Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife says that anyone could walk into a Ford dealership and purchase a new 2009 Taurus SEL for 3% over invoice. I negotiated this exact deal, and she thinks that this is the norm. I researched this at Kelly Blue Book, and they said that according to their records of thousands of actual sales of cars equipped exactly like mine, that the average sale price was $1500. more than I paid. I'm sure that there are many people that paid less than me, but i wondered what everyone else's take is on this?

RDave

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I would say that 3% over invoice is an average price. When you look at the fact that the average is only $1500.00 more, thats not much. My question to you is, is there a trade involved in this deal?? That would be a big differance there. I also know that if your having the dealer set up or find financing that makes a differance also. I have found when financing a car, have your own set up before you walk into the dealer and you will get a better deal in the end and may get closer to invoice price. If your going in with cash, the dealers dont like that becasue they loose money on the sale then.
I have found go in with financing done, dont tell them there is a trade till the very end and if they dont want to deal, just tell them you will walk and find a deal elsewhere, its always worked for me.
BUT.......3% above invoice is better than nothing off these days.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (RDave @ Apr 19 2009, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718803
My wife says that anyone could walk into a Ford dealership and purchase a new 2009 Taurus SEL for 3% over invoice. I negotiated this exact deal, and she thinks that this is the norm. I researched this at Kelly Blue Book, and they said that according to their records of thousands of actual sales of cars equipped exactly like mine, that the average sale price was $1500. more than I paid. I'm sure that there are many people that paid less than me, but i wondered what everyone else's take is on this?

RDave[/b]
Yes, it's the same price that anyone that knows about buying cars can negotiate. Did this also include the holdback or not? They don't like it when you touch that because they claim that's what it costs them to prep the car and pay for the lights and so forth. At the very least, you should be able to get a price lower than carsdirect.com or just get it from carsdirect.com if you can't. Just for kicks, I ran it through and it came up with the invoice price and after the $2500 rebate, it comes in $2500 below invoice. You usually have to do some additional research on the particular model because there are sometimes additional factory to dealer incentives that aren't disclosed to you that effectively lowers their invoice price. For instance, if dealers seller a certain number of cars, they get some sort of monthly discount, but of course that's not going to show in the invoice price. It's how they can technically lose money on every car they sell, but still make it up in volume! Of course dealer profits overall are horrible, average dealerships only make 2-3% and it's probably even less now as lots are going out of business due to the slow economy.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I can tell you what i paid.

2008 ford taurus sel
sticker 23g
out the door 17g with 6/100g ESP

from the original post of when I bought her.

do not know invoice price. I walked out a couple of times. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Another side note, with all the employee pricing going on around the dealers now..... My father worked at Ford so I was able to get what was called "A" plan or "Z" plan until both my parents had passed away. This is something they dont tell you, but Ford would set the price the dealer had to sell the car for A & Z plan purchases and that was 3% BELOW invoice, and the dealer couldnt change that. The thing you could get stuck on was if you had a trade, then all the dealer had to give was Blue Book price no matter what. My point is, you should be able to get really close to invoice price no matter who you are these days and 3% is still pretty far off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (DLC360 @ Apr 19 2009, 09:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718925
Another side note, with all the employee pricing going on around the dealers now..... My father worked at Ford so I was able to get what was called "A" plan or "Z" plan until both my parents had passed away. This is something they dont tell you, but Ford would set the price the dealer had to sell the car for A & Z plan purchases and that was 3% BELOW invoice, and the dealer couldnt change that. The thing you could get stuck on was if you had a trade, then all the dealer had to give was Blue Book price no matter what. My point is, you should be able to get really close to invoice price no matter who you are these days and 3% is still pretty far off.[/b]
DLC360,

my wife got me confused with the numbers. I am getting the car under the X plan which is $125.00 or 0.4% UNDER invoice. Better than +$758.00 which is 3% over invoice that my wife had calculated. I am trading in a 2001 LX with 3.0 Vulcan that has leaking oilpan and valve cover gaskets and some slight trans leaks, but has a body in good shape and new tires. They are giving me $1500.00 as a trade-in. :(

RDave

PS: your Ghoulardi avatar cought my eye immediatly. I grew up watching him blow-op plastic models in the 60's! :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Keep in mind that the published invoice is not what the dealer paid for the car. Their cost is less than that.

With an '09 Taurus, I would be surprised if the dealer didn't take an offer of 3% over published invoice without arguing too much. Risoworker's deal is more what you should be paying...the Gen 5 is not selling and they're going to need to clear them out to make room for the 2010. I wouldn't buy one for invoice, let alone 3% over.

FWIW, most of the Ford dealers near me are still selling new 2008s. You can get a serious deal if it's the car you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Apr 20 2009, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719040
Keep in mind that the published invoice is not what the dealer paid for the car. Their cost is less than that.

With an '09 Taurus, I would be surprised if the dealer didn't take an offer of 3% over published invoice without arguing too much. Risoworker's deal is more what you should be paying...the Gen 5 is not selling and they're going to need to clear them out to make room for the 2010. I wouldn't buy one for invoice, let alone 3% over.

FWIW, most of the Ford dealers near me are still selling new 2008s. You can get a serious deal if it's the car you're looking for.[/b]
yea i did get an awesome deal.
i wish they dealed with me on that volvo s80 i wanted.
:angry: the wife squashed that car deal. :angry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts