Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Ford Taurus Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just recently picked up a 2010 limited that has the built-in nav system, I would really like to replace the system with a android auto head unit or something that would interface with the built in system to give it that kind of functionality. When doing search on the web or using a stereo outfitting website I can not find anything that is listed that will work with the built in nav option. I found a form on this site where a user retrofitted his 2013 from sync 2 to sync 3 which I would not mind doing but I believe the 2010 is sync 1 and dont think it will work (link to the post (Ford SYNC2 to SYNC3 Upgrade | Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum (taurusclub.com)). Since the car is low miles I am willing to put some money into replacing the stereo system for more modern features (like not having the nav system be years out of date). I am sorry if there is a post regarding this topic on here but I did not find anything on my searches. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nerdin4Life

·
Registered
52 Posts
The post above will work - I did the same conversion about a year ago.

As long as the APIM from the donor car has all the features you want, it will be plug and play. Sync 3 is INFINITELY better than Sync 2 IMO - and comes with android/apple carplay.

Just find a 2017+ Ford Taurus Limited or SHO APIM (try to find pictures of the APIM working if possible. Then follow all the guides from the post above - Youtube also has a surprising amount of help for this conversion.

All in all - the conversion cost me around $250 with used parts (car-part.com) and the conversion wiring kits (I found them on OEM Ford SYNC3 upgrades conversion|add navigation|BLIS|ACC|OEMUPGRADES , but purchased the necessary parts from Amazon or the cheaper options).

·
Registered
2010 Ford Taurus Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The post above will work - I did the same conversion about a year ago.

As long as the APIM from the donor car has all the features you want, it will be plug and play. Sync 3 is INFINITELY better than Sync 2 IMO - and comes with android/apple carplay.

Just find a 2017+ Ford Taurus Limited or SHO APIM (try to find pictures of the APIM working if possible. Then follow all the guides from the post above - Youtube also has a surprising amount of help for this conversion.

All in all - the conversion cost me around $250 with used parts (car-part.com) and the conversion wiring kits (I found them on OEM Ford SYNC3 upgrades conversion|add navigation|BLIS|ACC|OEMUPGRADES , but purchased the necessary parts from Amazon or the cheaper options).

Hey Ribeye,

Thank you for the reply back, looking at your photos your original sync system is newer then mine. I have the Sync with Voice-Activated Navigation not the MyFord Touch. Just wanted to clarify if you still think it will work before I pull the trigger on it, took some pictures of what it current in my car now.

Stereo Overview
Car Radio Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

Software Version
Output device Gadget Auto part Technology Automotive design

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah - Yes, this appears to be one that does not work - From what I can tell, that was a Windows based unit and the Sync 2/3 were Blackberry based.

All of the specs/wiring/physical dimensions are different and would not work to swap out.

Looks like you would need to go aftermarket to find what you would need here. I'm not sure of the "ready-to-go" options here.

·
Registered
2010 Ford Taurus Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, that is what I figured. There is a dash kit from metra that is like a 80% working replacement that will not interface with the stock amplifiers with the sony system and allegedly it does not work with push button start systems. I did find a system that will interface with the OEM nav screen that will give apple carplay and android auto functionality. From the comments and reviews I found people seem to be happy with it, I think I will go down that route and see how it works. For anyone else that is interested here is the link to the product FORD TAURUS 2010 2011 2012 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI (navtool.com). I contacted their support since the product only says apple carplay but they did confirm that it works with android auto as well. Again thanks for the help Ribeye and confirming what I thought would not work but hopping it would haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.