Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are a family of 4 Ford Tauruses and one of them went down to school with my daughter. Someone had hit her from behind and caused some rear end damage. She was advised to take it to the local body shop near school since we are about 400 miles away obviously too far for our trusted mechanic to fix. Just recently, the car came home and I noticed a couple of things that were not right. Primarily, the rear bumper was not aligned with the upper body (driver side) and there was a yellow adhesive in between the joints. I am thinking that the tabs / pins are busted therefore the glue. Unfortunately, we are not sure if the body shop fixed it this way or it has been this way for a while.

Question: Are there any instructions or hints on how to take the rear bumper off and replace the tabs? Or am I stuck with a Gorilla Glued bumper? Any help/advice would be appreciated. I need this car to last 4 years!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Get a good bumper cover from the JY, or buy a new one (at least a few years ago, Rock Auto had them for a reasonable price) and have a body shop paint it and install it, or paint it with rattle cans and install it yourself.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find a bumper cover at the JY in the correct color and just put it on.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Agree with the JY bumper. I had a Silver Frost Taurus that was totaled by a deer hitting the door and front fender. I trip to a couple of Pull A Part JYs and I had the parts for less than a hundred dollars and perfect color match. It sometimes takes looking at a few yards to find a decent part.

I believe on Ebay you can get custom color match large rattle cans to do a bumper. Only thing is there use to be a flex additive added to the paint for flex bumpers.

Internet is a wonderful thing if you search it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a good bumper cover from the JY, or buy a new one (at least a few years ago, Rock Auto had them for a reasonable price) and have a body shop paint it and install it, or paint it with rattle cans and install it yourself.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find a bumper cover at the JY in the correct color and just put it on.
Thanks Jeff...I really would like to know how to take it apart or know where the clips are located. I have feeling that the previous owner broke a couple of these clips and resorted to super glue.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Here is a link to Ebay that has good pics of rear bumper showing attachments Using this and some U tube videos for a 2007 should give you a good idea of how to get it apart and where the attachment s are. You can you a site like Ford Parts.com to see if there are parts available.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love stories like this, not because of the misfortune but for the comfort knowing that the 2 I've been having to work on have similar dumb things

1 - 6 of 6 Posts