Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2010 Taurus Limited FWD, 97k miles, I got an estimate from a shop near me for new front lower control arms, wheel bearings, and front struts, nearly 2k total with labor. Does this sound about right? How much have you guys payed for such things? I know they do need to replaced for awhile now but I just finally got time being off from work and school from the virus. Thank You!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, I would imagine so, it’s a Goodyear shop. He said he’s ordering the parts from Ford so I’m assuming it will be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It ain't cheap but sounds about right for a shop work. As sheila said you can get the proper parts for ~500 bucks (probably closer to 6-7 factoring tax/shipping). You will also need alignment which will probably run 100~150 bucks. If you can DIY you can save a boatload of money, it's all just nuts and bolts. Of course if the shop is getting parts from the dealer, it ain't gonna be 500 for the same parts; Ford charged me 700 just to replace one wheel bearing (yea I know I got hosed, I had no choice) with cost of bearing stated as $340 ($150 @ rockauto). For a mechanic I'd say it all is about a 6 hour job + cost of alignment so 2k does not sound outrageous.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
397 Posts
Gotcha, I would imagine so, it’s a Goodyear shop. He said he’s ordering the parts from Ford so I’m assuming it will be.
My memory is fuzzy, but I think it was control arms...

A [good] Ford dealer quoted me $1500 on a Mountaineer. I called a trustworthy Firestone dealer to see what they would charge. They told me they had to buy the parts from Ford for $1200, as they weren't available elsewhere. I forget the labor charge, but Firestone told me I'd save money by going to the dealer.

Twice that Firestone has sent me to the dealer. I keep going back to that Firestone.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That’s a fair price. I’ve replaced all that DIY. The bearings and lower control arms weren’t fun. Loaded struts were easy enough. You’d be more like $1200-1400, buying all this stuff Motorcraft. If you don’t mind putting in aftermarket, like Moog and KYB on your car like I did, you’d save a chunk of change. For what it’s worth, you may want to consider just buying used knuckles, put the new bearings into these knuckles, then just dispose your old knuckle/bearing assemblies.. You’ve already got to remove the struts and control arms anyway so you’re just adding the task of removing outer tire rods, and your axle nut / half shaft, to remove the knuckle/bearing assembly. Get a good 3/4” inch breaker bar and 3/4” torque wrench and proper socket to get the axle nut back on at the right torque in the air, then re-adjust on the ground (~250ft lbs, iirc). This approach eliminates the fiasco of getting the bearings out (probably the hardest part of everything you listed)... food for thought... Lightly used knuckles on ebay for a reasonable price...

If I had to do over, I’d do it this way. The bearings were a PITA...

Get a good ball joint separator, pry bar, etc.

Have a second dude to help...

Or, just fork out the $2k and save some hair loss or worse, LOL....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts