Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow bull fans,
I was gratefully able to purchase my first ever 6th generation Ford Taurus yesterday. I have always been a Taurus fan and have had a 2nd gen and still have my 3rd gen and now I have a 6th gen and I love it.

I purchased it from a local Ford dealership; it has 100K miles on it and is a 2010 SEL. I really want to do all that I can to keep it running like new and I do not have a lot of money but want to make sure to save and spend what I can to keep the car in great condition.

If any of you experts can possibly just give me some advice on how to keep it running and driving properly, based on this gen and model, I would really appreciate it. I have made an appointment at my local mechanic on Monday for them to do a 24 point inspection and check everything to see if it needs anything currently but it sure doesn't seem to it drives and rides like brand new. And looks it as well. I have never followed a maintence schedule with my past tauruses and didn't have any issues at all and still drive my 99 but I just want to make sure I keep this model running as great as it is today so any advice would be much appreciated and sorry If i babbled on too much. Take care everybody and thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congrats, 9898! Like any car, keep up with oil changes, I wouldn’t go by the book or an oil life indicator ever on any car.. I do mine every 3-4K, but even 5k should be fine.

If it hasn’t had a tune up, I’d put in Motorcraft Iridium plugs. But, depending on how handy you are, you may want to take it somewhere. The upper intake manifold has to be removed to reach the back bank of 3 coils/plugs. When I’m back there, I put in a PCV valve. I’d recommend the upper intake manifold gasket replacement too.

Get MAF spray and occasionally spray your Mass Air Flow sensor. Occasionally clean your throttle body with the spray made just for that.

Coolant changes are a good idea, if one hasn’t been done. Keep it fresh to avoid premature water pump failure. I just changed my thermostat and gasket preventatively at 100k. You end up changing about a 1/2 gal of coolant on that job too.

Those are good for starters..

Enjoy your Taurus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats, 9898! Like any car, keep up with oil changes, I wouldn’t go by the book or an oil life indicator ever on any car.. I do mine every 3-4K, but even 5k should be fine.

If it hasn’t had a tune up, I’d put in Motorcraft Iridium plugs. But, depending on how handy you are, you may want to take it somewhere. The upper intake manifold has to be removed to reach the back bank of 3 coils/plugs. When I’m back there, I put in a PCV valve. I’d recommend the upper intake manifold gasket replacement too.

Get MAF spray and occasionally spray your Mass Air Flow sensor. Occasionally clean your throttle body with the spray made just for that.

Coolant changes are a good idea, if one hasn’t been done. Keep it fresh to avoid premature water pump failure. I just changed my thermostat and gasket preventatively at 100k. You end up changing about a 1/2 gal of coolant on that job too.

Those are good for starters..

Enjoy your Taurus!

Thank you for your time and advice. I have written it down and will begin to look into these things when I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would replacing the water pump now at 100K miles be a good idea to prevent a possible engine failure issue that can happen with this model? I'll post my results from my inspection from the mechanic after I get the car and results back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wish I had taken the time to do some research on this specific model, I did a little but didn't delve deep enough until after my purchase. With over 100K, being a 2010-2014 model and no service records indicating that the water pump has been changed I am starting to feel like the safest thing for me to do to keep the car in dependable and safe condition is to replace the water pump before it goes out on the freeway or worse destroys the engine.

This is a very costly expense that I cannot afford and just spent what I had on the car but the last thing I want to happen is the water pump to go out and cost much much more if I want to keep the car. So all I can hope is that If i have a new water pump put in hopefully that will buy me some good years of reliability with this car since i do not put a ton ofmiles each year on my vehicle.

One of my center console doors quit clicking closed so now it just stays open. I have seen the repair steps on here but will have to pay to have it repaired if i want it repaired as my time is very limited.

If anybody has a 2010-2014 3.5L Taurus I would appreciate some feedback and review points in terms of mileage and repair items/costs. How dependable it is and what your experiences are with it in terms of dependability.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
216 Posts
9898 - keep in mind, we don’t actually know from a statistical standpoint how many of these 3.5L/3.7L engines have the water pump failures. These engines are in the Taurus, Explorer, Edge, Flex, and more. It’s likely a very small percentage. I have 101k on mine and have no intention of a preventative water pump change. I do keep an eye on the coolant, and I change the coolant about every 30k. I’ve invested a lot in this car keeping it like new, so if the water pump fails, I’ll be crushed, but could buy an LKQ engine or one on eBay.. bottom line, it’s like everything else in life. Statistically, it’s “possible” a lot of bad things could happen, but why dwell on it? What we usually don’t hear is when everything is going well, because no one takes to the Internet to tell us when things are good. Look online for how many late model Taurus models are for sale with 150-300k miles. Quite a few..

Regarding your center console latch, look on eBay or car-part.com and find a nice salvage one and switch it out. No biggie..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts