and more primitive spring systems. It won't only cause bobbling, the impacts from bumps and pot holes will be easily felt on the other side of the car as it transfers the shock to the other wheel. The Taurus might feel stiffer, but it won't do the things that Durango will. Take your Taurus down a dirt road, then the Durango.

If you find that a 2010 Taurus is riding less firm than yours, I would look into any possibilities that they redesigned a suspension component or two from that year. I doubt it though. How many miles does the 2010 have compared to yours? I haven't driven the new Taurus, but I do know the platform and it's other vehicles somewhat, it is a firm riding platform. It was made by Volvo.

Maybe go to a rental place and rent one for a few days to see how it compares?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rough Ride: - Although my SHO (AWD) has a "stiffer ride" than my Continental, it is slightly softer than my previous 2009 RWD (385hp) car.

Gas Milage: - If you are doing a lot of "in town" driving, your milage will vary greatly, tank to tank. Driving around Lake County Florida, I get a low of 16 and a high of 21, depending on how much I drive in town. Because I only purchased this car in early March, (used), I really have not yet taken it on a long trip, however I purchased the car a 140 miles away, in Arcadia FL, and on my drive back to Mt. Dora, half on two lane roads, getting stuck in Lakeland FL traffic, and half on Intertates, I averaged 27.5 mpg.

I will be leaving for my Penfield address at the end of this week, and will have a much better idea of what my mpg will be at that time. I'm sure it will be over 25mpg.

Will report this in a week from now.

BTW, my former 385 hp V8 got 28 mpg on the Interstates, four long trips.
My present 275 hp Continental V8 gets 26 mpg on the Interstates.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I think the whole "rough ride" feel is relative. What is a rough ride to one person might not be rough to another.

Like, with my focus, it has a firm suspension, but what feels fine to me, a lot of others have considered it "harsh". I'm sure it's the same way with the new Taurus. If the suspension on it was made softer instead of sporty, then it would be the other way around. Those who feel the suspension is harsh now would find it perfect, but those who have always been comfortable with a sportier suspension would probably feel the new suspension is "sloppy" or "floaty" or something along those lines.

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Lincoln Cont

Rough Ride: - Although my SHO (AWD) has a "stiffer ride" than my Continental, it is slightly softer than my previous 2009 RWD (385hp) car.

Gas Milage: - If you are doing a lot of "in town" driving, your milage will vary greatly, tank to tank. Driving around Lake County Florida, I get a low of 16 and a high of 21, depending on how much I drive in town. Because I only purchased this car in early March, (used), I really have not yet taken it on a long trip, however I purchased the car a 140 miles away, in Arcadia FL, and on my drive back to Mt. Dora, half on two lane roads, getting stuck in Lakeland FL traffic, and half on Intertates, I averaged 27.5 mpg.

I will be leaving for my Penfield address at the end of this week, and will have a much better idea of what my mpg will be at that time. I'm sure it will be over 25mpg.

Will report this in a week from now.

BTW, my former 385 hp V8 got 28 mpg on the Interstates, four long trips.
My present 275 hp Continental V8 gets 26 mpg on the Interstates.
Well, well, I thought I had the only one around, since they only made about 15K of them in '02.

For those who have never driven one, well, only about 300 pounds heavier than my Sable, but 50% more cubic inches. CI = TORQUE. Torque at low rpm. I have two DOHC Sables and they are nice but: I like Torque:D.

Anyway, mine was made after they stopped taking orders and end of the make, they made up some with left over parts, just a hod-podge of options and colors. Mine a Sable silver. All special options NC on the price, only base less a rebate. However, I think they made mine out of rejected parts. Two rack and pinions, PS pump, two lock cylinders, two half shafts, battery, key pad, PS relay, misfit door seals, two stearing columns, misfit cabin air filter box, and that is all I remember off the top that was done under warrenty. Nothing done since warrenty of note and now 95K and running hard.

I had a 96 Cont and traded it in with about 95K on it for this one. Of course they will never be another one, and I do not drive long, very long tirps any more. Retired and stay close to home now.

Happy motoring.

-chart-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, well, I thought I had the only one around, since they only made about 15K of them in '02.

For those who have never driven one, well, only about 300 pounds heavier than my Sable, but 50% more cubic inches. CI = TORQUE. Torque at low rpm. I have two DOHC Sables and they are nice but: I like Torque:D.

Anyway, mine was made after they stopped taking orders and end of the make, they made up some with left over parts, just a hod-podge of options and colors. Mine a Sable silver. All special options NC on the price, only base less a rebate. However, I think they made mine out of rejected parts. Two rack and pinions, PS pump, two lock cylinders, two half shafts, battery, key pad, PS relay, misfit door seals, two stearing columns, misfit cabin air filter box, and that is all I remember off the top that was done under warrenty. Nothing done since warrenty of note and now 95K and running hard.

I had a 96 Cont and traded it in with about 95K on it for this one. Of course they will never be another one, and I do not drive long, very long tirps any more. Retired and stay close to home now.

Happy motoring.

-chart-
Chartmaker,

This is the third "last generation" Continental we've owned. Two 98's and this 02. Took the Continental out to Roswell NM, then Phoenix, then San Diego, then back home to Florida last December/January. Car drove just fine. Better long distance car than the SHO because it has a more comfortable ride and my wife does not get as tired. Just took the SHO to Western NY, and although more power, it is more tireing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2010 Limited mpg

had Taurus just over 2 weeks, 2nd tank of gas getting better mpg but I know this will probably vary for awhile. HWY still is not good, 22-24 mpg. Heck I'm getting 24 mpg in town right now (hoep that lasts but dont expect it to). 70%+ in town and the rest country roads.

Just an FYI, will report more mpg over time. hoping for better hwy mpg.

using non ethanol gas for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive a 2010 Taurus SEL (35K miles on the clock) and routinely get about 25-28 mpg on the highway and about 10-20 in the city. Yes, the ride is taught but acceptable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Im currently getting an average of 22.5-23 MPG 70% hwy and some city driving. If anyone knows how bad hawaii's freeway system and traffic is, you know its a KILLER for gas mileage. plus, EPA average for this generation is about 22 MPG, so its actually right on point with the EPA estimates. i only have 1900 miles on mine now, but i only expect it to get a little better, and i doubt id see an average of 24-26 MPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts