Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Living in Indiana has been hard this winter, but with a heated garage and low miles and usually a clean not driven each day great Taurus, the chrome is peeling around the tail lamps! Just noticed this today and could be salt related or the low temperatures and snow? Any one else, now after checking, notice this or just lucky me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Should be covered under paint/trim part of the warranty, take it into the dealer. I assume new Taurus owners should expect the same thing after a few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Rick,

Just joined earlier today, while looking up info on the same problem. I just noticed the chrome peeling this past Wed., and I know I'm pretty sure it wasn't there the previous week when I was out shopping and then hosing down the salt on the car.I live in Syracuse, and wondered of it had to do with the bitter cold and snow we had last week too. I took it in to the dealer on Thurs., they took pictures of all 4 sections of the lights and submitted it to Ford. In five minutes, they responded back with approval for replacement of all 4 sections.They'll be in towards the end of the week.Still really not sure what caused it, one of the service people mentioned a Fusion had come in last week too, and he thought it was some sealing(coating) problem.I just bought my car used with 13.600 mi on it on 12/23, other then for this, I really love the car. I drove to NY for the holidays and really enjoyed the ride, handling and gas milage, not to mention the "that's the new Taurus" comments.I now have just about 14950 mi and all is well .Hope this helped you out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem this summer in Houston. Noticed the problem 2 days after I picked the car up. Ford knows its a problem and they will replace them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got all four tail lamps replaced under warranty after Dealership took a ton of pictures. Yes as others have noted pictures not only of the defective lamps, but the spedo and VIN number were required of Ford, for approval.

What do you think all four lamps list for? Would you believe $756.24!

Hope these replacements are not from the same, now defunct vendor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read article about this before.. Ford recently admit this flaws and they are replacing this. Just inform them. It sure a waste of time. how can Ford do this. -_-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only 3 of the 4

Dealer only replace 3 of the 4 trims, guess I have to wait for the fourth to start peeling. :( before they replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrome Peeling Tail Lights 2010 SHO

Just came from dealer. Larry Hill Ford Cleveland TN. They played dumb. Service writer Robert is a real know it all. Tried to tell me it was because my bumper was repainted? Anyway, Called Ford, have a case number. Will follow up to let you know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It must be a VERY common issue since I bought my 2011 show last week with 43 miles on the odometer here in Hawaii and it has the same defect as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow -up

Hi Rick,

Just joined earlier today, while looking up info on the same problem. I just noticed the chrome peeling this past Wed., and I know I'm pretty sure it wasn't there the previous week when I was out shopping and then hosing down the salt on the car.I live in Syracuse, and wondered of it had to do with the bitter cold and snow we had last week too. I took it in to the dealer on Thurs., they took pictures of all 4 sections of the lights and submitted it to Ford. In five minutes, they responded back with approval for replacement of all 4 sections.They'll be in towards the end of the week.Still really not sure what caused it, one of the service people mentioned a Fusion had come in last week too, and he thought it was some sealing(coating) problem.I just bought my car used with 13.600 mi on it on 12/23, other then for this, I really love the car. I drove to NY for the holidays and really enjoyed the ride, handling and gas milage, not to mention the "that's the new Taurus" comments.I now have just about 14950 mi and all is well .Hope this helped you out.
Just a follow up to my earlier post.My lights were replaced as stated above looked perfect!! Unfortunately in April, I was hit by someone who ran a 4 way stop sign and my Taurus was totaled due to a small crack in frame where the impact was on the front driver's side. I was able to open the door & walk out, just a bit shaken.Due to the fact that I was able to walk out of the car on my own,and that I loved the car, I was able to find the exact car after a month of searching. Got my new one on May 9th, and noticed the same thing again (last month) with the light trim again, only this time I noticed bubbling up on my grille too. Took it to the dealer, they again took a bunch of pictures and Ford replaced all the lights and grille 3 wks ago. Everything looks great now, except that I just noticed the chrome on 2 of my wheels is chipping off now. I do not parallel park,as all the parking done is in lots & my driveway(my street actually has no curbs & sidewalks),so it can't be because I hit anything, plus there would be a dent, which there isn't. The 2 wheels affected are also on opposite sides too, front passenger and rear driver sides. Curious as to see if anyone else has run across this problem??

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2011 Limited, and it has the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Since the problem is well documented by now, there usually isn't any problem getting the peeling chrome taillights replaced, my dealer did it with no problems, just needed photos and vehicle ID info for Ford. I am thinking that the chrome wheels would be covered as long as the car is still within the warranty period.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The chrome on the very bottom of the ford badge on the trunk is pitting. Taking my car in for service on friday and gonna have them take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I believe that since this is a well known issue both the tail lights and the Ford badges, that both should be taken care under the TSB. @Tony, even though your warranty period is up, this problem has occurred on almost all of the SHO's produced for 2010, so if you have any kind of relationship with the dealer, they should help you get this taken care of...however, they do have to take pictures of the tail lights and submit it to Ford for approval...this is standard procedure, so if the dealer tells you that, it is the truth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts