Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found someone selling the head unit with navigation from a 2010 SHO. Will this unit be a plug and play in my 2011 sel without navigation? Will I need more then what's in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just saw this thread, haha.

What I do need to know is if your Taurus currently has SYNC already, just a non-navigation enabled unit. Or if it does not have SYNC and currently has the 4.2 inch non-touch screen center display.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ouch, it's that one.
Alright, so there's a way to do it, however it's going to be complicated and not something I've directly looked into. But I know it's actually possible.

This was something confirmed working on the Mustang, but for the Taurus I will look into and make a tutorial on it if it's a possibility. What was done is stripping and/or repining the connector that connects from the internal wiring loom to the back of the SYNC radio. The one you have (the non-touch screen interface) uses a different connector than the SYNC2 and SYNC3 APIMs.

Again, I will look into this more and see what's involved as it seems this is a modification that many are growing interest in.

What would be involved from this point in time I'm guessing would be a new Sony center control stack with the 8" opening for the SYNC2/SYNC3 interface, a new USB hub inside the center console storage, and of course the SYNC2 or SYNC3 APIM itself. There would also either be obtaining a new connector and stripping the old one out, or it could be simply repining the old connector into the new one which would be my guess as to what may be the case.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I told you he was good at this sort of stuff! ;-)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was actually going to say the exact same thing as Admiral. I know 4d tech offers a conversion kit, but I am not entirely sure if it would work in your case being that you do not have a 4 inch screen.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Unfortunately, 4D doesn't offer their overpriced conversion kits for the Taurus to accommodate the 8" screens. That leads me to believe it isn't possible for the Taurus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This was something confirmed working on the Mustang, but for the Taurus I will look into and make a tutorial on it if it's a possibility. What was done is stripping and/or repining the connector that connects from the internal wiring loom to the back of the SYNC radio. The one you have (the non-touch screen interface) uses a different connector than the SYNC2 and SYNC3 APIMs.

Again, I will look into this more and see what's involved as it seems this is a modification that many are growing interest in.
I join the OP in his plight and pain. (not thread hacking) I have a 4.2" screen on a 13 taurus interceptor, no bluetooth. What can I or we do to help figure this out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
After doing some minor research, I can confidently declare this is absolutely a possibility.
I can also confidently say this would be a whole new level of pain in the a**.

Here's what I assume will be involved: Either creating a wire harness that connects to the ACM (Audio Control Module), the FCIM (Front Controls Interface Module), the USB/media hub, and the new 8" APIM. Or, stripping lots of wiring and adding in new wires and connectors.
At this point in time, I do not have any wiring diagrams yet to see how this is all functional with the 4.2" screen. However, the end result is simply a series of re-pinning and re-routing the current wiring loom controlling the infotainment system to communicate correctly with how the 8" is supposed to operate within the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is it about the taurus that's making it difficult?
cause ive also seen, for example, a fusion 4" to 8" kit on at 4dtech. is the wiring for the 13 taurus going to be different from the 13 fusion? obviously im no expert, but if the 8" screens are interchangeable on the two vehicles, would the harnesses not also be interchangebale or at least close enough with minor modifications?

·
Registered
10 Posts
the website INFOTAINMENT has a 4" to 8" (2011 - 2018) ford explorer upgrade kit, as expensive as the 4dtech kits ($1899).
not sure if the taurus and the explorer share the same wiring. i thought they did after the 13 interceptor PI and interceptor PIU releases

·
Registered
234 Posts
The kits for vehicles for 4" to 8" are for those that have SYNC already. My guess that ones aren't available for the Taurus is that the APIM mounts at the rear of the center console. They would have to make the adapter harness extra long for just this one vehicle and they are choosing not to. That is just my guess. In the PI Sedan the APIM (when SYNC equipped) is mounted in the passenger kick panel area. Also a long harness run.

Now to get into the can I add SYNC to a non SYNC vehicle. You can do almost anything but the big question is....is it feasible? I looked into this years ago when the PI Sedan first came out. I don't think it is but if you have your heart set on it, it could be done.

Going from memory you have to swap out the proper steering wheel buttons, reprogram the SCCM, add the microphone, add the GPSM (for basic SYNC/MFT) add all the proper wiring which involves twisted pair CAN BUS lines, twisted pairs for other systems, shielded, shielded twisted pairs for some things, etc. You would have to add all of this and tap into sources or tear the complete dash down and replace the entire dash harness with the proper OEM one. Then the physical APIM and programming of it along with programming of other modules that tell the vehicle it has SYNC etc.

As @AdmiralSparklez eluded to....a MAJOR pain in the ass.

Many thought oh, the SYNC option is only $295 on the sticker, it must be pretty cheap/easy to add. It isn't!

With all this said we are a bit off topic as the OP was talking about a navigation center to a 2010 which is a system that pre-dates SYNC2/MFT.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Explorer and the Taurus share roughly the same wiring, however there are differences.

Let's say buying a kit from 4DTech for an Explorer or a Fusion might work, however the Taurus was and is neglected and doesn't have nearly the same amount of modules as every other Ford vehicle, let alone updated module platforms. The Taurus does not have a dedicated gateway, it does not have a G series BCM, it does not have a TCM, etc. That is what makes this extremely annoying to deal with anything electrical and programming-wise in this particular car.

However, having a harness kit from 4DTech is a huge help regardless because it connects everything that needs to be connected. The FCIM, APIM, SCCM, USB interfaces, and everything else communicate through that harness. That harness can be modified to a longer length if needed, as well as be re-pinned if required. The biggest issue here is cost. Yes, this is all possible. But with the Taurus being the neglected platform it is, this isn't as modular of an internal wiring loom as other Ford vehicles have been. My guess would be that swapping in the 8" system is just plain expensive as far as we know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have the same question as the OP and I didn't see a clear answer, so I'll try again. If I should make a new thread, let me know.

I have a 2012 Limited with Sync but no Sony audio and no full screen display, just the 2 line info screen. I'd like to replace it with an OEM nav unit from a 2010-2012. I'm not concerned with trying to upgrade that unit to SYNC2 or SYNC3 at this point, just looking to replace my non-screen version with the full screen touch version that was OEM equipment for these years. Is this something that's possible?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts