Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, newbie here -- apologies if this isn't the right area for this post, but we're at the end of our rope and need answers!!!

About 1000km (roughly 600 miles) shy of her warranty expiring, my mother's 2008 Taurus Limited started having problems with the cruise control randomly dying. Sometimes it works; sometimes it starts, but drops out; other times, it doesn't work at all. There have also been several instances now where, after sitting for a few hours/overnight, the car was dead in the water when she tried to start it. These seemed to follow the cruise control failures, and the car would need to be boosted or towed back to the dealer; dealer checks the car over, can't find anything wrong, gives it back. She then has maybe a few days grace before the whole process starts over again.

She's tried plugging in/unplugging things to see if that's causing a battery drain; made sure that there are no lights left on or doors left open; we can find nothing specific correlating to the battery drain other than the cruise control issues. She's been a month trying to get this figured out, and is currently on her fifth trip to the dealer after another no-start this morning -- which nearly cost us a scheduled surgery, and the problems have already cost her show tickets and other appointments. And as of today, she's also being told that her tow and boost costs are no longer covered under warranty/roadside. :huh:

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated here... My mother loves that car and doesn't want to get rid of it, but may have to if the problem isn't solved; she can't be stuck without a reliable vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
with the car being close to the end of the warranty, the dealer will not find anything wrong. with the battery draining it sounds like you have a weak alt or battery or a parasitic drain. have the alt and battery tested at auto zone under load ( air on, lights and radio ) and see if it will pass the test. if it does then you have a parasitic drain. if it fails then that would be the problem. if the battery or alt is weak but still within specs for the dealer they will not replace it. low voltage will play hell on systems in the car. it maybe what is causing the issue with the cruise control it might not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Agreed, we have a feeling they're "not finding anything" because she's almost out of warranty (this particular dealer doesn't have the greatest service/repair reputation, either). Good thing my mom is stubborn like me... ;) I will definitely forward this info on to her!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I think she's already planning on going higher with it... Seems like they're probably just doing basic diagnostics and not investigating far enough into it. As it is, she's already told them that she is NOT taking it back until they find the problem and fix it -- and she has their loaner car until they do. :p She also told the service dept that she'd be looking for information herself and would let them know if she finds anything... Funny how the car owner has to try to diagnose her own car problems when it's already in the shop... :rolleyes2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts