Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2008 ford taurus sel awd. I can't get a four wheel alignment because the shop says it needs rear ball joints. I cannot find any at any of my parts houses. Does the 2008 taurus awd have rear ball joints. Also I cannot find any sway bar bushings, that mount to the body anywhere. What is up with these problems?

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Odd. Yeah I don't think there is a ball joint on the rear. Just some rubber bushings. There are two lateral arms and a trailing arm. Theres an upper control arm too but I don't think it has a ball joint, just a rubber bushing. Take a look. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm honestly not sure how much alignment can actually be done on the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another problem I found with this 2008 ford taurus is I can't find sway bar bushings, which attach to the body. Not the links. Ford told me I would have to buy each sway bar to get the bushings. That is not a good way to do business. Does anyone know where I can find bushings for this ford? I know the front sway bar is 26mm width and the rear is 14mm.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Why do you need the bushings? Thats a really odd thing to fail for a car from 2008. If you follow the sway bar the bushings are where the sway bar attaches to the body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And that is the bushings I'm wanting to replace. They make a clunking sound when I hit bumps and holes in the road.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
You're sure its the bushings? I'm really doubting its the bushings on the sway bar.

Thats such an unlikely failure.

First check
-Control arms
-Strut mounts/struts
-Sway bar end links

MUCH more common to go bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I just had the whole front end redone. Including struts, sway bar links, and control arms. The bushings are cracked and swelling outside the brackets.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Just an odd failure. Usually even when they get old and cracked they don't make noise unless they are completely gone. Are you sure they replaced the strut mounts when they did the front? The rear strut mounts are so hard to replace so those likely aren't replaced if those struts were replaced. The rear struts fail especially fast on this car too. I doubt it is rear strut mounts but the struts themselves can make noise.

I take it you found the bushings though? Replace and let me know if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will. Did not replace the rear struts though. I'm now replacing the PTO, since the one on the car was leaking on the seal. Mechanic it would be just as easy to change the whole unit. He also installed a drain plug on the PTO so I can service it periodically. Found a brand new unit with all the upgrades for $640.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Howdy, any way to post mfg & part numbers & prices? What is PTO? (Power take off like on aa tractor??)
I recently picked up a 08 Taurus X AWD and will likely have to do at least some brake and susp work before winter. Btw, I'm in Athens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts