Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the AX4S out of the 2000. The root cause of failure seems to be the splines in the torque converter that drive the pump shaft. The pump seems free and OK, Shaft splines look OK, as does the rest of the shaft.

Engine (Vulcan) has 200k. Head gaskets replaces at about 175K.

My best options seem to be:

1. New/rebuilt TC and bolt up the old trans. (Cheapest but the trans guts still have 200k)
2. Used (boneyard) lower mileage trans and TC. (More expensive, but not a ticking time bomb.)
3. Rebuild guts myself. Cheaper than used, but more work. I've rebuilt an AOD before, but this is my first experience with FWD.

What should I do?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Finally got the AX4S out of the 2000. The root cause of failure seems to be the splines in the torque converter that drive the pump shaft. The pump seems free and OK, Shaft splines look OK, as does the rest of the shaft.

Engine (Vulcan) has 200k. Head gaskets replaces at about 175K.

My best options seem to be:

1. New/rebuilt TC and bolt up the old trans. (Cheapest but the trans guts still have 200k)
2. Used (boneyard) lower mileage trans and TC. (More expensive, but not a ticking time bomb.)
3. Rebuild guts myself. Cheaper than used, but more work. I've rebuilt an AOD before, but this is my first experience with FWD.

What should I do?
How long do you plan on keeping this car? If you want it to last, and have piece of mind, I would take it out, and have a rebuild done, with new tc. If you don't plan on keeping the car more than a few years, look for a low mile junkyard transmission, but put in a new tc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to sell it. I have a friend who is interested. If it was mine I would rebuild it myself and if I ended up on the side of the road, it would be my problem. Selling it I want to put it back together as cheap as possible without it blowing up in a month or two. I'm leaning towards the boneyard transmission and a new TC.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well, if your friend is really interested, see if he wants to invest some $$ in the job as the next owner. He'll get some peace of mind about his new car & you won't have to spend your own money on parts. I'm sure you can both come to a win-win agreement on parts and labor, or he's not really interested, then go cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts